• This topic has 159 replies, 82 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 160 total)
  • Bands probably forgotten, but it's a shame….
  • anagallis_arvensis

Was listenning to That Petrol Emotion recently..great stuff.
    How about Back To The Planet?

kilo

dingabell – Member

Can I have ‘That Petrol Emotion’ and ‘The Housemartins’ too?

Good call, saw both of them, both great. Manic Pop Thrill is a superb album.

The Redskins anyone? Split up a week before I was due to see them and iirc the Smiths pulled a gig the same week 🙁

curto80
    Free Member

@Northwind you are punk and I am folk but we can both love the same band for different things and that’s cool (but I am right and you are wrong 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DezB
    Free Member

Dinosaur Jr.
    Still touring. Saw them last year. Never realised what an amazing bass player Lou Barlow is.

Can’t believe Hora mentioned Elastica.
    To be fair, the album sounds better now than it did then.
    Saw them live, supporting Pulp and they were pretty poor. If it hadn’t been for Donna I may have exited to the bar. 🙂

Here follows one of the best live bands ever, shame Bill Carter doesn’t seem to be playing geeetar and making his fingers bleed no more
    (One of my rare incursions into the Youtube comments section!)
    [video]https://youtu.be/2Yc-X2lG_HM[/video]

ransos
    Free Member

Three pages, and no mention of the Longpigs. Sheesh.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dutG1mcfkpo[/video]

slowoldman

Family.

DezB
    Free Member

colournoise
    A few more from the era we all seem to be rose-tinting.

Ash

You need to miss them no longer… http://www.ash-official.com/shows/ 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well these formed a part of my (cough) Pop years, which I kinda like.

Also, I’m pretty sure a lot of olks have forgotten The Sundays.. Thankfully I haven’t..
    😀

kcal

Sundays. Still often play that.

The Indian Givers – main man is now a guitar / music teacher along the road from me.
    Or how about the Pale Fountains..?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Steve Hillage, a great influence on much that came after him.

Hillage is still kicking it! System 7 are playing Boomtown this month. I vote him for a living Blue Plaque what a legend.

cheers_drive

ransos – Member
    Three pages, and no mention of the Longpigs. Sheesh.

I was just amount to post up a Long Pigs track but you beat me to it. Richard Hawley is still doing good stuff though.

tim41
    Free Member

Good shout from DezB with the Screaming Blue Messiahs.

Here’s one from me –
    The Chameleons. Criminally overlooked by the mainstream, but probably not forgotten by those who heard them at the time or since.

[video]https://youtu.be/-iwxkLByt68[/video]

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Timed out on Hillage – cont’d:

I vote him for a living Blue Plaque what a legend. Always thought of him as humble, inspired and unique insomuch as his music is arguably its own genre. It transcends trends and is surprisingly complex yet sounds so effortless? A limitless forest – shafts of rainbow sunlight piercing the canopy, the beams always shifting … but the canopy is now the floor..and the river is the sky … and the fish are birds and …. 💡 😯 😯

[video]http://youtu.be/2R5F3OZO-Z0[/video]

bikebouy
    Free Member

The latest Richard Hawley release is most excellent indeed 8)

Damn if I didn’t know the Sundays were still around..

Off to check the interwebz… 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Damn if I didn’t know the Sundays were still around..

They’re not. Gave up when they had babies. My lord she was a dream live *sigh*.
    Fancy giving up music, bloody weirdos.

Northwind

curto80 – Member

@Northwind you are punk and I am folk

I am both! But when Frank Turner wanted to do folk, he didn’t turn million dead folky overnight and try and reimagine their past as something else, nor CHuck Ragan, or others. You can change and move on and that’s cool but there’s ways to do it right and ways to do it awful. I think Roddy realised that later to be fair.

(it was the “I wanna be sedated” cover that broke me mostly. And the Captain/El Capitan thing, that was just taking the mick, especially in Edinburgh.)

Anyway! Longpigs eh? I can’t link at work but have we had any Wannadies? It’saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa HIT!

DezB
    Free Member

have we had any Wannadies?

Ah yes, uplifting Scandi-indie-pop 🙂

mt
    Free Member

@Malvern thanks for posting that. Hillage truly is brilliant and massive undervalued.

ricardo666
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4uyU_NAKSo[/video]

lunge

Edit, wrong thread.
    Anyone mentioned Star Sailor yet?

Northwind

Really surprised anyone else remembers Cecil. I had a wooly beany hat of theirs, which I never wore because a) it made people think my name was Cecil and b) that I was wearing a hat with my name on it.

DezB
    Free Member

Anyone mentioned Star Sailor yet?

Does anyone miss them? I didn’t mind a couple of their songs, but wouldn’t be interested in the slightest if they were still going!

shermer75
    Free Member

Oh wow, Back to the Planet, that takes me back!! I suppose in that case these guys deserve a fresh airing:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjA1Wi27Lk4[/video]

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

Definitely agree with That Petrol Emotion, PWEI and Mega City Four, saw them all live many times

My extras are

Audioweb, Lo Fidelity Allstars, Living Colour and Age of Chance (not just for retro roadie shirts)

metalheart
    Free Member

Never realised what an amazing bass player Lou Barlow is.

I remember Lou entertaining the audience (at their ’88 gig in Embra, J was soundchecking on stage due to blowing another amp earlier in the day) with his tales of the castle, shit food, etc. He kept playing the Gigantic bass line (to massive cheers) and generally taunting us… I went right off J/dino when he kicked Lou out… And yeah, he can play.

I’ll add Galaxie 500 & Luna. First Galaxie album was a real moment for me.

metalheart
    Free Member

Just remembered: Bongwater.

Power of Pussy is a brilliant album.

I also miss Espers. Just as well Meg went solo is all I’ll say.

strawb3110
    Free Member

Neds Atomic Dustbin

cheese@4p

Going back a bit I know but
    Big Star
    The Monks
    The Sonics (still touring actually)
    The Chocolate Watchband

Bit later
    The Close Lobsters

ricardo666
    Free Member

Northwind…Don’t know what happened to Cecil, used to see them regular in the Lomax on cumberland street in Liverpool.

I think they’d got a record deal, and then disappeared 🙁

DezB
    Free Member

The Monks

er, Nice Legs Shame About the Face, Monks?? 😆

Crag
    Free Member

Death in Vegas
    The Aliens

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I’ll also add airhead.

Funny how was the quintessential soundtrack for 6th form angst.

Northwind

There has never been a better band to doze to in the sun in the middle of the afternoon at the Reading festival while a little bit tipsy and a little bit high, than Starsailor. Not really a fan but not many bands have given me such a perfect moment…

TheSanityAssassin

this autumn, over a 2 week period, I shall be going to see, in this order:
    The Sisters Of Mercy
    New Model Army
    Killing Joke

EIGHTIES!!!!
    all over again
    just needs the Nephs & The Mission & my autumn will be complete

The Nephs are playing the Bram Stoker Festival in Whitby at the end of Oct. Got my tickets (and for the Sisters in Leeds) last night.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

There has never been a better band to doze to in the sun in the middle of the afternoon at the Reading festival while a little bit tipsy and a little bit high, than Starsailor.

Hmmm, at a guess you would have much the same experience with anything else relatively calm. Or step it up, hit the shrooms and nitrous then you could attribute your enlightenment and transcendence to Kanye.

zippykona

Are the Nephs worth seeing? McCoy was all death metal last time I saw them.
    Any proper band members with him?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

couple of things to take from this thread; firstly, the vast majority of the bands mentioned are definitely best forgotten about (some of you have dubious musical taste at best, in other words!). nostalgia is a funny thing- half of these bands were NEVER any good, and plenty of the others are certainly not forgotten (e.g. dinosaur jr, who never really went away and are doing some of the best music of their lives these days).
    secondly, hora. you idiot. deacon blue?! what the hell is wrong with you lad! utter, utter shite.

ransos
    Free Member

couple of things to take from this thread; firstly, the vast majority of the bands mentioned are definitely best forgotten about (some of you have dubious musical taste at best, in other words!).

You’re confusing opinion with fact.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

You’re confusing opinion with fact.

nah. terrible bands are terrible bands, and this thread is chock full of them, with very few exceptions.

MrNice
    Free Member

have you made a suggestion yourself, then? so’s we can see if your musical taste is any better than ours

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 160 total)

The topic ‘Bands probably forgotten, but it's a shame….’ is closed to new replies.