Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Bands or artists you used to think were crap, but you now like…
  • spud-face

I got completely the wrong end of the stick when i first bought the Hold Steady’s “Almost Killed Me” album and hated it. A year or so later I gave it another go and loved it. John Foxx and the Maths’ “Shape Of Things” is on the mp3 player this week in the hope that it won’t be godawful shite this time. Can’t bring myself to try it though.

cinnamon_girl

Saw Roxy Music live first time round. 😀

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

swaggering attitude.

That’s what made them good, not the music. In a world of **** blur, the spice girls, take that and whatever else my class mates were listening to.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmOfEYBIuKQ[/video]

The songs not that great….but it’s the attitude that pulled it off and made me want to listen to it as a kid.

cinnamon_girl

Bryan Ferry was seriously hot many years ago! Who says a bloke can’t cut it in a suit?

stoffel
    Free Member

Elvis Presley. Thought he was shit when I was young, but now I understand why h was so popular. Tremendous performer.

botanybay
    Free Member

Backstreet Boys.

When Timberlake came along I thought he was ace with Nsync, but then revisited the Backstreet Boys a few years ago and realised that his band just ripped off all Backstreet’ s stuff.

AJ is still one of the best singers around, I saw him at a small gig in London recently and he was phenomenal.

BillMC

I saw the Stones in Hyde Park in 1969 and Roxy Music at the Apollo, Manchester c.1976, carried on listening to the early Stones but not Roxy.

chakaping
    Free Member

Stones here too.

Still don’t rate the Beatles really though.

Apart from George Harrison stuff.

CountZero

metalheart – Member
    Goldfrapp: the Loon loved them, never used to let him play them in the car. Watched them do a song (on Jonathan Woss) from seventh tree: wonderful. Felt mountain is ace too. Still don’t get Black Cherry though….

That’s the thing with Goldfrapp, they change styles all the time, from Euro film soundtrack, (Felt Mountain), electro dance, (Black Cherry, Supernature), folk, (Seventh Tree), and now a sort of cross between Seventh Tree and Felt Mountain, Tales Of Us.
    If you ever get the chance to see them live, grab it, they put on a superb show, seen them three times in less than a year, from a little venue in Bristol, about 700 capacity, to Somerset House, then the Colston Hall in Bristol.
    Alison has an incredible voice, you can’t appreciate how high she can hit a note until you see her actually do it.
    [/url] Goldfrapp, Somerset House, London by CountZero1, on Flickr[/img]
    [/url] Goldfrapp, Somerset House, London by CountZero1, on Flickr[/img]

pistonbroke
    Free Member

I realise it’s borderline heresy but I thought Led Zep was rubbish back in the day. I even met and had a chat with Jimmy Page whilst on a mountainbike ride up in the hills near Machynlleth, Robert Plant still had a house there AFAIK. I had no idea who he was until I saw him on the TV a couple of weeks later. Nice chap though.

emsz
    Free Member

Another radiohead convert as well been listening to In Rainbows a huge amt recently

JulianA
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member
    Bryan Ferry was seriously hot many years ago! Who says a bloke can’t cut it in a suit?

Still hot… Very talented and cool guy – Roxy Music I love.

Duran Duran were anathema when I was a spotty heavy metal fan, but I do quite like them now. Likewise quite a few of the New Wave / New Romantic bands of the eighties. Most of the heavy metal bands I used to like were actually quite rubbish…

BillMC

I reckon Eno was the most creative and has produced some interesting diversions like Diamond Head and My Life in the Bush of Ghosts. I seem to remember seeing Ferry in a military uniform, looked good.

cinnamon_girl

JulianA – one time I saw Roxy Music Bryan Ferry had put Jerry Hall on the stage. Of course at that time they were an item but then she left him for Mick! Jerry was stunning – 6 ft tall with a mane of blonde hair.

I last saw him around 10 years ago or so. A good performer. 8)

senorj

Dire straits ,my dad really liked them&since he’s gone I can’t listen to them without getting dusty eyed…

iwmunt
    Free Member

Leonard cohen, wings and depeche mode.
    Mum brought me up saying Cohen was suicide music and wings were crap. Took the pi$$ out of the six form kids something rotten about DM.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Bands or artists you used to think were crap, but you now like…’ is closed to new replies.