Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Bands or artists you used to think were crap, but you now like…
  • binners

I’ll start with Damon Albarn.

I always thought Blur were massively over-rated. Probably because I just judged them on their jaunty faux cockney stuff, and the whole Blur/Oasis nonsense (for balance I think post ‘Definitely Maybe Oasis is crap too)

But Damon Albarns stuff since just gets better and better. Especially now he’s veered away from chirpy stuff, and appears to have become a right miserable cumudgeounly bastard. Always a good thing in my book. So I’m going back and reappraising his earlier stuff.

Your nominations please…..

ton

arctic monkeys

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Take That

iolo
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9AbeALNVkk[/video]

stumpy01

Oasis.

Couldn’t listen to any of their stuff back in the day, but I think it was mainly ‘cos I hated their swaggering attitude.
    Now I don’t associate all that smug bafoonery with their music anymore, I quite enjoy it. It’s all over-rated (IMO), but pretty good to have on while doing a spot of decorating or something.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Arctic Monkeys (as well, but the first album was a c e)
    Paul Weller (hated the Soul period)
    Bread (I hated them when my Mum would play them over and over and over..)
    Steve Ray Vaughan (never been into Blues, but bloody hell.. )

I’ll come back with more..

DezB
    Free Member

Conversley, I liked Blur, but Albarn’s solo stuff is some of the dullest shite I’ve ever heard. Apart from that elephant one which is pure irritation.

Back to the thread..

I did a big turnaround on Aphex Twin. I think cos I read an interview where he said he knew exactly what sounds he wanted to make before going into the studio. I thought that was utter bullshit.. I recently re-read the interview and he didn’t really say that!

mrjmt
    Free Member

Bad Religion

pondo

Jeremy Vine played a track on my lunch break, jaunty, lots of drums, tidy little tune, then he back-announced it as Bucks Fizz. They’ve gone up in my view. 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Level 42

RustySpanner

Amy Winehouse.

Good one re Twisted Sister – mate picked ‘I am, I’m me’ for his funeral service – it was perfect.

ocrider

Conversley, I liked Blur, but Albarn’s solo stuff is some of the dullest shite I’ve ever heard. Apart from that elephant one which is pure irritation

I’m sure he has something for small children pencilled in as a future project from hearing that. I may not like that tune, but my 6-year old certainly does!

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, he’s the new Paul McCartney…

fasthaggis

Radiohead

grahamg
    Free Member

Mastodon. It’s shameful I know.

RustySpanner

Damon Albarn isn’t fit to lace Paul McCartney’s roll ups.

2tyred

Couldn’t get with Radiohead at all until Kid A and the Jools Holland/at the BBC performance. Mrs Tyred went out that night, leaving me instructions to record it and don’t forget. I sat in with a bag of grass and thought I might as well make sure I start the video right, then realised how wrong I’d been about them. First album’s pish though.

Belle and Sebastian – took me ages to realise my (then) new girlfriend’s twee west end hipster mates might be onto something after all

binners

Yeah, he’s the new Paul McCartney…

Isn’t Paul McCartney, the new Paul McCartney?

Nobody else is that monumentally over-rated

2tyred

Nobody else is that monumentally over-rated

Beck and Prince are.

Beck is the most overrated human in history.

RustySpanner

😀

As for La Albarn, if I want to hear posh boys pretending they invented World Music I can listen to Peter Gabriel.
    At least he’s good at it.

Yes, I know it’s all subjective, no such thing as bad music, but Damon Albarn?
    He couldn’t make me smile even if he chopped his own cock off and sang it a lullaby.

Northwind

None recently but the first couple of times I saw Biffy Clyro (in random supports) I thought they were dire. Then Jim Gellatly played 57 on the radio one night and told me it was good so I thought, fair play Jim, they must be good then. Saw them again at T in the Park that year and without any warning at all, raging fanboi.

llama

Pixies. Thought they were crap until then gf now mrs dragged me to see them in 1990.

Ride. Thought they were crap for years until I bought mrs a re-issued box set and then realized I almost liked it better than her.

The Grateful Dead. I only ‘got’ them a couple of years ago.

Radiohead or Coldplay are still as crap as ever though

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

None – my music taste has always been correct the first time around.

When the Arctic Monkeys first appeared with their vigourous guitar playing and shouty lyrics I wasn’t too impressed but then I got the album and listened to it and instantly clicked with them. AM is one of my favourite all time albums…

Bazz

The cure, loathed them with a passion when I was at school (23 years ago), now I really like them.

rob2
    Free Member

david bowie

Although I think tin machine was a bit of a mistake :o)

johndoh
    Free Member

Back to AllBran, I really like The Good, The Bad and the Queen album too.

johndoh
    Free Member

And not a band I thought was ‘crap’ as such, but I was never really captivated by but now think are actually massively under-rated – Black Sabbath. Pretty much everything they did before Never Say Die was stunning.

ski
    Free Member

Rolling Stones, wish I had seen them live back in the 80’s when I was wasting my time watching U2 instead!

bruneep

ABBA

thorlz
    Free Member

Nirvana, thought they were awful in their hayday.
    I now however quite like them.

CountZero

Although I think tin machine was a bit of a mistake :o)

Yer not wrong there. I did actually buy it. I don’t even know where the CD is now, having listened to it exactly once.
    [edit] To continue the thread, The Smiths and ABBA; I didn’t actually mind ABBA, but I bought the two Greatest Hits albums for my mum, who loved them, and realised that most of the songs on the second More ABBA Gold are really very good, and quite downbeat, my two favourites being The Day Before You Came, and Cassandra, which is an outstanding song, and really not a happy one, either.
    It took me years to get to grips with Mossa’s rather idiosyncratic style of singing, the music has always been superb, and How Soon Is Now is just a blinding piece of music, by anyone’s standards.
    t.A.t.U. do a pretty damned good version, too.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Boney M.

muggomagic

Just for Al

Big fan of Damon Albarn. Preferred blur stuff like no distance left to run and beetlebum and think demon days is just brilliant. His solo album is ok. I like that it’s all so personal and he’s just put it out there and doesn’t care either way.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Underworld. Got a headful of ‘Lager Lager’ back in the day and hated it, still do, but since listening to the albums are now up in the top on my playlist for over a decade and onwards.

Quite a short list – could go on all day about bands i thought were talented that turned shit.

chewkw
    Free Member

Nope. They are still crap. 😆

sparkerfix

Simple Minds.

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

roxy music, prince

edhornby

you can’t say Beck is rubbish, what about Midnite Vultures? it’s a screamingly good album

hypnotoad
    Free Member

The Mars Volta

metalheart
    Free Member

Goldfrapp: the Loon loved them, never used to let him play them in the car. Watched them do a song (on Jonathan Woss) from seventh tree: wonderful. Felt mountain is ace too. Still don’t get Black Cherry though….

Sufjan Stevens: totally missed 7th Swan, loved Illinoise. Swan now a firm favourite.

Also admit to Radiohead. Took hearing Punch Up at a Wedding to convert me, I even like Creep now!

Roxy Music. Heard Virginia Plain from forever ago. Listened to an Early compilation (first 3 or 4 albums) amazing! Who knew Bryan Ferry was so talented?

Davey Graham: when I first heard him I couldn’t stand him, always preferred Bert Jansch. Now I understand. She moves through the fair: awesome… DADGAD 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Bands or artists you used to think were crap, but you now like…’ is closed to new replies.