Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • Bands or artists who make good albums/singles but are even better live.
  • edlong
    Free Member

Oh lord, bleeding loads of ’em.

Anything involving Jack White for a start, he likes to improvise on stage, and much I enjoyed the Raconteurs on album, those songs really improved given space to breathe on stage.

+1 for BRMC

The Datsuns – came across on album as a bit of a lame Ramones parody. Live, they were like a Ramones parody that tore the roof off.

Black Keys – dunno what they’re like these days with backing musicians and bigger stages, but a few years back when there was just the two of ’em, my lord, they were good.

While I did enjoy Carter USM “back in the day”, I liked the albums and the live shows, not sure they surpassed the records particularly on stage (was when there was just the two on stage with the drum machine, maybe they loosened up when they had live drums?).

Jane’s Addiction. Managed a couple of great albums but nothing that came anywhere close to the awesomeness of their live performances, used to be regularly name-checked by all sorts of people when “best live band” straw polls were conducted. Sadly, these days Perry’s voice is gone, Dave Navarro seems bored at most shows and they really aren’t the force they were, but never mind.

Chilli Peppers – I reckon they’ve been all round on this one. Early career, they never really nailed it in the studio imo, but their live shows were truly exciting. In later years, they seem to have got to grips with the recording studio much better, but last time I saw them live I was bored and wanted to leave before the end (which is unusual for me).

Beck (going back a few years now, dunno what he’s like these days).

Pearl Jam? (Not seen em myself, but it seems to be received wisdom that they are awesome live).

Placebo – never really liked them until I saw them at a festival.

Surprised at the number of mentions of the Prodigy – I didn’t really rate them at all live, but it was a festival show I caught – maybe they’re better with their own crowd?

DezB
    Free Member

Funny, I saw BRMC on a NME tour (maybe their first time over here?) and god they were like dull Jesus & Mary Chain copyists. The album was great though! Maybe they’re better now 🙂

LCD Soundsystem were utterly amazing live. But their recorded stuff is brilliant too, so not sure if they count.

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Ian Dury & the Blockheads

CountZero

Got to agree with DezB, vis Manowar, that sleeve is pure Gorgonzola! I really like heavy rock, and metal, but the more… theatrical end of things leaves me a bit meh.
    Faith No More, Soundgarden, Mastodon, Early Man, Metallica, (around the Black Album, …And Justice For All, that sort of period).
    Certainly agree about Richard Thompson, I was never a fan of his solo recordings, I just couldn’t get to grips with his voice, but I’ve come to appreciate him more as time’s gone on, and I saw him live in Bath a year or so back, and he was outstanding, superb performance, warm, funny, a really nice bloke.
    Actually, it’s always been the same with Billy Bragg, but I went to see him in Frome early in the year, and he was incredible, had a good band too.

athgray
    Free Member

The Who
    Beastie Boys
    Orbital
    Have never seen them live, however have a concert cd of Linkin Park. They sound like they would be good.

Mackem

U2 – do a good show.
    Airbourne are hilarious.
    Saw We are Scientists recently and they were excellent.
    The Charlatans are always good.

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

clutch

jimw
    Free Member

Showing my age but Thin Lizzy at Southampton Gaumont ( now the Mayflower) in 1979 – the Live and Dangerous Tour I think – was the best gig I ever went to, closely followed by Jethro Tull at the same venue in 1977

for sheer showmanship Phil Lynott took some beating in my opinion

Northwind

Mackem – Member

Saw We are Scientists recently and they were excellent.

I like We Are Scientists but live they do seem to be a comedy act that happens to play songs. (Closing Time works great in VAST…)

Pook

Surprised the flaming lips haven’t popped up yet

CountZero

jimw – Member
    Showing my age but Thin Lizzy at Southampton Gaumont ( now the Mayflower) in 1979 – the Live and Dangerous Tour I think – was the best gig I ever went to, closely followed by Jethro Tull at the same venue in 1977

Saw them on that tour too, and the Black Rose and Johnny The Fox tours. Saw Tull, too, somewhen around that time, Thick As A Brick Tour.
    Lizzy were always an incredible live outfit, and Lynott one of the very best front men.
    I saw him with Grand Slam, in Chippenham, shortly before he died, a matter of months, and I still have tinnitus as a result. Thanks, Phil!

CountZero

skinnysteel – Member

A sad loss, he was a proper showman, you couldn’t take your eyes off him. The records are classics, but live, Dury brought that extra… spark to the show, really lifted it.
    He could be a real arse’ole off stage, apparently.

ChrisL

edlong – Member

Pearl Jam? (Not seen em myself, but it seems to be received wisdom that they are awesome live).

I saw them in 2010. I thought they were incredibly good live, but in some perverse way too good. There has to be an edge of uncertainty to a live show, it has to feel like you’re watching a one of a kind performance. Pearl Jam are so practised and so capable that even when something unique happens it feels like they could replicate it again as many times as necessary if they wanted to.

The Hives (who were on the same bill as Pearl Jam in 2010) however are an almost definitive example of a band that are decent enough in the studio, but are truly great live.

sillyoldman

Mogwai – seen them many times – always amazing

Townes Van Zandt (RIP) – sadly only got to see him once.

Crag
    Free Member

+1 for Orbital – saw them live for the first time about 4 years ago and was totally blown away.

More recently, I saw Drenge and they were amazing live. Pure energy on stage.

I also saw The Subways a few years back and was really impressed with their live show.

-1 for BMRC. I’ve liked their albums for a while but thought their live show was a bit dull tbh.

martinhutch

+1. Saw them a few years before he died. Very, very good indeed.

Another vote for Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. What a line-up – so talented.

DezB
    Free Member

Dury brought that extra… spark to the show, really lifted it.
    He could be a real arse’ole off stage, apparently.

The bio-film with Andy Serkis is worth a watch.

Northwind

sillyoldman – Member

Mogwai – seen them many times – always amazing

Big +1, incredible live. I love that they can take songs that I don’t really rate, like Cody frinstance which bores me on record, and work it into a perfect setlist, the lulls just make the sonic beatings more beatey.

vickypea
    Free Member

The Temperance Movement are brilliant live. Also The Union, and I was dragged along to an Airbourne concert that was unexpectedly really good.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

james jones revue and alabama shakes. Records are ok, but live both are amazing.

dingabell
    Free Member

Definitely looking forward to Carter at Brixton.
    Can I also chip in with EMF?
    Saw them supporting Carter a few years ago and they were awesome. Like they’d never been away.
    Shame that the only song that anyone’s ever heard is ‘Unbelievable’.

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

Ben Howard. Truly amazing live, and on record.

Good call on the Prodigy too! They are a incredible band to watch and hear live! Saw them at Creamfields last year. Never been a fan at all, but seeing them live changed my opinion.

votchy
    Free Member

A few that I have seen that fit the OP:

Queen – just unbelievable
    Alice In Chains
    Pearl Jam
    AC/DC
    The Charlatans
    Soundgarden

Too many others that have now become ‘stadium bands’ and are almost too good live now

langylad
    Free Member

Seen James 4 or 5 times in the past 25 years, still truly wonderful.
    Saw Springsteen in 87 and I regularly tell my kids that the concert was considerably better than witnessing their births (almost as long at 5 hours as well)

pedropete

+1 for Richard Thompson preferably just him & his acoustic guitar, just mind-blowing.
    Also, have been very pleasantly surprised by The Proclaimers & Slade

peterfile
    Free Member

Moderat

the-muffin-man

Not sure how Radiohead make this list – dreariest and most uninvolved band I’ve ever seen. The audience may as well not have been there.

Good ones…
    The Black Crowes
    Peter Gabriel
    and I had great fun at an Embrace gig!

skellnonch
    Free Member

Killing Joke
    Prodigy
    Foo Fighters
    Green Day
    Kiss

DezB
    Free Member

peterfile – Member
    Moderat

Ooh, you lucky git! Where’d you see them?

and I had great fun at an Embrace gig!
    I did too, apart from the singing (read: football chants) along, which got on my nerves after about 10 seconds! (I went cos the ex-wife liked em ok!)

Burchy1
    Free Member

Leftfield, however this might be partly due to the fact i don’t have a HiFi that does them justice at home.

Bizarely KT Tunstall who is pretty bland on record was very very good live, loads of interesting improvisation.

peterfile
    Free Member

Ooh, you lucky git! Where’d you see them?

Glasgow! An xmas gift from mrs file.

They were incredible, better than I could have hoped (and I had my expectations set high!).

There’s just something special about hearing them play their music in a big venue. For me, it’s always been quite a private enjoyment, not very often you’d hear it out.

DezB
    Free Member

Ah, I’d love to see them. Not big tourers though eh?!

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Sisters of mercy. Up there with nin.

edhornby

I saw the blockheads last year and even without Ian they are still an awesome band 🙂

sturdylad
    Free Member

The Saw Doctors..

Love the albums, live they are even better.

A real fun gig

Bunnyhop

We went to see the Eagles History Tour last night. They certainly can play and still sing. A very enjoyable entertaining evening.

The Police were much better live.

botanybay
    Free Member

Old Crow Medicine Show were great the 2 times I saw them in Manc, proper good time old timey hoe-down.

Records are just ok apart from OCMS.

vinnyeh

Alabama 3
    Violent Femmes played a stonking gig a few nights ago. Set pretty much made up from the first two albums. Wonderful stuff.

dingabell
    Free Member

Sisters Of Mercy are brilliant.
    NIN are off this planet when playing live.

firestarter
    Free Member

All very good in no particular order skunk anansie, NIN, placebo, marylin manson, offspring, everlast, afro celt sound system, arid and strangely bryan adams

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Bands or artists who make good albums/singles but are even better live.’ is closed to new replies.