Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Bands from your area that were embarrassing
  • MoreCashThanDash

The Alarm are still playing now and still sound pretty good.

CountZero

Edit – Charlie McKerron from Capercaillie possible exception. hmm, maybe not ‘big’ then…

What, exactly, is wrong with Capercaillie? Damn fine band and musicians, first folk band to do a remix of one of their albums with dance beats, although there’s a certain irony in that much of what they play are jigs and reels, which are dance tunes, before music had to have an electronic beat added to it to make it ‘dance music’.
    Not been that active of late, sadly.

chewkw – Member
    Sting … the teacher and bloke from The Police.

Not really sure the language he is singing with … 😯
    Probably the fact that English isn’t your native language means you don’t recognise it sung with a strong regional accent, in his case Geordie.
    See also; Brummie, Cockney, Glaswegian*, etc.
    *In this case, it might as well be a separate language, you need subtitles to understand anyone who speaks with a strong Glaswegian accent.
    Oh, and embarrassing local bands? About the only one that might count is the Moody Blues, from Swindon, and Gilbert O’Sullivan, as a solo artist.
    Anyone who says XTC will be tracked down and will have every pair of boots and shoes pissed in, is that clear?

ads678

Leicester’s finest…
    Showaddywaddy.
    Engelburt Humperdink
    Kasabian. (After I left so may not count)

You forgot the massive tosspiece that is Mark Morrison!

DezB
    Free Member

Probably the fact that English isn’t your native language means you don’t recognise it sung with a strong regional accent, in his case Geordie.

You’re talking about the fake Jamaican accent Sting used to sing with yeah? Never sung in Geordie that’s for certain.

they could belt out a bloody good tune
    Massive lolZ!

redmex
    Free Member

A few Runrig fans come out the closet hope ive not offended my fellow Scots but i stand by what i think of them, they’re like a band of daniel oddonels

martinhutch

Depeche Mode

Yazoo.

And half of Erasure, obviously.

kcal

C Z – I was trying to refer that C McK was someone from here that had made it big. I like Capercaillie, they’re pretty quiet now, and have respect for Karen Mathieson and what she’s done since, great collaboration with James Grant e.g. — think my words taken wrong way..

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Carshalton’s finest, just down the road from Sutton

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Whitetown

But I liked Bivouac and The Beyond back in the day.

That’s all I can think of from the Motherland. 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Mud!? Embarrassing?? First album I owned 😆

martinhutch

Oh, I forgot Ian Dury. He even wrote a song about my hometown.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuNyzEa0gU8[/video]

redmex
    Free Member

Ian Dury was top notch

hammerite
    Free Member

Quireboys? Bit of a funny one this one, local press seem to think they’re local. Wikipedia seems to think Newcastle! (Only a few hundred miles up the A1)

The Runrig and Daniel O’Donnell reference is funny. Our youth worker at school (who was a top bloke) was the worlds biggest Runrig and Daniel O’Donnell fan in the mid 90s!

wind-bag
    Free Member

Rick f-in Astley.

stevio

Bee Gees? my ex-neighbour moved into their old house – 50 St Catherine’s Drive – subject title of Robin’s last album…

voodoo_chile

Quadrant park and music in the same sentence …. too many Persian rugs about at the time

RoterStern
    Free Member

@bikebouy. Small world. Cancer are old mates of mine. All the bands from the area used to hang out together. In fact they are back together again and touring. Only Shane from ND is from Broseley but he used to be in a band with Mitch called Unseen Terror from Broseley who influenced a lot of grindcore bands later. I wouldn’t exactly say that any of these bands are embarrassing though. If you want embarrassing bands from the area look no further than T’Pau!

Drac

Quireboys? Bit of a funny one this one, local press seem to think they’re local. Wikipedia seems to think Newcastle! (Only a few hundred miles up the A1)

It clearly say London?

Lindisfarne
    Cheryl Cole
    The Toy Dolls

racefaceec90

the only famous musician i could find from devizes is simon may.

i think he did a soap opera theme song or something? i don’t dislike his stuff i have to add (but have no interest in soaps).

there have been plenty of bands good/bad played in devizes though including some famous ones beatles/stones e.t.c.

p.s i play guitar terribly will that count 😀

Pigface
    Free Member

Anyone remember Terrace? Darlings on the NME for a brief moment.

Non embarassing local bands the Manics, Reptile Ranch, The Oppressed (well one of their drummers)

stevied
    Free Member

About 200 yards from my house:

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Bands from your area that were embarrassing’ is closed to new replies.