Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Bands from your area that were embarrassing
  • redmex
    Free Member

Im from north of the border and heard a Runrig tune on the radio and they were bad, not sure if they ever got past Gretna Green to inflict earache to the rest of the uk. Marrilion with lead singer Pish were bad too

chewkw
    Free Member

Sting … the teacher and bloke from The Police.

Not really sure the language he is singing with … 😯

aP
    Free Member

Babylon Zoo. I win.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gobuchul
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1urq4Vb0XM[/video]

EOT

fadda

Wurzels, anyone…?

honeybadgerx

Someone from Runrig used to live in my village, does that count?

JoB
    Free Member

The Levellers

gobuchul
    Free Member

The Levellers

What’s wrong with the Levellers?

I saw them at a festival a few years ago and they were great. 🙂

the-muffin-man

Early Marillion were awesome!

john_drummer
    Free Member

Home town Wakefield – Black Lace

Live near Bradford now – Smokie

RustySpanner

Northside.
    🙂

The best ‘local’ band were probably the Chameleons.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Take your pic anytime from 1984 onwards. Especially any I played in. There were what seemed like 1000s of local bands on the West Mids thru the 89s/90s, many I’ve just read yet not head of. This band list sacred document may spark a few memories for fellow Midlanders of a Certain Age. Or even further afield? JBs seemed to bring a lot of people in. Good times 🙂

JBs Dudley entire booking list by year

I don’t like naming names, so AFAIR any local band was super-great yeah alright 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

From Ironbridge, in Shropshire… I give you…

CANCER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not actually embarrassing, but quite an odd name don’t you think ? They had quite a lot of success in Europe and the US, gathered a following that was larger than you’d realise.
    Good musicians, solid theme and a drummer that would quite literally break kit per song.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Lost Prophets .

What do I win?

funkmasterp

Nothing, you’ve lost all your profit!

jimbobo
    Free Member

Kaiser Chiefs, the biggest average band ever! My dad was a big Runrig fan and I remember going to see them a few times. They weren’t bad, just not particuarly great. I think the singer left to be a MSP?

Rubber_Buccaneer

john_drummer – Member 

Live near Bradford now

Next door to Alice?

kcal

“from your area” – hm, not sure anyone from Moray really made it big at all!

Edit – Charlie McKerron from Capercaillie possible exception. hmm, maybe not ‘big’ then..

To be fair, I saw Runrig quite a lot in the mid late 80s, maybe not the strongest songwriters and crafters of tunes but as a show band for young Scottish folk, they weren’t half bad, first gig I went to was at Glasgow Tiffanys ballroom, sprung dance floor that felt as if it was about to take off.. great times..

redmex
    Free Member

Jimbobo you must have been a bad child getting punished like that, some folk make nice vids of their epic walk up a jaggy munro and then make it un watchable because of the runrig music blaring away.
    It should only be heard on the royal mile beside the see you jimmy wig and shortbread tin and not forgettin the piper

kcal

Donnie Munro stood for Parliament – both Holyrood and Westminster – for Labour. Pete Wishart is an MP.

aa
    Free Member

Jive Bunny

dannyh
    Free Member

This twunt.

loddrik
    Free Member

Most Liverpool bands are shite. Everything I hate about music. Floppy hair. Twangy guitars. I look at the music scenes in places like Bristol with envy. Most Liverpool bands sound similar and are resolutely stuck in the past.

sc-xc

Malvern Rider – that JBs list is great.

From Sep 89 I was at pretty much every tue/thur/fri gig…local venues now just play tribute acts 🙁

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Next door to Alice?

Who?

thehustler
    Free Member

Altern8
    Climax blues band

docrobster
    Free Member

Leicester’s finest…
    Showaddywaddy.
    Engelburt Humperdink
    Kasabian. (After I left so may not count)

Garry_Lager

From Ironbridge, in Shropshire… I give you…
    CANCER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not actually embarrassing, but quite an odd name don’t you think ? They had quite a lot of success in Europe and the US, gathered a following that was larger than you’d realise.
    Good musicians, solid theme and a drummer that would quite literally break kit per song. Weren’t napalm death from Brosely across the river? Breeding ground for death metal.

MoreCashThanDash

Brought up near Peterborough.

Cola Boy ftw?

Lifer
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    “Next door to Alice?”
    Who?

What’s the matter?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nicely done, Lifer.

bikebouy
    Free Member

You are absolutely right Sir, Napalm Death.. noted at being 25th best metal band “in the world” from Broseley, Shropshire (over the Ironbridge itself)

The drummer from Cancer I used to play Bass for, the big bushy haired guy in ND used to come watch us practice.. by the way I was shite and had absolutely no interest in Thrash Metal.

copa
    Free Member

The Alarm

andytherocketeer

erm… The Rolling Stones

iainc

Have been a Runrig fan since the early days. They are huge in Germany and very comfy millionaires now. I remember going to see a new Glasgow band in my local pub in Glasgow south side in, I think, ’88 or so. They were good but a bit ragged……done ok now though… Texas 😀

MrOvershoot

Rusty Spanner – Member
    The best ‘local’ band were probably the Chameleons.

No probably Pete, best band from my teens 🙂

loddrik – Member

Most Liverpool bands are shite. Everything I hate about music. Floppy hair. Twangy guitars. I look at the music scenes in places like Bristol with envy.

Yes often gets overlooked does Bristol, I was at school with Robert Del Naja from Massive Attack. Though he was in the year above me.

DezB
    Free Member

Ooh, good one copa – The Alarm even looked bloody embarrassing.
    I thought Smokie were from down here, must be thinking of someone else.
    One of Tears For Fears was from Leigh Park where I grew up.
    For some reason South Hampshire doesn’t produce many bands (Renaldo & The Loaf and Pusherman were too good to be called embarrassing and my band, The Flatulent Brothers were amazing)

Pook

as – Rotherham lad?

RustySpanner

MrOvershoot – Member
    … best band from my teens

Still a lot of love for them locally.

Lodders, you must have gone to Quadrant Park?
    Big scene in Liverpool from what I remember, all the same big names as Manchester, often on the same night.

But yeah, Bristol sounds like fun.
    🙂

jonnyboi

Ooh, good one copa – The Alarm even looked bloody embarrassing

That was the 80s for you, but at least they could belt out a bloody good tune. And they cracked America iirc

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Bands from your area that were embarrassing’ is closed to new replies.