• This topic has 21 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Band reunions.
  • colournoise

Sometimes (often?) just done to make a quick buck, sometimes done for the right reasons.

I know it’s not the start of their comeback (Weather Diaries was a great album in its own right), but this is just effortlessly wonderful pop music.

Northwind

NME: “So I hear splitting then reforming is the coming thing”
    The Wildhearts: “Hold my pint, and my heroin”

CountZero

If new music comes from it, then it’s for the right reasons, see: unfinished business.
    Recent examples being Pixies, Lush/Piroshka, Belly, Sleeper.

P-Jay
    Free Member

HMRC have brought more old bands together than fan clubs ever will.

senorj

Pjay is correct!

binners

At least the Happy Monday’s had the honesty to say that they still all hated each other but they were reforming because Shaun had got a massive tax demand

The Stone Roses proved though that if you do get back together never ever ever record any new material, for the love of god!!!

wordnumb
    Free Member

Almost…

anagallis_arvensis

I saw Miles Hunt, PWEI and Neds Atomic Dustbin a few weeks ago. It was great fun

jamj1974

Totally agree colournoise.

choppersquad
    Free Member

I saw the PWEI gig as well, and it was good fun reliving the golden days for a few hours.
    Everyone (including the bands) seemed to be having a great time.

DezB
    Free Member

As you’d probably guess, I disagree. There isn’t one band I used to be into that I’d be interested in seeing now if they reformed. Music has moved on and so has my taste. I did see Gang of Four when they reformed in about 2005, but that was different, they were THE band and I didn’t get to see them in their early days.. AND it was the original line-up. (New music is being released under the name, but it’s just the guitarist and I think there’s actually 5 of them. LoLZ)
    I know I know.. I’m weird, but I just prefer to see new things rather than go over old ground.

grtdkad

PWEI and Fuzz Townshend off Car SOS ?

zippykona

The Wolfhounds got back together and produced some of their finest music.

johnx2
    Free Member

Music’s about a moment. If you weren’t there you weren’t there, and if you were there you’re kidding yourself if you think you can go back.

I mean good luck to bands who get back together and play the old songs for cash. I might even go and see the show for old time’s sake. But it’s always going to feel like the moment’s passed.

votchy
    Free Member

I saw Miles Hunt, PWEI and Neds Atomic Dustbin a few weeks ago. It was great fun

Saw them at The Institute in Digbeth Easter Saturday, belter of a show

DezB
    Free Member

Nice to have someone, sort of, agree with me.. however! Music is different things to different folks. Everyone gets something of their own out of any form of art, so.. I do see why people (pay shitloads to) see old, reformed bands, but, well, you know.

johnx2
    Free Member

there’s no time machine. I regret not going to see Prince when we had multiple opportunities, and if he got back together i might go and see him. But he was always more of an old jazzer really, which is a bit different as they’re meant to stagger on for years, and also to die of old age and over-use in their mid-40s (that Mac Demarco’s already showing signs of heavy wear. Not Jazz but gets the Canadian exemption, see also Young Neil, Laughing boy Leonard and Joni). Had tickets to see Matt Johnson a couple of months ago, but a better offer came along (should have given them away really but forgot). What was my point again? With a memory as bollocksed as mine you may as well live in the present moment.

llama

Yes Ride were a bit of an exception with Weather Diaries. Not that fussed about the new one, but we’ll see. Erol Alkan is a good fit for them too it seems. Seen them a few times this time round as Mrs Llama is a massive fan, they are pretty good live.

Also on the reformed tip I’ve seen the roses, jesus + mary chain, teenage fanclub, st etienne (actually did those last 2 even break up?) and all were entertaining in their own way

duncancallum

Wildhearts never stopped….

Just has more line ups than the local police station

DezB
    Free Member

Had tickets to see Matt Johnson a couple of months ago

I was totally obsessed with The The! Did I see him/them live? Can’t remember. Just sounds like old music to me. Definitely would bother with that one.
    Never did like Ride – JAMC and Teenage Fanclub didn’t split. JAMC though, saw them a few (10?) years ago and it was the most tedious thing I’ve ever seen. (Quite boring anyway.)

johnx2
    Free Member

…saw The The at the Hackney Empire, just behind our house-I-should-never-have-sold, Mind Bomb tour with Jonny Marr in the band. Good but to be honest I think the moment was pretty well passed by then (his, and probably also mine). Burning Blue Soul and Soul Mining were records I’d wake up to find still playing on my old turntable (automatic repeat).

DezB
    Free Member

Definitely would bother with that one

Meant wouldn’t 😆 !

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Band reunions.’ is closed to new replies.