Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Banana skins on the trail
  • pennine
    Free Member

Toys: the skin goes in with the food rubbish, the bag in the plastic recycle box. Good enough?

Stevelol
    Free Member

I take mine home too, they’re quite waxy and do seem to stick around ages.

mattjg
    Free Member

@Tang, measurable harm is not the only issue: it’s as much a philosophy. Tread as lightly as reasonably possible, and leave the place as close as one can to the state it was found (or better, as it should be).

Note ‘as reasonably possible’, I’m not advocating SAS style pooh bagging.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Tiz biodegradable, if unsightly. I’m not worrying about chucking nana skins over the hedge out of sight. I’m just feeding small mammals and enriching the soil. Don’t be so fretful!

toys19
    Free Member

NO huge harm but it is unsightly and I have seen multiple banana skins in popular areas

So this is actually the limit of it, no huge harm and a bit unsightly. What a waste of environmental effort, they are not environmentally damaging in any way, it’s just a red herring. I reckon all the petrol and resourced hogged by rich middle class types getting to and from the lake district pales into insignificance compared to “multiple” banana skins, how ironic. It’s a load of hypocritcal, pick ‘n’ mix morals.

pennine

Toys: the skin goes in with the food rubbish, the bag in the plastic recycle box. Good enough?

Fine, but what about if you didn’t use the bag in the first place? Surely that would be better? You could stick it in your tupperware instead, at least that get reused?

mattjg
    Free Member

Seems strange to me that the question here is “why shouldn’t I chuck my skin?”. Really the question ought to be “why should I?”, and I see no reason why one should.

pennine
    Free Member

Guess this won’t go down well with Toys either 😕 Sometimes I use the clingfilm my sandwiches are wrapped in!

OP asked a question to which I posted what I do. Others will do whatever, but I find them unsightly. And there lies another opening for the devils advocates 😉

mattjg
    Free Member

Toys point is that only manual workers and landed gentry should go the the Lakes. I think.

toys19
    Free Member

pennine, TBH I don’t give really a shit, I just find it ironic that people make themselves feel better/get worked up into a lather about nana skins, whilst wrapping them in plastic/driving to the hills/generally being a massivly environmetally damaging 1st worlder. I chuck my apple cores etc as I reckon its food for furry animals, bugs etc.

Toys point is that only manual workers and landed gentry should go the the Lakes. I think.

exactly, and as I am both, I can do what I like.

mudshark
    Free Member

Apple cores is an intersting debate – one old railway line I know of has a fair few mature apple tress growing alongside it – presumably grown from discarded cores. Is that a bad thing?

I’ve seen this too and think it’s great though though leads to people trying ‘Extreme Scrumping’ which probably shouldn’t be encouraged.

gwaelod
    Free Member

20 odd years of riding in the same area and I always bury a skin/core/turd in the woods off the trail. I do carry out( not turds they go under a rock far from the path plus use the rock bum wipe system) on open exposed hills.

This could only be posted by someone who doesn’t live where the geology consists mostly of sharp slatey rocks

#blaenaufestiniogpiles

jamesco

Nah den, talk about environment, any body seen the tree by A57 top of Sherwood Forest with all the pairs of shoes hanging in it , and a sign – if you cant find the right colour and size please try our other branch?
    Plus all the freaking litter that lazy buggers can not carry from their car to the bins yuk.

trout
    Free Member

Google says 3 to 5 weeks for a banana skin to decompose .

lets put it to the test and pop one out in the garden and see .

jd-boy
    Free Member

Last race at the Thetford Alan said to me “did not realise we had a chimps party at the race” never cleared so many Bannana skins up from the parking area, they dont rote down they just go black and slimy. orange peal just drys out and stays for ever, Put them in the bin or take them home, another PET hate dog shit in bags, dont hang it in a tree like we keep finding in Thetford,put it in the bin or take it home, or as you are in the country just kick poo into the undergrowth and dont worry about putting it in a bag, all the deer, foxes etc dont bag it up, rant over.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

trout – read the link I posted above – it depends where you are.

trout
    Free Member

Guess it may depend on your location but think of the little creatures
    who like a bit of banana skin

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTD_IhbKG9s[/video]

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I like to keep it simple. Whatever you take with you you either consume or you bring it home and dispose of normally.

As for banana skins in particular, I don’t really care how long it takes to decay, banana skins do not belong in the british countryside and should not be left behind.

IanMunro
    Free Member

How about apples cores?
    You’d have to rip up most of the arable crops and livestock too 🙂

sweepy
    Free Member

A bananaguard stops your banana getting squashed in your bag, and provides a handy receptacle to keep it in till you get back to your compost bin.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

banana skins do not belong in the british countryside and should not be left behind.

Arguably, neither do mountain bikes, horses and grey squirrels. Get off your high horse / 29er. 😉

jacksonwwirl
    Free Member

i’ve heard all this debate about rotting time for banana skins , so this morning i left a banana skin on the trailside to see how it gets on , it was also in a non indiginous forest, ill post again next week and let you know how its doing !!

Northwind

mattjg – Member

Take anything home that wouldn’t be native to the natural environment you’re in.

In this country? We don’t have a natural environment and half of the things you see on a ride aren’t native. Someone told me off for chucking a banana skin into a stand of forestry commission sitka because I would disturb the natural rhythms by introducing a foreign species. How I LOLled.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

that is a good one northwind.

sparkyrhino

Dont like green bannanas.

Northwind

Thing is though… For all I scorn, there’s times when it’s OK and there’s times when it’s not and if in any doubt at all, then the thing to do is not. Even if it’s only unsightly, that should still be enough. Most litter isn’t actually harmful after all, in small amounts- just ugly.

davidjones15
    Free Member

Just to balance the take it in/take it out argument, I often eat nuts and berries I find on trailside bushes and am always consciencious enough to have a dump before going home.

chickenman

My Minion 2.35 60a’s are great on banana skins.
    Re burying poos: I was climbing in Aran some years back and casting around for a large stone to weigh done my empty rucksack, I lifted one with a big tollie underneath (read s**t). The irony is, that I’d buried self-same object myself under that very stone only two days previously! 😯

joat

If you’re going to throw a skin away just throw it where it’s not going to be slipped on or cause an eyesore. If you take it home and put it in your bin with general rubbish (local refuse rules notwithstanding) it will be sent to landfill, where it will do sod all good for a long long time.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I must’ve left 100’s of banana skins all over the NYM & Dales over the years, can’t say Ive really noticed any when I’ve been back to the same spot. Have the banans skin fairies been & tidied up.
    Litter, proper litter, however, brasses me off.

Arguably, neither do mountain bikes, horses and grey squirrels.
    A very valid point IMO.

markwalker
    Free Member

has anybody ever considered all the dead sheep left on the fells shorely more enviromently unfreindly 😳

shotsaway
    Free Member

What about cigarette butts? 😉

I’ll retreat quickly……

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

essell – however bin liners full are removed of ben nevis every year, I have found banana skins up in the hills. they do persist a long time

mudshark
    Free Member

Have the banans skin fairies been & tidied up.

Where there any ants around? Apparently they love ’em.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

What, they remove bin liners full of banana skins from Ben Nevis every year?
    How many banana skins is that then? Come on TJ, I know youv’e got the figures.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

SCOTLAND’S highest peak is being spoiled by discarded banana skins, conservationists warned today.

More than half of the rubbish collected from Ben Nevis in the Highlands is made up of the fruit peel, according to the John Muir Trust.

The charity says up to 1,000 banana skins can be found on the summit plateau at any time.

In the cold temperatures they can take up to two years to biodegrade.

Hillwalkers are being urged to treat their fruit waste like any other rubbish and take it back down the mountain with them.

Conservation officer Sarah Lewis said: “Banana skins are a particular problem because people think they will quickly disappear.

“Sadly this isn’t the case.

“We’ve often caught walkers in the process of chucking their banana skin on the path.

“When you speak to them about it they say it is not a problem because they will biodegrade.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/banana_skins_ruining_ben_nevis_claim_environmentalists_1_471099

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ben Nevis Facts

– Around 100,000 visitors walk up Ben Nevis every year.
    – Litter is one of the biggest problems affecting Ben Nevis. The last quarterly litter pick filled 18 bin bags of rubbish, 10 of which were filled solely with banana skins.
    – Bananas have a hard time biodegrading in the rocky and cold upland environment of Ben Nevis and can take up to two years to fully decompose.
    – Deposits of human excrement on Ben Nevis are also a problem for visitors and the hill.

http://www.jmt.org/news.asp?s=2&nid=JMT-N10585

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

See folks, I’d put good money on it!

LOL @ TJ, I just knew he wouldn’t let me down!

I don’t care though, I’ve never been up Ben Nevis & will continue to hoy my nana skins over the wall. 😉

matt_outandabout

Take in, take out. End of.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Glad to be of service Essel.

“take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but footprints ( tyre tracks)”

Sandwich

The other problem with food waste in sensitive ecologies is that it attracts extra vermin that adversely affect the fauna in the area. More of a problem in lower lying areas than in the upper reaches of the Highlands.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Banana skins on the trail’ is closed to new replies.