Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 298 total)
  • BAN TRUMP FROM THE UK PETITION
  • aracer
    Free Member

So they’ve both moved towards the other?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

mrlebowski – Member

He has about 8% of the vote – I’d call that pretty fringe.

What Trump says makes the main news headlines, he has become a high profile Republican politician whose comments are increasingly being discussed by political pundits, but if you want to dismiss him as an irrelevant fringe politician whose comments will never be discussed in mainstream politics then that’s up to you, you are of course free to think whatever you want to think. However subeditors, headline writers, and TV/radio news input controllers, don’t appear to agree with you.

aracer – Member

“United States shifted fairly significantly to the left. While the UK shifted to the right”

So they’ve both moved towards the other?

I don’t understand the point of the question. Are you suggesting that US politics hasn’t shifted to the left with the change from Bush to Obama, and that UK hasn’t shifted to the right the change from Brown to Cameron?

konabunny
    Free Member

I agree with jambalaya. This is all great for Trump – he can use it as an example of how pussified Europeans are so dominated by Muslims they want to suppress his voice. It would have been much better to invite him to an open debate, preferably in Scotland. He would never have accepted. He is not a serious risk to UK public order. We shouldn’t be afraid to take him on.

Like one of our elder statesmen said: “come tae Glasgae. We’ll just set aboot ye”.

wrecker
    Free Member

UK hasn’t shifted to the right the change from Brown to Cameron?

The UK never elected Brown, the shift was from Blair to Cameron. Not a major shift IMHO.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The UK never elected Brown

Eh? what’s that got to do with anything? There was a shift to the right when Gordon Brown was replaced as prime minister by David Cameron. And who said anything about it being “a major shift” btw?

EDIT : I can’t believe that I’m arguing whether there was a shift to the right when a Labour prime minister was replaced by a Tory prime minister, some people really will say that black is white just to for the sake of contradicting, it would appear. ffs

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m not arguing. New labour (as was) are routinely described as neo cons, and not really left wing at all by the labour voters. The Uk can’t shift from a Pm it never elected. Do you think Blair was particularly left wing?

LHS
    Free Member

In real politics it was like a shift from 2% to the left to 1.9% to the left. Its still very left in comparison.

yunki
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDrfE9I8_hs[/video]

chewkw
    Free Member

Like it or not you need Merica.

Without Merica you have no legs to stand on. Simple.

As my Texan cowboy mate used to say “We kicked your arse!” (in cowboy accent please).

I bet Trump knows what he is getting when he enters politics so petition or not you are just not at his level. 🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

Do you think Blair was particularly left wing?

He never said that[ lets just ignore the fact he actually said Brown as well] he said Cameron is more right wing than him

A point, even on stw, its hard to believe anyone will actually dispute.

FWIW I though it was a clever joke by aracer on them moving closer to each other

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Do you think Blair was particularly left wing?

No.

That doesn’t mean the Tories aren’t more right wing than the last Labour government.

Or do you think it does?

The Uk can’t shift from a Pm it never elected

I said there was a shift to the right in UK politics after the global credit crunch.

In 2005 the largest party in parliament was the Labour Party, in 2010 the largest party in parliament was the Tory Party. Is it really that difficult to understand?

wrecker
    Free Member

That doesn’t mean the Tories aren’t more right wing than the last Labour government.

Or do you think it does?

Not a major shift IMHO.

In 2005 the largest party in parliament was the Labour Party, in 2010 the largest party in parliament was the Tory Party. Is it really that difficult to understand?

Are you unable to be civil?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well I’m trying to be, I can’t say it’s easy though.

wrecker
    Free Member

Nobody has been insulting, tried to make anyone look silly, or even particularly disagreed with your stuff. I have no idea why you get so bitchy. Are you like this all the time?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I bet Trump knows what he is getting when he enters politics so petition or not you are just not at his level. [/quote

I don’t want to be at his level – there’s nothing down there but cockroaches & sh1t.

konabunny
    Free Member

The UK never elected Brown, the shift was from Blair to Cameron.

The UK never elected Blair or Cameron either.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I think @ernie is quite correct to say that the economic crises is relevant to the significant shift in politics we are seeing.

It is true that as someone not beholden to financial backers he can say pretty muchnwhat he wants. Its certsinky ironic given how much critism we see of financial interests manipulating politicians where here we see the impact of someone operating of his own free will.

IMO its quite wrong to look at Trump’s vote as a national overall percentage. What matter is who wins the Republican nomination and if its not Trump whether he stands as an independent. I still believe he could win the nomination but doubt he can win the Presidency in that case, but it isn’t impossible. The Democrats best chance maybe Trump standing as an independent.

wrecker
    Free Member

I think you’ll find they did or near as dammit.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thats very pedantic as both where the leaders of their parties and clearly stood on the clear understanding they would be PM.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its not pedantic to point out that we dont vote for the PM its just a fact.

wrecker
    Free Member

We understand how the elective system works though don’t we. If someone votes labour when Blair is leader, it’s not a stretch to suggest that they know what they are voting for, particularly when he’s the most visible labour person in the campaign.

konabunny
    Free Member

Its not pedantic to point out that we dont vote for the PM its just a fact.

Must…resist…temptation to…nitpick…

We understand how the elective system works though don’t we.

I dunno…you seem to be arguing that a shift from a Labour government to today’s Conservative government wasn’t a shift to the right, and claiming the UK elected Prime Ministers. If the electorate voted for Prime Ministers, they wouldn’t have to compromise so much in choosing their cabinet so they retained the support of the party, and they couldn’t be slung out by their party, and Thatcher and Blair would have remained in office until the election.

wrecker
    Free Member

you seem to be arguing that a shift from a Labour government to today’s Conservative government wasn’t a shift to the right

No, actually I don’t. I said it wasn’t a major shift and from where I’m sitting I don’t believe it was. There seems to be a popular consensus that new labour were not left wing.
    I’m not doubting ernies point that there has been a shift in politics resulting from economic factors. I just don’t think it was a massive one here in the UK.

chewkw
    Free Member

Then after all the Trump publicity you have the Clinton as the next Merican President … Oh me goat … not another Clinton.

It’s a bit like Mrs Blair becoming the next leader of Labour party and the next British PM innit. 😆

That will learn you! 😯

It’s like JFK all over again … 😮

mrlebowski
    Free Member

However subeditors, headline writers, and TV/radio news input controllers, don’t appear to agree with you.

The numbers don’t & wont lie – he’s only in the press because it’s click bait/copy.

What would you rather everyone did?

Pretend it didn’t exist or face up to his ugly side of politics?

He’s a news channels wet dream.

Clover

Well, I enjoyed signing that petition. I can’t believe I’d not seen a link to it on my Facebook feed. Facebook loves sending me things to sign.

Anyway, nope if we ban rappers and hate preachers we ban that nasty piece of work. There’s more than a whiff of Kristallnacht about him.

noltae
    Free Member

In the spirit of continuity may I assume Japan’s Immigration policy is lunacy also? Do we need another petition ?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Do we need another petition ?

There are certainly some interesting ones in there….

Stop all immigration and close the UK borders until ISIS is defeated.
    444,712 signatures

And they’re all shit. This whole petition thing is a pathetic waste of space.

chewkw
    Free Member

I think we should all be communist. End off. Ya, Left enough?

With communism we all need permit to travel from one region to another … ya … Communist!

If you lot compare to me now you lot are bourgeoisie pretending to be communist. 😆

If the entire country turns communist now I will even be better off with my current pay … 😆

konabunny
    Free Member

Stop all immigration and close the UK borders until ISIS is defeated.
    444,712 signatures

I wouldn’t have thought there are 444,000 seaside B&B owners in the whole of the UK, but apparently there are.

chewkw
    Free Member

konabunny – Member

Stop all immigration and close the UK borders until ISIS is defeated. 444,712 signatures

I wouldn’t have thought there are 444,000 seaside B&B owners in the whole of the UK, but apparently there are. [/quote]

So when other petition for their concerns you consider them unworthy but when you petition for something yours are worthy … 😯

HHhhmmm … my gut feeling tells me something is not right but I cannot put my finger on it … hmm … so sneaky they are (Yoda’s tone). 😆

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

he’s only in the press because it’s click bait/copy.

He’s only in the press because he is seeking the Republican nomination for president in 2016, and the previous US President was a Republican.

If he was seeking the nomination for some fringe political party he would be mostly ignored.

However much you might like to dismiss Trump the reality is that today he has significant input in the mainstream debate.

And I certainly don’t think that his brand of bigotry should be ignored, nor do I think it should be treated as if it’s harmless and some sort of joke, which appears to be the attitude of some.

chewkw
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    However much you might like to dismiss Trump the reality is that today he has significant input in the mainstream debate.

What are you talking about? Clinton is going to be the next Merican President. End off.

Debate how you like she is going to be the Merican President that will learn you … 😆

edit: Oh ya define “… good men …”

mrlebowski
    Free Member

And I certainly don’t think that his brand of bigotry should be ignored, nor do I think it should be treated as if it’s harmless and some sort of joke, which appears to be the attitude of some

Well, since we mostly agree except on one thing.

A plan of action? A question I’ve asked 3 times now & which you have yet to answer….

I say get him in the spotlight & lets have a closer look a him…..& you say?…

aracer
    Free Member

Exactly – though your words are far better than mine, my only excuse for being so accidentally obtuse is that I was in a hurry. The point being that our government is still way to the left of the current US government.

I offer my sincere apologies as I appear to have started a particularly stupid argument about Blair being more right wing than Cameron (which I certainly wasn’t suggesting).

jambalaya
    Free Member

Trump’s ratings amongst Republican Primary voters are up 😥

He described Katie Hopkins as a “respected journalist” (apologies if that’s been posted already)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The point being that our government is still way to the left of the current US government.

Which policies do you think ‘our government’ are pursuing which are ‘way to the left of the current US government’ ?

Barack Obama backs Gordon Brown’s handling of global recession]

“US president fails to endorse David Cameron’s deficit reduction strategy but praises his predecessor at No 10”

But the Tories are “way to the left” of the Obama administration?

aracer
    Free Member

I was comparing the government, not Obama vs Cameron. The US government is more than Obama.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Surely we all agree that america is more right wing in general than we are in general

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The US government is more than Obama

Of course it is. And ‘our government’ is more than Cameron. Which why I said the Tories and the Obama administration.

So getting back to your point that our government is “way to the left” of the current US government, can you provide a list of our policies which our government is implementing that are “way to the left” of the policies being implemented by the current US government?

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 298 total)

The topic ‘BAN TRUMP FROM THE UK PETITION’ is closed to new replies.