Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 179 total)
  • Ban The Burka?
  • GrahamS

Not so many years ago I would have laughed at a Western government trying to make laws about what clothes their citizens can wear.

And the idea of armed police forcing women to undress at beaches because they weren’t showing enough flesh would have been ridiculous.

But I’ve watched France.

And I’ve tutted.

And I’ve shaken my head.

But I assumed we, in the UK, had little more respect for individual freedoms than that.

But no apparently I was mistaken there too…

A majority of the British public are in favour of banning the burka in public, a poll has found, while almost half say the burkini should be prohibited.

According to the YouGov survey, 57% of respondents in the UK supported banning the veil in public places..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/01/british-public-back-a-ban-on-burqa-by-two-to-one-poll-finds/

Is it just me that finds this all a bit sad and divisive?

BoardinBob

crikey
    Free Member

It’s more people than voted us out of Europe; beware democracy…

(Yes, it’s sad and divisive. But there is a growing attitude that integration should work both ways.)

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Under most burkas is a bloke in a suit.

bearnecessities

Is the OP some kind of bet? 🙂

legend
    Free Member

bongohoohaa – Member
    Under most burkas is a bloke in a suit.
    POSTED 16 SECONDS AGO # REPORT-POST

Makes you think

cchris2lou

But it is ok for a religion to tell women what to wear?

And do. ( driving, travelling) .

kaiser
    Free Member

I personally don’t feel comfortable with people walking around in public with their faces covered up . How would you feel if men did it too ? Do you feel happy for people to walk around with full face balaclavas on?
    trying to ban burkinis is ridiculous ..but face coverings yes.

scotroutes

There’s loads of men here like that – especially in November

Ever been to the Western Isles?

sbob
    Free Member

The vast majority of muslim women I see just wear a headscarf, can’t see anyone being bothered by that.
    I can only remember pointing out “shit ninjas” on one or two occasions.
    I don’t like the idea of people hiding their faces in public, and I have no respect for a misogynistic religion like islam.

P-Jay
    Free Member

The saddest thing for me is that not long ago there were calls to “ban the Burka” because of fears women were being forced to wear them and it was a tool of oppression. Now… Who knows the reasoning other than Islamaphobia? It’s certainly not to offer freedom to Muslim women, it’s because some fear and hate them.

sbob
    Free Member

Old people fear change.

MSP

Ban the burka, no, that would just isolate people and make their lives worse.

I would like to see the same application of anti discrimination laws to religious organisations as apply to any other though.

GrahamS

But it is ok for a religion to tell women what to wear?

Can’t say I’m wildly keen on that either – but plenty of other religions tell both men and women what they can and cannot wear.

I doubt 57% of people would be keen to ban nuns from wearing habits, priests wearing white collars, Sikh’s wearing turbans, or Jewish men wearing kippah.

More over, I don’t think it is valid to say “To stop you misogynistic bastards oppressing women and telling them what they are allowed to wear, we are going to make a law telling women what they are allowed to wear”

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Is the OP some kind of bet?

I feel the OP could have least of waited till tomorrow morning. People have to go have their tea etc.

sbob
    Free Member

I doubt 57% of people would be keen to ban nuns from wearing habits, priests wearing white collars, Sikh’s wearing turbans, or Jewish men wearing kippah.

None of those cover the face though.

Let us not forget why the burka is worn.

wrecker
    Free Member

Last I checked We’re pretty free to wear what We like within reason. I like that.

zippykona

Don’t ban it. It does however stop the ladies integrating.
    I’m on nodding terms with lots of people i dont know. There’s no way a veiled lady can make friends with someone she’s not allowed to show her face to.
    As for the beach I wear a long sleeve top , a hat and shorts for swimming. If there are jellyfish I put on leg warmers and gloves. Is that banned?

GrahamS

None of those cover the face though.

Here are some pictures of ladies in burkinis for you. See if you notice anything:

cchris2lou

On the burkini issue, it only became worthy of news to hide the fact that the french government were forcing new and harsher labour laws.

allan23
    Free Member

Last I checked We’re pretty free to wear what We like within reason. I like that.

+1 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don’t like the idea of people hiding their faces in public, and I have no respect for a misogynistic religion like islam.

You use too many words for your level of bigotry so fixed it for you.

Anyone thought about asking a woman wearing the burkha how she feels about a bunch of over-privilidged, white males deciding how she should be free ?

D0NK

Let us not forget why the burka is worn.

not quite got down to your beach body weight? Nothing else clean?

so specifically the burka? Not the niqab or hijab or any other of the funny clothes these people wear? Pretty sure it’s fear of the different,face covering is just a handy stick to beat someone with.

But otoh I’m still kinda torn on the if you have to remove your hoody/motorcycle helmet/none religious(slashculteral) head gear then everyone has to have their faces showing too.I’m generally of the opinions that special rules for your religious beliefs can get bent. (this can quite easily be solved by not stipulating helmets/hoodies must be removed, aslong is everyone is treated equal I’m not bothered what the rules are)

sbob
    Free Member

The burkini is very different from the burka.
    You did title the thread “ban the burka”.
    You would not get a burka wearer in a burkini.

D0NK

unless you inerview each and every burka wearer you don’t know whether they are being forced by family, indoctinated or genuinely just kinda like that get up. So forcing our rules on them to counteract their religion/friends/family supposedly forcing their rules on them is stoopid.

lunge

A hajib and headscarf? No, no issues with that at all.
    The burka or niqab where the face is covered, I don’t like. Nothing religious in it, I had equal distain for all religions, just that I like to see people’s faces. Motorbike helmets and balaclavas don’t fill me with joy either.

As for burkini’s, well, until someone can explain why someone can wear a wetsuit with hood, a long sleeved dress and hat or such like but not a burkini I think we should leave people ro wear what they see fit.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Daaaaaayaaamn!

But stop moving the goalposts, OP.

GrahamS

Here are some nice safe Catholic nuns.

Where is the law forcing them to undress to save them from misogyny?

zippykona

Having peripheral vision whilst driving should be requisite ,whether a veiled lady or a yoot in a hoodie.

GrahamS

The burkini is very different from the burka.
    You did title the thread “ban the burka”.
    You would not get a burka wearer in a burkini.

Very true but the article I linked mentions both. 46% of the people polled were in favour of banning burkinis.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I can’t help but feel this thread is allowing Graham to covertly post all the jpgs from the folder labelled ‘Sexy’ on his desktop.

sbob
    Free Member

allan23 – Member

Anyone thought about asking a woman wearing the burkha how she feels about a bunch of over-privileged, white males deciding how she should be free?

I would have asked one the last time I attended mosque, except they weren’t allowed in.
    Let me guess, you’ve never attended mosque and have tried to start an argument with someone who has a much greater understanding of Islam and how it is taught in the UK?

crikey
    Free Member

There’s no way a veiled lady can make friends with someone she’s not allowed to show her face to.

So blind people can’t have friends?

I make friends with people easily, but I think it’s a function of being Northern; we’ll talk to anyone, and we do. I’ve chatted to ladies in the full face cover plus veil before and they’re just like everyone else.

wrecker
    Free Member

Why the hell (sorry) would anyone give a shit what someone else wears to the beach?

sbob
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

Very true but the article I linked mentions both. 46% of the people polled were in favour of banning burkinis.

It would not surprise me if a large percentage of those people don’t even know what one actually is.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

So blind people can’t have friends?

Goddamit….I am almost tempted to cancel my evening’s plans to see how this one pans out.

D0NK

Having peripheral vision whilst driving should be requisite ,whether a veiled lady or a yoot in a hoodie

is this a recognised stat or just another stick to start swinging? I dunno, but anecdotally I’ve never started shouting abuse at a driver for almost killing me and seen a lady with her face covered behind the wheel – or a hooded yoot for that matter. Lot’s of experience of drivers who seem to have a limited field of view but it was just their inability to look properly, no headgear evident.

Why the hell (sorry) would anyone give a shit what someone else wears to the beach?

humans innit, crap design, despite what your chosen prophet might have said.

ninfan
    Free Member

Isn’t equality about treating everyone the same?

Junkyard
    Free Member

More over, I don’t think it is valid to say “To stop you misogynistic bastards oppressing women and telling them what they are allowed to wear, we are going to make a law telling women what they are allowed to wear”

THIS

There’s no way a veiled lady can make friends with someone she’s not allowed to show her face to.

WHy is she my friend then?
    We even go to the cinema together

She is not married who are you blaming for her choice…sorry i mean forcing her to wear this?

people can wear what they like
    Its not my choice

the real problem is white western MEN, whose expertise in islam is slim, have decided every Burka wearing woman is a picture of misogynistic oppression. Its a deeply flawed premise

have tried to start an argument with someone who has a much greater understanding of Islam

never ever do an appeal to authority and never ever do it to your own authority

sbob
    Free Member

Where is the law forcing them to undress to save them from misogyny?

Where is the law forcing these guys to undress to save them from misogyny? 💡
    😉

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Back row, far left. Has anyone seen a happier looking monk?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 179 total)

The topic ‘Ban The Burka?’ is closed to new replies.