Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Ballpark figure for a dormer window
  • tjagain

A wee bit help chaps.  I am doing a load of work on the flat and it looks like we will have a bit of money to spare.  There is space and we would get permission to put a dormer window in.  Has to be wooden sash and case and the last similar window I had cost nearly £2000 ( double glazed heritage spec etc etc)  the dormer would be easy to fit in that roof access is good and there is a parapet so no rope work needed.  I’m thinking total cost for a single window dormer about 5ft wide using a heritage spec double glazed single sash and case would be about £5000.  Is that in the right ballpark?  thats assuming paying for all the exterior work but doing all the interior work myself so no interior finish required

5plusn8
    Free Member

That is about what I paid, including leadwork.

£700 scaffold – to 4th floor.

Its about 2.2m wide and goes to 2.1 high
    It was 600 for the carpentry and 245 for wood, basically a stud frame and ply sides/ roof.
    Then 2k for it all to be leaded into the existing roof .
    1k for the window, hardwood small panes was 1400 wide 700 high, 3 panels two openers and a middle one.
    Then  about 500 to insulate and board it. 140 plastering and some electrics for reasons.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Someone will have to go on the roof so probs scaffolding needed, to do the flashing and whatever external finish the dormer will have.

tjagain

No scaffolding needed at all.there is a flat roof above / behind the pitched roof with easy access and a 2 ft wide parapet gutter in front/ below.  I grow plants and sunbathe out on the roof.

sounds like tho It will be a bit more than £5000 tho as the actual window will be a lot more than yours and will be 2m high and 1.7 m wide and I will need to have a lead apron in front of the window as the rest of the guttering is lead.

Ta

5plusn8
    Free Member

Mine is covered in lead, top sides etc, that’s a lot of expense 2k, when it could be done in slates or whatever.

mattbee

How high is the parapet & how far back from there to where the work needs to take place/access made?

May need some form of fall arrest/work restraint. Just because you go up there to sunbathe doesn’t mean a contractor can ignore WaHR.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Ballpark figure for a dormer window’ is closed to new replies.