Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Balanced 29er tyres
  • jayx2a
    Free Member

Looking for new rubber for the Trek Fuel and after recommendations really as so many to choose from I’m not 100% sure what will suit my needs and don’t want to end up with something too slow or something with no grip so trying to find a balance between the both.

I’m more of a casual trail/XC rider. Mainly doing laps of the local woods or a longer ride over South Downs way.

Woods are a mix of mud and gravel with a feels roots and rocks in the mix and South Downs is flat and smooth!

So want to find a fast rolling set up that won’t kill me on the corners. Usually use Maxxis as never had any issues running tubeless etc.

Was looking at the Ikon but the reviews also mentioned Schwalbe Racing Ralph/Ron’s and other people’s names!

Or maybe Ardent Race/Ikon combo?

scotroutes

Bontrager XR3/XR1 maybe?

JoB
    Free Member

jayx2a

South Downs is flat and smooth!!

you must live in a different part of the South Downs to me then 😉

if you’re familiar with the ways of Maxxis then the Ardent Race/Ikon combo will be perfect, the Bontrager XR3/XR1 would also be a good combo, or the Specialized Ground Control/Renegade

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Yak

Or Barzo/Mezcal.

Whatever grippy-fast/fast combo you go for make sure it’s the tougher xc sidewall, so exo, snakeskin, tnt for flint protection.

snotrag

Just bought tyres for my new scandal,, wanted lighter and faster than my ‘big’ bike.

Gone for forekaster front, ardent race rear.

Google ‘worldwide cycler maxxis tyre guide’ for some good useful info. Maxxis website is good too.

jam-bo

Ardent 2.4/ikon 2.35 here. Good enough to bag a few strava cups recently but then it’s bone dry and stupidly fast trails here at the moment. Probably think different once the summer monsoon starts.

dantsw13

Im down your way and my 29er HT always has On One Smorgasbords. Tubeless, good all rounder, £20 each. Love them.

jayx2a
    Free Member

When I said flat and smooth I meant the surface, not actually flat as some of those hills are a nightmare!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Balanced 29er tyres’ is closed to new replies.