Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Baileys.
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

It’s not bad is it. It’s been years since I had some.

wallop

Christmas staple, in my opinion. Not to be drunk at any other time of the year.

bmh25
    Free Member

Add a wee splash of sambuca,thatl liven it up 😀

druidh
    Free Member

wallop – Member
    Christmas staple, in my opinion. Not to be drunk at any other time of the year.

But that means you have to finish the whole bottle 😯

😆

wallop

Part of the fun! Though my error was to buy it only the day before yesterday, still a lot left…

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Ever wondered about the ingredients though?

Its basically a bit bottle of cream, that doesn’t go off. Its cream with alcohol in, which should make it curdle. It doesnt.

There must be some ghastly industrial process or product in it, and unless I could see what it was on the label, I always feel just a bit concerned drinking it.

druidh
    Free Member

Name me a mass-market alcoholic beverage which doesn’t have an industrial process or product in it. Even “real ale” is done on an industrial process once volumes determine.

wallop

From Wiki –

Most of the alcohol in Baileys is produced from a bacterial fermentation of whey.[citation needed] The alcohol – referred to as “spirits” on the company website – and cream, together with some Irish whiskey from a number of distilleries[5], are homogenized to form an emulsion with the aid of an emulsifier containing refined vegetable-oil. This process prevents separation of the alcohol and cream during storage. The quantity of other ingredients is not known but they include natural herbs and sugar.[6]

According to the manufacturer no preservatives are required as the alcohol content preserves the cream. The cream used in the drink comes from Glanbia, an Irish dairy company. Glanbia’s Virginia facility in County Cavan produces a range of fat-filled milk powders and fresh cream. It has been the principal cream-supplier to Baileys Irish Cream Liqueurs for more than thirty years.

yuk!

donsimon
    Free Member

There must be some ghastly industrial process or product in it, and unless I could see what it was on the label, I always feel just a bit concerned drinking it.

Far too analytical, just get it down yer neck…

chrisdw
    Free Member

Stick it in horlicks before bed.

bruneep

Arran gold is way better.

PePPeR

Just think of those ghastly free radicals that are keeping that lot from separating? Or that would be what my hippy mate goes on about anyway!

bobbyg81
    Free Member

If you like Baileys try Amarula!. Its well gid!

chrisdw
    Free Member

Forgot about Amarula! Its much better!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Some additional info to fluff your brains further-

Glanbia is by far the biggest dairy company / brand in Ireland.

The main industrial process involved is shaking the booze and the fat/cream- industrial style til they settle their differences and just get on. The “whisky/whiskey” content is dubious tbf. Whatever cant be sold under its own name.

“Fake” Baileys (under other brands) exists but uses coconut milk instead of cream, thus leading to some well publisised cases of anaphylactic shock for nut allergy sufferers.

Otherwise – yummy. I like getting in touch with my feminine side once a year 😉

maccruiskeen

Chemical cosh for unruly elderly relatives.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Always used to take a bottle to parties when I was young. Guess would take the piss but it made you very popular with the ladies.

organic355
    Free Member

Have you tried the guiness / baileys combo? Not mixed but in seParate glasses, sip one sip the other and repeat. Yum!

wallop

Things I have learned tonight:

Baileys on top of three pints of Exmoor Stag can result in reasonable tipsiness.

Walkers BBQ Rib crisps don’t go with Baileys (and are just a bit rank anyway).

rossi46
    Free Member

Cue Aldi’s advert.

The same thing for less

Never would i pay £17 for a bottle of Baileys when i can get some of this for £6. It tastes the same……. 😀

batman11
    Free Member

Mmmmmm Bailys biscoti flavour went down very well this year and i can’t stand drinking many things at all but that was so mmmmmmmmm lol.

Bats

chakaping
    Free Member

Give me a nice sherry anyday.

konabunny
    Free Member

Its cream with alcohol in, which should make it curdle. It doesnt.

But weirdly, if you do an “optic run”, the Baileys curdles and floats on the surface.

(Optic run = take a pint glass, put a shot in from every optic behind the bar, working left to right. As practised in awful Lowland pubs by mental young farmers).

beckykirk43
    Free Member

I don’t like Baileys on its own – very nice with milk, hot chocolate and angel delight though!

wallop

Favourite trick shot as a young’un was to give someone a large shot of Baileys, tell them to hold it in their mouth and make them sip some lime cordial… 😆

CHB

To understand how this is made you need to understand how an emulsion is formed.
    Basically it involved firing the fat/water mix at a metal plate at high velocity. If you smash it up enough then Brownian motion (remember that from physics) makes it hard for the fat drops to find each other and rise to the surface.
    The emulsifier (not a free radical as posted earlier) is a special molecule that has one end polar and one end none polar. In simple terms this means that one end of the molecule likes water and the other end likes oil. These emulsifiers coat the outside of the fat droplets and avoid it having to touch the water directly.

Simple really.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Basically it involved firing the fat/water mix at a metal plate at high velocity. If you smash it up enough then Brownian motion (remember that from physics) makes it hard for the fat drops to find each other and rise to the surface.
    The emulsifier (not a free radical as posted earlier) is a special molecule that has one end polar and one end none polar. In simple terms this means that one end of the molecule likes water and the other end likes oil. These emulsifiers coat the outside of the fat droplets and avoid it having to touch the water directly.

😥

Oh dear, what a sad sad love story.

PMK2060

I prefer the equally girly Warninks Advocaat at Christmas.

iDave
    Free Member

Espresso with a drop of Baileys. Hmmm.

onehundredthidiot

CHB not Brownian motion but like charges repelling.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Lovely in a double espresso.

chvck
    Free Member

I prefer the equally girly Warninks Advocaat at Christmas.

Don’t open it and then forget about it and then drink it at easter. No drink should be lumpy.

MoreCashThanDash

My now long departed Nan, strict methodist that she was, used to make her own, just coffee, cream and whiskey.

Another of her recipes that I never got to be told, that and the curd tarts…..

CHB

@onehundredthidiot:
    It is Brownian motion:
    http://www.edinformatics.com/math_science/suspensions_colloids.htm

I spent 3 years being taught colloid chemistry at Leeds as part of my degree, the prof that taught it to me taught the Irish how to make Baileys on an industrial scale.

CHB

Though I still share the opinion above thats its best use is as a legal chemical cosh for elderly relatives at seasonal gatherings.

RustySpanner

Vodka, Baileys, ice and cold milk used to be a favourite.

weeksy

DO NOT puke Baileys on the Sofa.. you WILL be in DFS the day after

cheers_drive

Baileys in tiramisu is the best

julianwilson
    Free Member

Old Greg loves Baileys.

bobbyg81
    Free Member

I like to drink Baileys from a shoe! 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Baileys.’ is closed to new replies.