Baggies in XC racing! My flabber is well and truly gasted

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Baggies in XC racing! My flabber is well and truly gasted
  • First we have Manuel Fumic with baggy shorts in the world cup

And now we have Marco Arelio Fontana spreading the propaganda as well. Well worth watching as he comes across as solid guy just enjoying what he does. (Very good English too)
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nXbpMCFunI[/video]

Premier Icon Pik n Mix
    Subscriber

And the big deal is?

grum

First we have Manuel Fumic with baggy shorts in the world cup

He’s obviously just insecure about how fat he is (oft-quoted argument of the Lycra evangelists). πŸ™‚

Edric 64

Or the size of his weiner

IanMunro

Manuel Fumic gets away with it by putting a pair of Marigolds on his feet.

And the big deal is?

Personally, nothing, although I foresee some traditionalist kicking up a fuss.

Premier Icon singlespeedstu
    Subscriber

They banned skinsuits in DH.
    Wander if they’ll ban baggies in XC then.

andypaul99

Fontana has a point, baggies is really more MTB, XC racing needs to change to gain popularity. Why not start with the shorts…

mogrim

Fontana has a point, baggies is really more MTB, XC racing needs to change to gain popularity. Why not start with the shorts…

Might be “more MTB” in the UK, are you sure that’s true in the rest of the world?

Edric 64

I just dont find cycling in baggies comfy or practical. Lycra for me ,cant see why you would want baggy clothing on in a speed event like xc

aP

I rode for a couple of years with baggies in the late 90s. Then I stopped because they were annoying, caught on the saddle, got in the way generally and were just too annoying for words. Haven’t used them since.
    if you’re just bimbling to the shops then I can kinda see the point but then I’ll just wear proper shorts and not bother with baggies.

geetee1972

That’s nothing. Sometimes I wear my baggies on my road bike. Sometimes I even wear them over my thermal tights.

chvck

geetee1972 wrote:

That’s nothing. Sometimes I wear my baggies on my road bike. Sometimes I even wear them over my thermal tights.

Me too, I also use flats and wear a long sleeved dh top when it’s cold. When on the mtb I wear them over my tights and then also wear knee pads, I look seriously rad.

grum

if you’re just bimbling to the shops then I can kinda see the point

Like the guy in the OP you mean?

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I’m always confused when people say baggies aren’t comfortable tbh. Not really sure how you can get wearing shorts wrong!

JCL

Good on him for improving the image of the sport. The courses are getting more tech and the races a bit shorter and Lycra doesn’t suit that IMO. Hopefully he’ll do a few Enduro’s too. He’s nuts quick everywhere.

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

sometimes baggies, sometimes lycra. choice, it’s a beautiful thing

Premier Icon mintimperial
    Subscriber

Sometimes I wear my baggies on my road bike. Sometimes I even wear them over my thermal tights.

Hmm. I was pondering the “frozen veg” issue this morning, it being bloody baltic out at 6.30am. It’s completely against the rules but baggies over tights would actually solve the problem without necessitating lavatorially-taxing double layers of lycra. Not sure I can bring myself to try it though. πŸ˜•

grum

I’ll just wear proper shorts and not bother with baggies.

You see for some people Lycra is just about practicality, but for some it’s a way of identifying themselves to everyone else as serious cyclists, just like shaving legs. πŸ˜‰

Subscriber

Like the guy in the OP you mean?

I think I saw him outside the Euro Spar in Dolgellau the other day.
    He’d just picked up some Immac.
    He must have been for a spin round CYB on the way there.

grum

Stopping for 20 Lambert & Butler and a pasty?

Subscriber

20 Lambert & Butler

10 B&H and a box of Swan Vesta I think.

longj

chvck –
    geetee1972 Β» That’s nothing. Sometimes I wear my baggies on my road bike. Sometimes I even wear them over my thermal tights.
    Me too, I also use flats and wear a long sleeved dh top when it’s cold. When on the mtb I wear them over my tights and then also wear knee pads, I look seriously rad.

Me three, apart from the bit about looking rad

>The courses are getting more tech and the races a bit shorter and Lycra doesn’t suit that IMO.<

Sorry, I just do not understand that statement. I get the whole aesthetic thing and I’ll wear baggies over my 3/4 in the Summer but on a practical level they add nothing.

walleater

on a practical level they add nothing.

They help stop the rest of society from laughing at us though.

walleater

Baggies and a Camelback FTW πŸ˜‰

>They help stop the rest of society from laughing at us though.<

Granted πŸ˜‰

JCL

>The courses are getting more tech and the races a bit shorter and Lycra doesn’t suit that IMO.<

Sorry, I just do not understand that statement. I get the whole aesthetic thing and I’ll wear baggies over my 3/4 in the Summer but on a practical level they add nothing.

They offer more crash protection. Ever binned your hip on a rock in just Lycra? The courses are shorter so the fluid loss from extra sweating isn’t such an issue.

andypaul99

Might be “more MTB” in the UK, are you sure that’s true in the rest of the world?
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO #

ill ask the rest of the world and then get back to you πŸ˜‰

ahwiles

mintimperial – Member

Hmm. I was pondering the “frozen veg” issue this morning, it being bloody baltic out at 6.30am. It’s completely against the rules but baggies over tights would actually solve the problem without necessitating lavatorially-taxing double layers of lycra. Not sure I can bring myself to try it though.

works on my commute.

i start my commute with a 12 minute road descent, and quite frankly the wind-chill is ferocious at this time of year.

3/4 bibs + thermal tights = cheap and cold.

throw a pair of cheap 3/4 ‘walking’ shorts (from decathlon) over the top = cheap and warm.

mikewsmith

Who actually GAF? Would you feel a little smaller if the guy who beats you wears non skin tight shorts?
    He’s happy, I did some fun xc (FUN EVENTS not serious stuff) and turned up in baggies and my 5.10 minaars on my feet they seemed to think I was lost… The wind resistance aero thing might be there a tiny bit but not in the margins these guys are doing.

It is possible to get shorts that are comfy that are not lycra and it’s alos possible to to get them caught on your saddle (I also use a dropper post and expect to see them in a couple of years if somebody makes a lighter one – or is that cheating too?)

martinxyz

Baggies over thermal tights is awful. I thought folk quit that malarky around 2006.

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

All of the pics of “baggies” on this thread are actually fairly close-fitting and totally appropriate to MTB. The only reason for catching shorts on the saddle, etc is if you’re not wearing proper cycling shorts or if you’re fat and have bought some that fit your waist but are too big for the rest of you.

bigyinn

Only those who seek to coordinate their bikes with their clothes need worry.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

Baggies over thermal tights is awful. I thought folk quit that malarky around 2006.

if you wear the “right” baggies, they’ll never notice tights underneath πŸ˜†

hock

So what’s the adequate alternative to this malarky then:
    – Baggies over 3/4 thermal tights and frost bite on your calves?
    – Baggies over 3/4 thermal tights and wooly socks up to your knees?
    – thermal tights without Baggies?
    – a kilt?

I mean, I totally agree that Baggies over long tights is a major fashion disaster but to some extent I hope the rest of the world can cope. I can. πŸ™‚

And there is worth:
    – Baggies over thermal tights plus Neoprene overshoes. :-))

By the way: nice shorts Rocketdog! What are they?

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

hock – Member

– Baggies over 3/4 thermal tights and frost bite on your calves?

Less weakness. It’s worth keeping knees warm, they’re fiddly delicate mechanisms, but calves barely feel the cold (it’s how we can wear kilts). I’m shorts and kneepads all year round, not because I’m super-hardcore but because it’s actually fine. Can happily post-hole snowdrifts like that.

hock

insensitivity to cold must be due to too many frost bites when you were young! πŸ™‚

(i.e. shorts as part of school uniform based on calendar not temperature)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Baggies in XC racing! My flabber is well and truly gasted’ is closed to new replies.