Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Bag. I want a bag. A nice bag. Help me find a bag.
  • banjowhacker
    Free Member

I want a nice bag to put things in. These could include, but would not necessarily be limited to, the following:
    * items;
    * laptop;
    * lock; and
    * matter.
    I am particularly warmed by the Teutonic utility of the Deuter Trans Alpine 30, and the simmering beauty of Osprey’s Escapist 30.
    You might have other ideas. I’d love to know them.
    x

geoffj

Executive briefcase?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Mission Workshop do some lovely kit…

I’ve a “Shed”

http://www.urban-cyclery.co.uk/shop/tag/Mission%20Workshop/?brand=true

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Large plain black Timbuk2 courier bag.

banjowhacker
    Free Member

Hmm. I have a Chrome Metropolis. It is a nice bag. Howandever, I find it unsuitable for fat-tyred-fun. I am more drawn to the ergonomics of the backsatchel for comfort and filth repellency while teasing the gnarl.

eggbanjo
    Free Member

Seems alot of people have nicked one of these.

ashfanman
    Free Member

Is this to wear while riding your bike?

I have a Deuter Trans Alpine. Lovely bit of kit. Available in a 32L Extra-Long version for lanky folk like myself, too, so the bag still sits nicely on your lower back.

fingerbike
    Free Member

I’d also say Timbuk2, have a medium which has taken all kinds of abuse over a few years and is still in great condition.
    Only problem is I could do with a pad for the strap and a new clippy reflective thing was nicked in a crowd, just like gravity dropper spares, you can only seem to get stuff from the states, which is a shame.

banjowhacker
    Free Member

Ashfanman: it is indeed! I have a lovely fakenger bag I use for wearing with skinny jeans (right leg rolled up and rear pant area on cleft-covering display).
    My current bag requirements are for the very type of backsatchel you describe. Lucky old me has an off-road commute to work that is like totally sick. Luggage therefore needs to be secure and roomy enough for copious office based funstuffs.

banjowhacker
    Free Member

I’m going to get an Osprey Talon or Escapist, if anyone cares.

wallop

Why not the Deuter? I find myself in a similar predicament to yourself – do be kind enough to report back once you’ve purchased the bag.

rOcKeTdOg

timbuk #FTW 7 years old, still going strong, great value for money

Timbuk Bag by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

Sandwich

Geoffj that’s a Yugoslav Samsonite. (Austrian relatives saying)

scotchegg
    Free Member

My Karrimor courier bag has been on my side since 2002.

I have no idea if they still produce such a bag. I was given it by a rep as an alternative to a crumpler. The Karrimor is still with me. It does need a wash though. That speaks more about me than the bag.

It has done a couple of 60 degree washes in it’s time and stood up to abuse including a spill on a motor bike at 70.

scaredypants

* matter.

Just make damned sure you have a separate compartment for any antimatter you may pick up along the byways. I had an aldi carrier that pretty much vapourised under those conditions – wasn’t pleasant at all.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Timbuk2 spares are now available via CycleSurgery, I believe.

neilnevill
    Free Member

could I interest you in a North fce base camp messenger bag perhaps?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/north-face-base-camp-messenger-bag-large

its luuurvely, honest 😀

dexterbexley
    Free Member

I switch between courier bags (Seagull bag with Timbuk2 laptop insert) and an Osprey Talon 22 for my commute (a mix of mtb and road) and both are ace for different reasons. The Seagull is v tough and waterproof for crappy weather commutes and shopping trips (expands to a decent size) and the osprey is light and very stable when mtbing.

Had a Deuter trans alp but I found that it was a bit too heavy and much prefer the talon. Have also had various other Osprey, berghaus, camelbak backpacks and a few Timbuk2 courier bags but I’m happy with what I’ve got now.

banjowhacker
    Free Member

Wallop,
    Having popped into town to give the goods a good fingering, I decided that the light weight of the Osprey Talons placed them above the Transalps in my index of personal luggage need.
    No outlet in Brighton seems to have any Osprey Escapists, with their myriad pockets, in stock. However, I have a similarly feature-filled Dakine pack for backcountry snow enjoyment on the continent and I have found its many loops and hidden crevices confusion-causing. Thusly I am inclined toward the unicavern of the Talon 33. *However*, if I can experience the roominess of the Escapist 30’s main compartment, such that my laptop will fit in it, its overall lovliness could win me over…
    Post-finger, the Deuters were a bit like one of my dad’s camerabags. Offputting…

scaredypants

Post-finger, the Deuters were a bit like one of my dad’s camerabags. Offputting…

Is any of that a euphemism ?
    Offputting indeed 😯

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i recently got an osprey escapist 30. I was umming and ahhing over whether to get the 25 or 30, so ordered both and kept the 30. It is a little bit bigger but the compression straps squash it down nicely.

I have yet to use it on a bike and will probably not for a while (if ever), but it was thoroughly tested last week for carrying nappies, small child stuff, picnic and waterproofs and it did a sterling job. The load did not shift all the way to the beach, around town or the nature reserve 🙂

Edit- the ability to have two compartments is very useful too, but the divider can be opened to make one big section

banjowhacker
    Free Member

the divider can be opened to make one big section

Well, that is excellent news! I was hoping as much but couldn’t find any evidence online. That’s it pretty much sold then. Thankyoukindlysir!
    🙂

nick3216
    Free Member

+1 Timbuk2

dexterbexley
    Free Member

Banjo – there is an osprey escapist on sale in rayments in Brighton at the moment I think (not affiliated with the shop, but took a shine to it at the weekend before I realised that I have far too many bags already)

banjowhacker
    Free Member

Ooh! Too late though. I ordered one online today. Mind you, I wouldn’t dirty my shoes by walking into *that* shop…

banjowhacker
    Free Member

I got a bag. A very nice bag. An Escapist 30. It is blue. It has room for my items. I am happy. 🙂

colonelwax
    Free Member

Sorry, bit off the OP’s topic but one for the Timbuk2 spares crowd – I emailed them about a spare strap about 2 weeks ago and they popped one in the post FOC from San Francisco!

Good choice BTW OP, I’ve got a Talon and I’m chuffed with it.

witty.name
    Free Member

I got a baileyworks courier 253 and would recommend.Very happy with it on and off the bike.Really hard wearing and totally waterproof so far (18 months).

matthewlhome
    Free Member

phew – glad you like it. Mine finally got a bike test this week on a commute. it was comfy with a stupid amount of weight in it.

one_bad_mofo

I’m surprised no one has mentioned Bagaboo yet. Ooh, look I just did! Expensive but oh so good. In the past, starting in 1992 I worked my way through a Timbuk II, a Fisher (the distributor, not the bike maker) and a Soma hemp bag before settling on the Bagaboo and I’ve had this four years now and despite daily use it is showing no signs of wear. It’s simply not fair how can I justify buying another?
    Best of all they do custom designs.

http://bagaboo.hu/

leffeboy

Some of the Dakine bags have a place you can put you lock without taking the bag off. Sounds worthless but it’s great when you have it

doug_basqueMTB.com

I’ve just changed my Dakine Apex bag for an Osprey Escapist 25l. I had my first ride with the Osprey today and was very, very impressed. Very comfortable, nice shape and perfect little compartments. The Dakine was great as well but the Osprey seems to be a better shape and fits nicely on my back. You can adjust the straps a lot on the Osprey which means getting it perfect is great. I carry a heavy load when guiding so the comfort of the bag is really noticable.

Once I’ve had a couple more rides I’ll review the bag for my site. So far, so good!

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

How about a T-Level Infinity Rolltop bag. It’s big, expensive and rare. Was going to get one then decided it was too much for me.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Bag. I want a bag. A nice bag. Help me find a bag.’ is closed to new replies.