Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Bae, to make 2300 people redundant soon,
  • project
    Free Member

seems as if another high quality company is making people redundant, and its going to have a major effect on tag on industries,and the high quality training that it brings with it.

Manufacturing is doomed in UK plc it appears.

jam-bo

doomed? full order book and has been for months. showing no signs of let-up either.

andyl
    Free Member

**** 👿

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Vortexracing

It’s not the order book thats the problem , it’s lack of anything after Eurofighter that’s the problem.

We will all find out in the morning apparently.

lets see what they say then.

Whatever the outcome it’s not good.

binners

Not to worry. According to Gideon Tesco and Macdonalds are both recruiting. The future of high skill employment is safe 🙄

project
    Free Member

There must be a great need for skilled aircraft engineers and fitters to work on deviating shopping trolleys at tesco, now if only they could design a trolley that went where you wanted it to.

Who or what is a gideon. Because theyve not got any idea about skilled jobs.

Vortexracing

I was hoping for a job here if I get binned

project
    Free Member

I want to work at the Den centre on the left sounds fun

grim168
    Free Member

I’m gonna get a job on the gas at Blackpool. Quite fancy a bit of frackin 😀

showerman
    Free Member

some 15000 have gone in last 2yrs its said.

jam-bo

I met someone who had been made redundant from BAe three times. Every company he went to got bought up…

Gary_C

A friend of mine works at Samlesbury. A meeting at 10am tomorrow apparently. 🙁

Vortexracing

Yip I’m at Warton, Both Samlesbury and Warton will ‘be briefed’ tomorrow

Riksbar

There must be a great need for skilled aircraft engineers and fitters to work on deviating shopping trolleys at tesco, now if only they could design a trolley that went where you wanted it to

BAE SYSTEMS can do that for you, but they will cost £23million each and take 18 years to deliver.

(and they won’t go where you want them to :wink:)

stevewhyte
    Free Member

BAE SYSTEMS can do that for you, but they will cost £23million each and take 18 years to deliver.

(and they won’t go where you want them to :wink:)

Yes but the middle east countries will love them.

Lols

binners

Who or what is a gideon.

Its George Osbornes real name. He’s obviously dropped it to appear less like a moronic, braying, over-privileged, clueless, chinless toff

Its going well

aP
    Free Member

Well, when I was in Penrith earlier today headline news was “Council axes 20 jobs”. Nowhere’s safe.

iDave
    Free Member

Osborne changed his name when he was 12 Binners. He may be a **** but the name change thing isn’t why.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its George Osbornes, heir to the Osborne baronetcy (of Ballentaylor, in County Tipperary, and Ballylemon, in County Waterford), real name.

FIFY

mrmo
    Free Member

Its George Osbornes, heir to the Osborne baronetcy (of Ballentaylor, in County Tipperary, and Ballylemon, in County Waterford), real name.

Just dawned on me, Osbourne is Irish and is taking revenge for the centuries of English misrule of Ireland.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

So he’s an Irish kock then.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

One of my works colleagues husbands is contracting for BAE doing redundancy calculations. Originally he was only taken on for a few weeks but they keep extending the contract and recently have extended it for 6 months which they haven’t done before so obviously busy times ahead!

druidh
    Free Member

mrmo – Member
    Just dawned on me, Osbourne is Irish and is taking revenge for the centuries of English misrule of Ireland.

Surely it should be written O’Sbourne then?

Dolcered

From i started with BAE 10 years ago there has been year on year speculation of redundancies.

We’ve not long had our last round of voluntary redundancies, it seems they want out the aircraft industry right enough.

Best wishes to all involved.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I will find out at 10.00am also, its been the 4th round of redundancies for me in as many years, been lucky so far…

project
    Free Member

Its like a feeding frenzy on bbc, live fromoutside the gates, oh and BAE ay the staff can go home at 11.00 thats nice of them.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

No ones told me to go home at 11.00am?

benfeh
    Free Member

I would think the Osbornes were part of and benefitted greatly from centuries of British misrule in Ireland.

So consequently he is genetically predisposed to crapping from a great height on what he might consider the lower social orders – regardless of nationality.

Redundancy isn’t fun and I wish everyone facing it all the best.

hora
    Free Member

The Governments overspent on defence for many many years. Sad though for the employees.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

The Governments overspent on defence for many many years.

the government has miss spent not over spent. Its like they spend 5 grand on a bike and its got a slx crank and tora forks.

binners

True Hora. Not like we needed too either was it? Living in a time of eternal peace and everything. The blame lies with stupid gung-ho politicians getting us into pointless wars

All the best to the Bae lot. Not a good situation to be in.

And as its the north west that’s going to take the hit on the job losses, nobody in the corridors of power will give a toss. Unaware, or more likely just unconcerned as they are about anything going on outside the M25.

Looks like things are going to get a bit grimmer up this part of the country. Not to worry though. As long as George and Dave’s friends keep raking in what they need to keep them in multi-million pound Chipping Norton properties, that’s ok

hora
    Free Member

Theres that and over-run, over-budget etc.

Then theres Nimrod.

I imagine most of it is down to the ‘Customer’ (staff in Whitehall/ex-Military etc) changing their minds, indecisive etc etc whilst the meter is running).

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Good luck to anyone at BAE and others in the same situation. Happened to me 10 months ago and is no fun

hora
    Free Member

binners, the Policitians are too busy trying to look ‘fair and open/unbiased’ to their Euro allies…the latest being Bombardier thrown to the wall…

Watching the Despatches Program last night on Tony Bliar really depressed me.

How to look ‘good’ whilst feathering the nest.

binners

Hora – its down to the MOD procurement staff being absolutely and utterly incompetent.

Did you see the Dispatches programme on Four about it not long back? The ****-wittedness truly defies belief.

The full programme isn’t on 4OD unfortunately

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/articles/how-the-mod-wastes-our-billions-video-clip

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I think I will go for a beer at lunchtime, and then a big ride tonight.

stumpyjon

Military Air & Information – News Online
    Military Air & Information – Notice 08/011 Potential Job Losses
    With our workload for the UK Ministry of Defence reducing, partially driven by decisions made in last year’s Strategic Defence & Security Review (SDSR), we are more dependent on international work than ever before. However, in the wake of the worldwide economic downturn, all our customers are facing huge pressures on their budgets and cost has increasingly become a priority. Our businesses need to rise to this challenge to survive.

We need to put MAI into the right shape for the challenges we will face now and in the future. Transforming MAI will not be easy and we will end up with a business that is smaller but it will be profitable and sustainable. With a clear focus on: combat air (F-35, Typhoon and Unmanned Air Systems); and information, training and support services; we will have a business with a sound future.

A changing workload
    Some of our major programmes have seen significant changes. On Typhoon, the four partner nations have agreed to slow production to help ease their cost pressures. Whilst this will help stretch our production schedule until we receive anticipated export contracts, it does reduce the workload at a number of our sites.

Pressure on the US Defence budget and top level programme changes mean the increase in F-35 production rates will be slower than originally planned, again impacting on our expected workload.

These programme changes, along with the impact of the SDSR, the completion of UK Hawk AJT production and a reducing workload across a number of Defence Information projects, means that we don’t have enough work to maintain our workforce at today’s level.

Cost Reduction
    Over recent years, the Company has invested in programmes and sites to sustain them until we received anticipated orders – this position has now become untenable. Failing to act now will impact on our ability to win new business, so we can’t afford to delay making some tough decisions.

Over the last nine months through our Cost Reduction Programme, we have identified opportunities to save money, particularly in our non-labour budget. This has included working with external suppliers on their costs, working with our colleagues in Head Office on reducing their costs, examining our IT spend, re-evaluating our planned investments and challenging all forms of discretionary spend. Despite this action, our overheads have not reduced in line with our workload. We therefore believe we need to reduce the number of roles that support the business, whether they are linked to the affected programmes or not.

Action is needed
    Regrettably, we have today begun consultation regarding 2676 potential job losses across MAI affecting a number of our sites and RAF bases on which we have a presence.

As part of this, we will start consultation on a proposal to end manufacturing at Brough with the aim of consolidating our manufacturing capability on fewer sites.

The potential job losses are as follows:
    • 899 at Brough
    • 565 at Samlesbury
    • 822 at Warton (Including Preston)
    • 51 at Christchurch
    • 9 at Farnborough
    • 19 at Filton
    • 81 at Frimley
    • 35 at Hillend
    • 7 at Malvern
    • 19 at New Malden
    • 132 at Yeovil
    • 33 in other UK locations (Including RAF Bases)
    • 4 in overseas locations

We appreciate this is difficult news and we will work closely with employees and their representatives to explore ways of mitigating the potential job losses, a process we have already started.

We will do everything we can to support MAI employees in line with the BAE Systems ‘Protection of jobs and handling rationalisation’ document. The teams leading the consultation have my full support in seeking mitigation opportunities across MAI and other BAE Systems businesses.

At this time, employees are not required to take any specific action. We will continue to keep you informed of progress and of the next steps.

We understand that this announcement creates uncertainty and concern but we believe that by taking actions now we will have a sustainable business going forward.

Chris Boardman
    Managing Director, Military Air & Information

hora
    Free Member

Yes, its almost a weekly feature/variation in the Sat or Sun Times as well!

Booms coming to an end though.

Did you see the news last night – ‘We’ flew countless missions over Libya in support of the rebels yet Britain has to stand patiently in a queue for any new oil contracts/rebuilding etc.

stumpyjon

Feel for you guys, was told I was redundant 2 weeks ago, finish this Friday. I’ve been very lucky though and managed to line up another job. There is work out there, particularly for good trained people (BAE background is not going to hurt your CV). I understand how it feels to be told though, I felt like I’d been physically punched in the stomach.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I see I have a few MAI colleagues on the STW board then.

I’m in the 132 potentials office – that’s about 45% of the staff! As we’re busy, the effect on capability is going to be significant.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Bae, to make 2300 people redundant soon,’ is closed to new replies.