Badgers…

Home Forum Chat Forum Badgers…

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Badgers…
  • zokes

Zokes you do know that a bcg is only about 80% effective and only lasts 15-20 years don’t you.

So… presumably 1 in 5 should have TB (I know more than four people, none of us have TB, and I’m fairly sure this is a common story), and people 30+ should be even more likely to contract it. I know plenty people over 30, and none of them have TB either.

Yes, I know that’s a misuse of the statistics, but it’s much less of a misuse than the government is responsible for in its interpretation of the science on this.

Thats answers my question then – thanks irc, zero research means not even read the whole thread properly 😳

We seem to import alot of meat (horsemeat scandal?). Become self sufficient, dont bother exporting meat and eat the stuff that has been vaccinated against TB maybe?

samuri

It’s all pointless anyway, we’re all gonna get the black death and die.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23843656

samuri

And this map is interesting

There’s badgers pretty much everywhere TB has broken out in some very distinct areas, and we’re killing badgers in completely different areas.

Well I’m sold. What a crock of shit.

tazzymtb

Zokes, that’s a rather blatant disregard of how population immunity works but hey you have a point you want to make so don’t let science get in the way. You only have to look at the increase in measles as a result of the mmr scare and reduction in group immunity leading to an increase in viable disease vectors to see. Anyway shooting badgers, not a fab idea but immunisation of the badger population won’t work as the total percentage of the population that would need to immunised to effectively break the transmission cycle is unfeasible….not a simple answer really.

zokes

Zokes, that’s a rather blatant disregard of how population immunity works

I admitted as much, however, this:

but hey you have a point you want to make so don’t let science get in the way.

is also true of the government and the present ‘scientific trial’.

Thankfully I’m only making a point with a semi-spurious interpretation of statistics on a cycling forum. The government is doing it on a vast scale in real life, in direct contradiction to the research and advice it paid for. I’d aim your scorn at them if I were you.

Anyway shooting badgers, not a fab idea but immunisation of the badger population won’t work as the total percentage of the population that would need to immunised to effectively break the transmission cycle is unfeasible….not a simple answer really.

Hang on, you say immunising them so they can’t pass TB on won’t work, but killing them (presumably so they can’t pass the disease on) will. I are confuse.

tazzymtb

Nah I was saying that shooting them is a dumb idea but so is immunising them. Unless there is going to be a mass badger genocide to wipe them out as a vector or to reduce them to isolated pockets it’ll never work. Now if we could turn them into a food source or have badger wool and badger milk the farmers could get rid of the cows and have badger ranches instead. No more bovine tb issues. I should be prime minister. .I think of solutions that’ll help the world 😀

According to that map theres no badgers where I live (Cornwall, and not in one of the little pink spots) I rode my bike near a big badger sett tonight. There is a path over the hedge accross the road from my house that is at least decades old made by badgers, we cannot leave the bins out overnight before collection day because the buggers rip the bags open and I have seen four run over out on the road in the last six months (thats right outside, see many more when driving further afield) If there’s no badgers in the cull area how do they manage to find the reported 100+ a night to shoot?
    I still don’t know if I agree with this cull or not but that map is wrong.

Premier Icon Jon Taylor
    Subscriber

It’s my understanding that this trail is to determine how effective shooting is as a method of control rather than effecting the outcome of further infections of TB

Next weeks Telegraph headline

“TB Outbreak, Strain Carried by Fox”

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Badgers…’ is closed to new replies.