Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Bad news for wales
  • ferrals
    Free Member

<iframe src=”https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FOpenMTB%2Fposts%2F2170636789822584&width=500&#8243; width=”500″ height=”300″ style=”border:none;overflow:hidden” scrolling=”no” frameborder=”0″ allowTransparency=”true” allow=”encrypted-media”></iframe>

Edit. Ok that didn’t work – Facebook OpenMTB page says Welsh govt aren’t going to pursue open access trails despite 70% of responses in favour

scotroutes

Bad news for posting links to Facebook

chvck
    Free Member

Despite being a bit of a mess that link does still work. Also, that sucks.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Just read this too. Quite supprised that there was no change.

A response if “now is not the time” is quite a typical brush off. “We have done our job of listening, now bugger off.”

Perfect excuse not to do anything for years too as it will always be claimed “We looked into this X years ago and it was decided it was not feasible”. Bla bla bla.

chakaping
    Free Member

Bad news for everyone!

Please follow OpenMTB on Facebook for updates on this and other access and advocacy related issues…

https://www.facebook.com/OpenMTB/

Anyway the post reads….
    <div class=”_5pbx userContent _3ds9 _3576″ data-ft=”{"tn":"K"}”>

Trails for Wales update – it’s bad news.

The Welsh Government has stated that it will not be proceeding with significant access reform following it’s recent consultation on the issue.

We at OpenMTB are both deeply disappointed and somewhat perplexed, as the public consultation carried out last year was overwhelmingly in favour of the administration’s own suggestion of creating single-status rights-of-way – effectively allowing cycling on most footpaths. There were around 16,000 responses in total, with more than 70 per cent backing the plan.

However Welsh Minister for Environment Hannah Blythyn has now said: “There were strong but differing views on how best to reform access legislation. We therefore believe that now is not the right time for substantive reform.”

Not only does the Welsh Government’s decision ignore the huge demand for change in a country that – in places – is particularly poorly served with legitimate MTB routes, it also ignores the huge contribution that active tourism already makes to the Welsh economy and the potential for growth in the sector, as well as the general health benefits that would accrue from improved access.

We are awaiting more detailed feedback from the WG as to why it has disregarded a landslide in favour of its own proposals, with mountain bikers making up the bulk of the largest-ever response to a consultation by the administration.

In the wake of his disappointment we are determined to continue to push for access reform in Wales as well as in England – and we hope to continue to harness the impressive determination and focus shown by the mountain biking community during this campaign.

</div>

scaredypants

I’m in the Just **** Do It camp – and when challenged say that the people have spoken and access means access

TheBrick
    Free Member

Will of the people!

ferrals
    Free Member

Agreed @scaredypants. Even so, disappointed by this. I live in one of the more populated areas of Wales and even so I rarely see anyone else on half the footpaths, makes complete sense to open up access.

neilthewheel

No access, no subsidy!

This is very disappointing btw

milky1980
    Free Member

Very disappointing.

We’ve had the consultation and the public said overwhelmingly that they wanted more access. The Welsh Govt. have now decided to ignore this and listen to a few outspoken and well connected opposers by the looks of it.

I’m just going to ride whatever public right off way I feel like now, when it’s sensible.  I’ve laid off the cheeky stuff for a bit while all this has been out for consultation but now I’ll ride whatever is suitable.

tdog
    Free Member

Bastadoos and that haven’t they realised that Wales will now lose out on all the wealth that mtbers bring with them and would be a bit if not a chunk loss to their economy in the big picture of things.

somafunk

Another one who is in the “just ride where you **** want” camp, with the added proviso don’t ride like a dick.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Plus me too soma.  **** the landed gentry.

ninfan
    Free Member

Plus me too soma.  **** the landed gentry.

Thats really not the land ownership issues or objections we’ve witnessed in Wales

seosamh77
    Free Member

I endorse this “go mental” motion wholeheartedly! 😆

phiiiiil

So when is the right time for substantive reform, in the view of Hannah Blythyn?

What a cop out.

molgrips
    Free Member

Some rich landowners probably ‘expressed an opinion’.

Northwind

We’re off to Wales on saturday, where is the rioting to be held?

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

We’re off to Wales on saturday, where is the rioting to be held?

On the footpaths. Walking is slow and boring though, you’d be better off getting there by mountain bi…

Oh.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Is this the same Wales that will now not see another penny of European money to build any more trail centres?

funkmasterp

Well there go my plans for the cake stall at the end of every footpath franchise. Sad news

Kamakazie

Absolute joke.

lister

Yep Onzadog, we’ve done ourselves over again.

Advertise ourselves as an international destination for adventure sports.

Build facilitites with European help.

Vote for Brexit by a ridiculous margin.

Decide to not allow increased riding potential despite overwhelming support.

Wonder why, in 5-10 years, the bottom falls out of the tourism and adventure market…

Bruce

Did any of you actually expect any different outcome from this?

I am quite old and have decided I will see little change in my lifetime so I will ride on what ever path I like it will make little difference. See you all on the nearest footpath.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

What this needs is a smaller split. Say 52/48%. That 70% in favour is just not democratic.

(Sorry. Had to be done)

roverpig

Absolutely. If 52% of the population want something then it is absolutely the “will of the people” and can’t be ignored. If 70% want something then clearly there must be some mistake 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

Unfortunately these days “talking about doing something” is confused with “doing something”.

For those discussing this, what’s the approximate natural trail/trail centre split of your off-road riding? For me it’s 99%/1% – I’d say for the last year it’s 100% natural trail as I can’t actually remember when I last visited a trail centre.

Edit: Maybe better to state the split for your off-road riding in Wales. In my case definitely 100% natural, it’s the best part of 10 years since I’ve been to a Welsh trail centre.

I’ve done quite a bit of riding in Wales in the last couple of years (for someone who lives over two hours’ drive away in Yorkshire) and even on existing ROWs there’s very little usage. Even some bridleways with easy access and that are rideable in most conditions have just a handful of attempts on Strava when the likes of Coed y Brenin have tens of thousands.

I agree with the aims of the proposal and the sentiments expressed above but if the existing ROW network isn’t being used to any great extent then the powers that be will just say “why bother?”, inertia wins.

molgrips
    Free Member

even on existing ROWs there’s very little usage

In my experience it’s the same as any other area of the UK with similar population.

You could ask what difference it makes if you let bikes on trails if there’s hardly any bikers around anyway…

whitestone
    Free Member

You could ask what difference it makes if you let bikes on trails if there’s hardly any bikers around anyway…

That’s true and very much a “my cup’s half full” type of argument. Sadly officialdom would just use it as an excuse to do nothing.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well we do still have the ‘tradition of access’ clause on open access land.. which covers most places you’d ride in Wales.

chrismac

As with most things to do with the government. The will of the people has been replaced with the will of the well connected and wealthy donors.

scandal42
    Free Member

If you live locally to good riding on footpaths then just do it.

Just don’t be dick.

PrinceJohn

Should we arrange a day of trespass on the footpaths?

jam-bo

Should we arrange a day of trespass on the footpaths?

do you think anyone will notice?

Trimix
    Free Member

I don’t think its disappointing.  It wont change my riding, nor should it change yours.  Just follow the cheeky rules of riding.

As has been said before, almost no one will be bothered by you riding cheeky if your not a dick about it.  Most walkers don’t bother or know of the rules.

The land owners / council / objectors are not on the trails, so carry on and ride them.

Personally I was not in favour of making a noise about this stuff, I recommended that we just kept on doing what we have been doing.  Sad that a lot of effort to change it in our favour has gone to waste, but I’m not surprised at the outcome.

But don’t let that spoil your riding.

molgrips
    Free Member

The will of the people has been replaced with the will of the well connected and wealthy donors.

What do you mean ‘been replaced’?  When was this golden age of egalitarianism that you’re thinking of?

It has always been thus, as long as democracy has existed.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

It has always been thus, as long as democracy has existed

Nah, back in the old days you had to qualify as a person first, assuming you did, your voice was listened to. Most people didn’t qualify but at least there was no suggestion you had any more value than cattle.

Now we have “universal” suffrage and everyone gets a voice but it’s largely ignored.

The outcome is the same but the lie is very different.

molgrips
    Free Member

And even amongst those who qualified you still bought your influence.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Just because the so-called ‘law’ haven’t given permission, doesn’t mean you should stop doing it.

People confuse the so-called law with what is right/moral and what is lawful.

Historically, laws have been written, in the main, by paedos and serpentine scum (one and the same) aka ‘the elite’.

wind-bag
    Free Member

Disappointing for Welsh Tourism, and I am aware that opening up access rights won’t suddenly see an influx of overseas visitors, but it may help in a small way:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45060541

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Bad news for wales’ is closed to new replies.