Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bad form push-ups
  • sirromj

where your elbows flare out so forearms aren’t locked in vertical position.

Are they really so bad?

Feels a more natural way to do them to me, a bit easier, and have been making progress with them alongside inverted rows and seated dips. Also feels slightly better on my wrists as don’t need to lean forward so much.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Mix them up, narrow, wide, thumbs together, hold in upright position, halfway, fully lowered fast slow, I used press up bars for a while until my son nicked them,ignore the purists.

BoardinBob

Arm position doesn’t matter.

Core strong, don’t let the hips drop, chin and chest to floor are the only things that matter

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cheekyboy
    Free Member

Try a session of 60 second plank with 30 seconds of press ups.

zilog6128

A quick google suggests elbows in is possibly better for the shoulder joint? Never thought about it before, but I’ve always done it that way. Don’t see how it would hurt your wrists though unless you had a mobility issue. I would say just do it whichever way feels best though, your body is pretty good at telling you when something ain’t right!

I wouldn’t ever do an exercise variation just because it was easier & it let me do more reps though, that makes no sense if you’re trying to get stronger.

sirromj

Thanks will try suggestions plus a bit more persistence.

Some of them say that it’s bad for the elbow joint for elbows to flare out, but it doesn’t feel bad at all to me. Feels more of a strain on upper arms (fact checking…. please wait…) lower arm muscles with elbows in.

Definitely need to mix it up a bit.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Try a session of 60 second plank with 30 seconds of press ups.

sirromj

Think I’ve got too much jacket potato, tuna, topped with banana custard in my belly for that right now.

sirromj

With regard to mixing up the different forms of push ups goes, any recommendations for that?

I’m currently aiming to do these exercises (as mentioned in #1) at least twice (mostly) or three times a week. Currently using a DIY push-up bar, my max with regular push up currently at 16,16,20,20,16.

Would trying to do a different form for each of those sets be a good idea?
    would need to drop down the reps for the forms I’m not used to. Don’t suggest archer push ups to me at this stage, not strong enough.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Try moving on to press ups with slightly elevated feet next 💡

Try proper dips as well maybe, doing them on a bench is meant to be bad for your shoulders.

footflaps

Good guide to proper form, although you’ll very rarely see it in a normal gym

https://gmb.io/push-up/

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

those push up platforms that rotate as pretty good – although maybe not as robust as they could be. Makes the movement feel much more ‘progressive’ – or something like that.

Speeder

Blimey I’ve been doing it all wrong all these years – I make a T with my arms. Think I’ve tried that elbows straight back style but really struggle – time to man up and do it properly then.

footflaps

Think I’ve tried that elbows straight back style but really struggle – time to man up and do it properly then.

It’s much harder, but your shoulder is much better supported by the Lats etc in that position, so it’s a stronger base to work from and less likely to cause injury.

Keva
    Free Member

try hindu press ups

sirromj

Tell you what, Diamond push ups make correct form quite easy in comparison.

prettygreenparrot

ouch!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Bad form push-ups’ is closed to new replies.