Viewing 11 posts - 121 through 131 (of 131 total)
  • Bad Driving- what's the answer?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

modify the parking sensors in modern cars …

say – closer than the 2 second rule for a given speed an audible annoying beep comes on and stays on till you haul back – not ideal but better than tailgaiters 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

You may think so, Mung-Bean, but people blether on about relatively isolated cases of bad cycling

I think you’ll find they’re not relatively isolated to be fair. Cycling has become a very popular thing around here, I see 20+ cyclists on a daily commute which in reality, 40 cyclists a day, is probably not a long way off the number of cars I see (moving) a day on the same commute. I might see say… 200 or so cars I guess, take real notice of about 100 of them. While I see almost all of the cars speeding etc, I also see almost all of the bike breaking the rules too, just not the speeding ones.

It’s nothing to do with the method of transport, it’s peoples general lack of interest in driving properly.

NorthernStar
    Free Member

Well, NorthernStar never exceeds the safe limit. That much I can make out.

I doubt whether there’s any driver on the road who has never broken the speed limit to be honest. I’m certainly not perfect in this respect and nor is anyone else.

What I will do though is drive according to the road, weather, traffic and prevailing conditions and well within both my own and my vehicles capability. If it is safe to exceed the posted limit on an open stretch of road then I will do this if I perceive it as being safe and does not impede on anyone else. At other times, driving through town then I’ll slow right down to way less than the legal limit.

A far safer way of driving than adhering blindly and rigidly to whatever the speed limit is – regardless of the prevailing conditions at the time.

coffeeking
    Free Member

modify the parking sensors in modern cars …

say – closer than the 2 second rule for a given speed an audible annoying beep comes on and stays on till you haul back – not ideal but better than tailgaiters

Lots of jap import cars have speed limit warnings (like annoying chiming bells) at something around 65 IIRC. It’s surprising how quickly people learn basic electronics, find it and rip it out. Same would happen with parking sensors, people would just disable it.

GrahamS

Strikes me that it wouldn’t be that hard to make a car that just refuses to do over 70mph for any more than say two minutes at a time.
    (circumventing the whole “you can’t limit the car I might need to accelerate out of trouble” argument).
    That would also avoid a lot of high speed police pursuits.

But as said earlier, the really dangerous speeding is not done on 70 limit roads.

Nickquinn293
    Free Member

I think its chile where the police will shoot you dead at the roadside if you get caught drink driving.

Too extreme? 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

Just be glad we don’t have morons like they’re growing in america:

molgrips
    Free Member

If I think it is it is safe to exceed the posted limit on an open stretch of road then I will do this if I perceive it as being safe and does not impede on anyone else that I can see

This annoys me too. When you’re trying to get out of a junction and people are going too fast and force you to wait when there would’ve been plenty of time to get out if they’d been travelling the speed limit.

“COMING THROUGH! OUTTA MY WAY!” Not a nice sentiment.

NorthernStar
    Free Member

This annoys me too. When you’re trying to get out of a junction and people are going too fast and force you to wait when there would’ve been plenty of time to get out if they’d been travelling the speed limit.

Christ you must get easily wound up? Would you also get annoyed to if following pulling out of that junction you got stuck behind someone who was traveling at 40 in a 60 limit on a clear road causing you to loose even more time? Or would that be okay because at least they are not breaking the law?

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s about courtesy and consideration, not time lost.

I do get mildly annoyed when people trundle around at 40mph because it’s annoying, but they are mostly old todgers who don’t feel confident going any faster. So if it’s either that or house arrest for them then so be it.

I don’t get annoyed with tractors or lorries – they have no choice. Caravans also – they want a decent UK holiday then fair enough. I DO get annoyed with caravans taht don’t pull over at let folk by though when there are lots of chances.

What I don’t like is people indulging their fetish for speed on the open road at the expense of everyone else. I do sometimes feel like a nice drive and go a bit fast (although very rarely over the limit unless motorways), but when I get stuck behind something slow I just accept it, cos it’s a public road and we all need to play nicely. I pass when there’s a good opportunity. I don’t cut it fine and I don’t take risks whilst passing.

glenp
    Free Member

That assumption – that in your car you must go as fast as possible, and that is the default, that causes cars to just assume that piling straight past a bicycle without a second thought is ok. It’s the same mentality – rather than thinking about all of the people in the system the driver is only thinking of themselves – everything else is just something in their way.

Viewing 11 posts - 121 through 131 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘Bad Driving- what's the answer?’ is closed to new replies.