Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bad beer – complain, or just one of those things?
  • RustySpanner

Due to the sad demise of Worsthorne Brewery, I had to find an alternative for presents and my own amusement.

Bought two five litre boxes from a well respected local micro last Thursday, an IPA for the son in law, a milk stout for me.

Hot day, but only 30 minutes in the back of the car before being stored in a cool place.

Tried the milk stout today and it’s OK-ish, but as flat as a pancake.

SIL has thrown the IPA away as it had already gone off, vinegary and flat.

I’ve drank at the brewery pub a few times and never had a bad pint, always top quality.

Should I just put this down to bad luck, bad handling by myself or do I have grounds for complaint?

£60 in total, so I’m a bit miffed, tbh.

ElShalimo

Take it back and ask them to try it

MrOvershoot

Pete just give them a ring, if they are any sort of fair brewers then I’m sure they will want to sort it out.

My local brewery were great when I had a batch of slightly off wheat beer, took a can back to them and they immediately said it was not right replaced the stuff I had bought and gave me £15 of free stuff + a tour of the brewery.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    reeksy

I always let breweries know if they’re product isn’t sold in the condition they would want it to be in. They’ll e grateful for the feedback and most likely will refund or replace.

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

You’re lucky the taste of just bad. I had a homebrew beer once that caused me the worst diarrhoea of my life. It was like my insides became a firehose. Thank God I had easy access to a toilet because there was no stopping it for a good 30 mins. 😀

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Five litre boxes? I presume you’re talking about a take home polypin? Given the beer is poured “From the barrel”, and thus already “served” once, in much the same way as into a glass, but simply into a plastic tapped container instead, I think you’ve left it too long. I think general received wisdom, is two days if kept quite cool. Really best enjoyed on the night. After 5 days, even kept well, it’s going to be very much “end of life”. Its not like buying a sealed product in airtight container.

My local brewery (Pilgrim, Surrey) does a mix of polypin boxes, and metal cask cans, I expect you might get longer out of the cans.

My own view, is I know its an expensive waste, but in high summer temperatures, hoping for opened, poured, bright beer to be drinkable five days after purchase is not a particularly reasonable expectation. Sorry.

jimster01

Give the brewery feedback, may just be a dodgy batch.

Sure they’ll appreciate it more than if someone “Keyboard Warrior” posted a bad review with no consultation beforehand.(Not saying you would, but other customers may be inclined to do this)

tuboflard

You’re lucky the taste of just bad. I had a homebrew beer once that caused me the worst diarrhoea of my life. It was like my insides became a firehose.

Think yourself lucky. I had this after a dodgy couple of pints at Manchester airport. It kicked in mid-Atlantic. The taxi ride from JFK was one I’ll never forget.

singletrackmind

Those 9 pt cans. They probably get filled from a cask as well.
    If its live real ale then 2 days, maybe 3.
    If it contains a decent amount of living yeast, its new beer and its kept below 10c. Then maybe 3 weeks life.
    Hard to replicate cask condition beer at home in the summer.

prettygreenparrot

Like folks say, this is effectively served beer. Drink it the same day or next day. Leave it a few days and it’ll be just as you’d expect a glass of beer to be after that time: horrid.

onehundredthidiot

I’d think that may have just had the beer go off. Hot car then a few days not good conditions for the beer in a bag. I’m sure last one I got gave 3-5 days max as being drinkable if kept in good condition.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

was this hand pump beer poured in to a box or beer already in a cask ? If it’s hand pulled I’d be drinking it that day.

Our brewery does live beer in a cask and they say drink it within 3 days

If it’s pulled from a pump in to a box thing then you really need to drink it that day

Not their fault IMO. Maybe they just need to educate the people buying the beer a bit better 😁

Ring them and ask if you got it wrong ?

wordnumb
    Free Member

Down it, down it, down it, down it, down it, down it, down it, down it, down it, down it, down it, down it… etc.

RustySpanner

Thanks for the replies folks.

Yes, it was the plastic bags in boxes.
    I’ve had the mini kegs (from a different place) before and they were excellent.

I’ve checked their website and they say the beer bags should be drunk within 1-2 weeks, so I’ll pop in and let them know.

Expensive lesson, I’ll make sure I get the mini kegs next time!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

beer bags should be drunk within 1-2 weeks

To be honest I would buy and beer ‘fresh’ from a brewery and not consume within 2-3 days it is always going to deteriorate.

Thats what can and bottles are for.

RustySpanner

Yep, I’ll stick to the mini kegs from now on!

Thanks.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.