bad back

Home Forum Bike Forum bad back

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • bad back
  • chris p

Please can anyone help. I am currently training for a couple of 100k rides and after 2 hours the base of my back and knees are killing me. Is this due to an increase in training or do i need to change bars/stem? I am using a 100mm stem and riser bars with a 20mm rise, clipless pedals.

stratobiker

If it started after you upped the training volume then – yes! I often get what you describe early season as mileage increase.

Assuming your bike is not a million miles out fit wise you should be OK.

Here’s some things that I do to try and help it….

I ride the first and last 30 mins a gear lower than I think I need.

I make sure I keep my back and knees warm.

I use a gym ball to help strengthen my back.

I do some hamstring and buttock streches before and after.

SB

chris p

Thanks strato

I am doing a 2 hour in morning i will try out. Do you use a riser or flat bar?

RealMan

Most likely saddle height. Hard to know without a picture of you on the bike though.

supercyril

I use one of these after a long ride.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bodi-Tek-Bodi-Tek-Back-Magic/dp/B001V5INF2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295115270&sr=8-1
    I know the same stretch can be replicated without apparatus but its just nice to lie there for 10 mins

TimS

If I don’t stretch my legs, I get sore at the base of my back. I suggest that you try regular hamstring and calf stretches. Knee pain could be related to saddle height, or your quads being over-developed compared to the muscles on the inside of your thighs (I had exercises from a Physio for this too).

as Tim says, are you stretching before and after riding? Make sure you do a full set of stretches before riding to get your muscles warmed up and then the same afterwards.

I would do this before changing your set up. Presumably it worked for you beforehand?

chris p

Thanks Guys

I will be stretching in the morning and hope to get rid of this discomfort as i pile on the miles.

TandemJeremy

Try a higher bar/ stem. an inch difference makes the difference between back pain and not for me – lower bar back pain in an hour, higher bar no back pain after 8 hrs

chris p

I will add another spacer and adjust bars before next long ride.

stratobiker

I am doing a 2 hour in morning i will try out. Do you use a riser or flat bar?

I use riser and or flats as I have more than one bike. Not wanting to argue with TJ, and in his case a higher bars work for him, but my take on bar hieght is…
    If your bars are too low you’ll get wrist and neck problems because you’ll be carrying to much weight on your arms. Plus you are having to lift your head to see where you are going. With bars too high you’re more likely to get arse and back problems as you are carrying too much weight in your seat. You’ll be taking more impact through your back.

Lastly, I would say, make small changes one at a time.

Could you get some “side on” pics and post them so we can see your position?

SB

TandemJeremy

Strato – its deffo a case of what works for you – and I don’t have the bars ridiculously high – around level with the seat maybe a tad higher

Your back has a series of curves – common cycling positions exaggerates the cervical curve and thoracic curve and flattens the lumbar curve which is why you get lower back pain

Its worth trying the higher bars – but it might not work for you. Also look at reach and how far forward you saddle is as this also affects the shape your back adopts

Burls72

Assuming the position on your bike is correct the bad back is probably down to weak core muscles. I used to suffer the same problem and doing bike specific core excersises cured the problem.

The knee problem could be saddle height/position or clet position. IIRC this book has a section on the correct way to set up your bike. It’s very good made a big difference for me but it’s a bit to long to explain on here. If your local Evans have it in stock you could nip in for a sneaky read!

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

A rule of thumb I was once told was to remove your hands from the bars but see if you could hold your body position using core muscles. If not, you might be too long/low for your current core strength.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘bad back’ is closed to new replies.