Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 142 total)
  • Bacon butties. How hard is it?
  • Drac

Crispy bacon comes in made by smiths. Yes, crisp the rind but the meat needs to be just past raw. Streaky is what you put around other more tasty meat products.

Find a good butcher, a really good one and buy dry, you’ll never buy supermarket again.

jimmy

Further to the original post, I had a bacon sandwich (BLT) from the cafe in Walkerburn today and it was excellent. Thick bacon, cooked not crispy but juicy and colourful. It was perfect. Relevant for the biking community where it is, I recommend.

thols2

mattsccm
    Free Member

What is it with this trendy, new fangled, designer coffee style codswallop with modern food? Bacon is fried. No body grilled it 100 years ago. It isn’t crisp, thats the same as having crispy chips. Another poncy modern invention.
    Bacon is only worth having if it doesn’t come in plastic although I will, reluctantly, conseed that it is hard to find it sitting in a block from which it is cut to taste. If it cannot be bought by the individual piece don’t buy it.
    Of course butter. What are you? Some health freak. Bet you have tofu and mung beans with your bacon. Butter adds to the grease content.

slowoldman

Bacon “grease”? That’s typical of what’s wrong with American English.

On a slightly related note, I was once eulogising to younger colleagues on the delights of pork dripping. Once they understood what it was they couldn’t believe anyone would choose to spread it on bread. Youth of today eh?

Drac

Bacon “grease”? That’s typical of what’s wrong with American English.

Is it the word?

thols2

I was once eulogising to younger colleagues on the delights of pork dripping

Hearing that brings back fond memories of my dear old dad, God bless his soul. Taken from us so young from heart failure. He had his faults, as we all do, but Jesus Christ he knew how to do a fry-up when mum wasn’t home to do the cooking.

slowoldman

Is it the word?

Yes. Grease goes on bearings. It’s bacon “fat”.

thols2

What if you rub it on the inside of your thighs to stop them chafing when you’re riding your bike?

Drac

For the motion?

thepurist

What if you rub it on the inside of your thighs to stop them chafing when you’re riding your bike?

Then it’s lard, as in “minty arse lard”

grum
    Free Member

For the motion?

Why don’t they understand, it’s just a crying shame.

TiRed

Brioche bun, toasted on the inside only on a dry pan to accept the bacon fat. And brown sauce. No butter. Over-cooked crispy bacon is not my thing. It’s just burnt.

allanoleary
    Free Member

I’m still recovering from the OP which reads as “somebody cooked my bacon wrong so all bacon is vile and I shall shun it forever”.

freeagent
    Free Member

Cure your own bacon.

Peak STW. After first slaughtering the pig with a home made knives

It’s really not that difficult and the results are amazing.
    there are some pics on my Instagram if you scroll down
    @instamatt1972

dyna-ti

Keeping the ‘grease’ or oil rather off the cooked bacon is a bad idea.
    Salt is used and its pumped for the majority of bacon sold full of nitrates.

Nothing like a jar of concentrated salty nitrates to get you going.

slowoldman

Well that’s like saying I shouldn’t dip my bread in the frying pan, which clearly would be a waste.

thols2

Well that’s like saying I shouldn’t dip my bread in the frying pan, which clearly would be a waste.

Exactly, just let it cool and scrape it up with your fingers then lick it off. Bonus is your fingers will smell like bacon.

labsey
    Free Member

Grilled to within an inch of its life, then throw the bread on top to toast it slightly. Brown sauce.

jimmy

I’m still recovering from the OP which reads as “somebody cooked my bacon wrong so all bacon is vile and I shall shun it forever”.

It does a bit but not really the case. Mostly cutting down on meat and a fried egg + tatty scone or hash brown roll is a fine thing.

dyna-ti

How many slices constitutes a Bacon Butty ?. For mine(Smk’d streaky orientated) its 5.
    Minimum.

thols2

How many slices constitutes a Bacon Butty ?

How think are the slices? If they’re 1/4 inch thick, two is plenty.

dyna-ti

I was thinking pre-sliced, so a couple of mm thick.
    1/4 is about 6mm so that sounds comparable

MoreCashThanDash

Is it the word?

👏👏

Nicely done.

Rubber_Buccaneer

your fingers will smell like bacon

Kermit, is that you?

Drac

Nicely done.

Wasted but thanks.

thols2

Kermit, is that you?

I had to think about it but then LOL.

Sandwich

Brioche bun, toasted on the inside only on a dry pan to accept the bacon fatBrioche bun, toasted on the inside only on a dry pan to accept the bacon fat

No, no, no! Proper brioche is light and airy and no match for properly cooked bacon. The dreaded fat run-through occurs and your fingers get all slippery leading to loss of filling control. Likewise they should be nowhere near a burger, too fragile for the job.

thols2

The dreaded fat run-through occurs

This is how you get your fingers to smell and taste like bacon and butter. Then you can spend the rest of the day licking them to remind yourself of the delicious food you just ate.

and your fingers get all slippery leading to loss of filling control.

The solution is to basically inhale the filling from between the buns. Hold the bun vertically, not flat and suck the filling out then take a nibble at the bread. By the time you’ve eaten your way to the bottom, you’ll just have a couple of pieces of bread dripping in bacon fat and butter left. Finish those off, suck the remaining fat and butter off your fingers and you’re good.

kelvin

Pork Grease

tjagain

I always thought bacon butties were simple until I read this thread. Now I still think its simple but many of you are off your heads
    1) must be streaky bacon. Back bacon you overcook the lean before the fat is rendered. Streaky cooks more evenly
    2) Must be fried – until the fat is properly rendered, golden and crispy but not overcooked till the lean is crispy. See point 1
    3) must be white morning rolls
    4) properly cooked bacon requires no sauce. sauce is for those who cannot cook bacon properly and require sauce to cut thru the unrendered fat

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Ah TJ. You definitely need a good sauce. I’ve recently discovered The Sauce Shop’s everyday chilli sauce with a bacon butty.

tjagain

Why? I like the taste of bacon and can cook it properly. Sauce adds nothing just detracts from the flavour.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

A decent sauce can compliment the flavour of the bacon, especially if using a decent smoked bit. That paring of sweet and salty is great.

grum
    Free Member

The sweetness of the sauce balances out the salt/fat of the bacon and provides some extra moisture. Basic cookery science TJ.

Edit: too slow

This is good stuff

Drac

Good bacon needs no sauce, streaky bacon is not good bacon.

grum
    Free Member

Streaky bacon is good for American pancakes (with maple syrup) and pigs in blankets, that’s about it.

tjagain

Streaky cooks better! You avoid the choice of unrendered fat or dry lean. Grum – if the bacon is proper bacon cooked properly sauce adds nothing

Sauce is like alcopops – its for those who want to disguise the taste!

Jeepers you guys. Really. this is basic stuff – how did you reach adulthood?

jamj1974

Why? I like the taste of bacon and can cook it properly. Sauce adds nothing just detracts from the flavour.

I like, respect and on many, many things agree with you – but damn it TJ, on this you’re wrong.

I love great bacon but a good sauce compliments the bacon. Provides the sharp and spicy contrast which really enhances it. I’m now worried that you are one of the extremists who thinks a touch of the appropriate sauce detracts from steak. You wouldn’t have a roast without gravy would you!

Drac

Streaky bacon is good for American pancakes (with maple syrup) and pigs in blankets, that’s about it.

Precisely.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 142 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.