Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Backpacks for day hikes
  • mrwhyte
    Free Member

In need of a new day pack for hiking, just day use really, no multi day adventures.
    Would prefer a mesh side to carry water bottle, as just easier to get to. Internal pocket for wallet etc. Other than that no features needed like loops for trekking poles and such like.

I have seen the alpkit Gourdon, which seems a reasonable price.

My budget is Max £40. Any recommendations at all?

joshvegas
    Free Member

The gourdon is a good pack. No internal pocket though.

Side pockets are sensible they take a litre bottle happily and don’t turf it out.

The “compression” is terrible so when its empty it a bit rubbish.

I need a new one but only because its developed a wee hole and os no longer waterproof

jam-bo

had a gourdon, ok but pretty basic. waterproof.

have an osprey talon now. bit more money but way more comfortable. not waterproof.

CraigW
    Free Member

The Gourdon is great for a simple backpack. Pretty tough, waterproof and lightweight.
    Doesn’t have any pockets or padding inside. So depends on how you pack it, best with something soft against your back, ie a jacket. I use a small drybag inside for my wallet and other little things.
    Quite comfy for me on long days out.

fasthaggis

Just back from a walking holiday.
    As a day bag I ended up using a Camelbak HOSS (morfed in to the HAWG NV ?)that I have had kicking about for ages.
    The back system insert is excellent,it also has mesh pockets and a front tool section that was handy for small stuff. These bigger trail bags seem to have gone out of fashion a bit and you can pick them up at a decent price. My other half used a Mountain Equipment Scrambler RT35 ,more of a climbing sac but still had the side pockets for bottles and storing walking poles.
    Both have drybag type main compartments.

footflaps

The Alpkit Goudon looks very basic, yes waterproof but no back system; can’t be that comfortable..

We use Osprey Talons for day walks, excellent packs but more than £40.

ElShalimo

Have a look on Amazon as they have some bargains occasionally

I got a Vaude Wizard 24/28 for about £27 last year. It’s a great little bag

redthunder
    Free Member

Veschmeshok

sack

or a sack with a loop.

Use it on the bike as well.

for the ultra pikey…. pillowcase and 2m of webbing.

https://surplusmania.weebly.com/rucksack-mania/russian-veschmeshok

BadlyWiredDog

My other half used a Mountain Equipment Scrambler RT35 ,more of a climbing sac but still had the side pockets for bottles and storing walking poles.

Mountain Hardwear rather than ME I think. Lowe Alpine Aeon in various capacities is a brilliant daypack, but over budget.

If you go on Sportpursuit and search for ‘Gregory’ they have a bunch of Gregory packs at around half price. Really good US pack brand. They have a Stout 35 for 45 quid – normally £115 – and a couple of other options too. The Zulu 35 for £55 is a total steal if you want a really featured, quite padded pack. Or there’s a Verte 25 for £45 if you want minimal – it’s really an alpine pack, but essentially a bag with straps and a bit of padding. I’d be taking any one of those over a Gourdon, which is pretty basic.

mrb123
    Free Member

I’ve got an OMM Ultra 20 which is perfect for summer walking. Reasonable capacity, super light and pretty comfortable. For winter walks I have an Osprey Kestrel 28 which is great but a fair bit heavier than the OMM.

woots787
    Free Member

I had similar criteria recently, I went into go outdoors and tried on loads of rucksacks. One of my favourites was a montane one, it had a few sizes so fitted well, nice features, lifetime guarantee and a boring colour. Using go outdoors bewildering array of discounts (price match minus 10%, another 10% for the third tuesday in the month, another 10% for my employer etc) I paid £45 rather than £80. Although I’d happily recommend that particular pack I think rucksacks are all about trying them on.

ElShalimo

Those Sportpursuit deals on the Gregory packs are fantastic!

I have the Stout 35 and it’s a great bag. Feels more like a 38/40L bag so a little big for a summer day bag but great for winter or overnight hut trips or via ferrata routes. I paid £75 last year from a local shop and thought I got a great deal so £45 is a steal.

I also have the Sunbird duffle too. It’s also a great bag for the money.

We’ve got loads of bags in the house and the Gregory ones are probably the best. They’re like Osprey but slightly heavier and more robust construction, which makes for a comfier carry if you’ve got a habit of taking to much stuff like I do

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Am going to head in to Exeter I think and try on a few packs first. Will check out sports pursuit too. I probably won’t go for the alpkit one then! although the presta pack is on offer which has good reviews, so may also take a look at that.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

After trying on a fair few, I managed to get Gooutdoors to do their price match on a Montane Hydrogen 25. Really comfy pack and seems well made and tough .In shop £72 .Managed to get it down to just under £50. So all my birthday money budget used (I am 35 yes, and not 16)

woots787
    Free Member

repairs and lifetime guarantee make them seem a good choice at that sort of money. Mine’s been great so far even if the only thing I’ve used the tool attachments for is taking plastic spades to the beach…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Backpacks for day hikes’ is closed to new replies.