• This topic has 39 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by dove1.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Backpacks – best all-day ones
  • wl
    Free Member

Need a new backpack capable of carrying everything for full day out (usual stuff like jacket, multi-tool, inner tube, grub, 2 litres of water. After one that’s stable and easy to live with, and which won’t poke my head if I’m riding steep stuff. What’s currently good. Any recommendations? Ta v much.

fazzini

Maybe not the best but I have a couple of DHB ‘Slice’ backpacks from Wiggle (15 & 30 ltr) and they have seen me alright especially given their price compared to some packs.

joemmo
    Free Member

I know this is the most mainstream suggestion but I’m very happy with my Camelbak Mule 15. It’s about 5 years old now so the model will certainly have changed but is wearing well and is a good size for spare clothing, tools etc + has a 3l bladder. The harness keeps it snug without pinching on the shoulders, just does the job IME.

ta11pau1

Mule LR.

IMG_20181004_151658
    IMG_20181004_152006

The blast is nice and low, keeps the weight on your waist, plenty of room for all your stuff too.

colourofsound
    Free Member

Osprey Raptor 14 is the top choice it seems. Tops most forums posts and ‘top 10’ lists when I googled around this a few weeks back.

Certainly happy with mine!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I liked my Raptor 14, all the nice wee touches like tool roll, hip pockets etc were ace, but it’s a tad small for ‘all day’ affairs IMO.

I have a 25 litre Kechua pack from Decthlon that is brilliant, and was cheap as well, Their stuff is so well thought out.

benp1

I’ve done 3 day bikepacking trips with my Evoc FR Enduro and a seatpack, sometimes a half frame bag if I need more space

gregburnham

I’m in the same predicament. My trusty Deuter failed at the weekend after 8+ years. I’ve seen the Salomon Trailblazer 20 Backpack on wiggle for £38, anyone know if it’s any good? Not sure if it’s a jack of all trades, or if it will be good for full days on the trails….

kelron
    Free Member

I use an Osprey Viper 9. Small enough that it’s good for tools and water on shorter rides, just big enough to squeeze in lunch and a jacket too.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

In the spirit of recommending what you have. I really like my Camelback Lobo LR. Like all packs it’s a bit sweaty and will wobble if packed badly but it’s stable if not overloaded, has enough usefull space and pockets for most things and weighs very little on its own.

Holds 3l of water in a triangular bladder. Which also has compression straps hidden in the wings so you can cinch it down as it empties independantly of the main bag.

jonnyrockymountain

uswe packs are brilliant

kayak23

Evoc fr enduro here.

Very nice pack. It’s my second. They’re much lower profile on the back than most, longer and with an integrated back protector.

The waist belt keeps things super stable. Mine has a roll out tool…roll, which is dope.

It’s also got a whistle on the chest strap for when it’s Crack a Monny o’clock.

Bit spendy mind.

Davesport

Ive been using a Camelbak Mule which I really like. Fairly compact and holds a 3 litre bladder plus enough space for a full days gear. 3 years old now and no burst seams or damaged zips. I decided to upscale a bit as I sometimes take the drone with me if I’m going somewhere remote. I put a low-ball bid on a BNIB Camelbak Kudu 20 on ebay and won it for £60. It’s got a back protector built in which makes it a wee bit heavier but it’s definitely the most comfy pack I’ve owned. I wasn’t expecting this especially considering its size. Loads of pockets and comes with its own tool roll & enough room left over for two stone of Jelly Babies. The back system isn’t the best ventilated unlike the Mule and can be a wee bit sweaty on hot days. Otherwise massive and roomy without being obtrusive.

ayjaydoubleyou

Osprey Raptor 10

Takes tools in separate bottom compartment, main compartment has vertical sleeves for a pump and shock pump, and enough room for lunch and a coat. 2.5 litre (i think) water bladder. Nice phone and money pocket at the top.

Comfiest bag I’ve ever worn.

No rain cover is the only downside.

BillOddie

I have an Osprey Zealot, not sure they still make it but based on this and other osprey experience i would go for another osprey pack in a heartbeat.

RustyNissanPrairie

Osprey Syncro 10 here – separate tool pocket with pump holder etc, decent main section, helmet holder, light mount etc. Suspended Air web back thingy keeps my back cool. Used in Alps, BPW etc.

Also have an Osprey Hikelite 32 for hard core dog walking duties.

I wouldn’t look anywhere else than Osprey for backpacks.

swavis

In the time honoured tradition of recommending what you have yourself I don’t think you’d go far wrong with the Osprey Escapist 25, just remember you don’t have to fill it! 😁

pedroball
    Free Member

The Evoc FR Trail Blackline is on offer at CRC and Wiggle and is ace – a bit different to the Enduro version. Packs down if you don’t need all the space but can be used for all day. I used it for a 3 day trip with a change of clothes for Airbnb stops.

wl
    Free Member

Evoc and Osprey Raptor 14 winning so far. But concerned about reports of Evocs nudging people’s heads on steep descents – that sounds dull. Anyone else got ideas or tips? Ta for all the help so far.

isoo
    Free Member

I just bough a Dakine Drafter second hand for 25 euros. Rode with it a few times and it seems good so far. No loose threads or any other signs of use, apart from mud stains. It has a mesh back that keeps it raised slightly off your back and is consequently fairly airy. Current models seem to have an optional back protector too.

iainc

But concerned about reports of Evocs nudging people’s heads on steep descents

I got rid of an Evoc FR medium sized one for that very reason, and replaced it with a Camelbak KUDU, which is much better in that regard.

I do still have a larger EVOC, the FR Trail Blackline, which I use for big days out with groups and it doesn’t ride up as much as the smaller volume one did.

jedi

Dakine all day for me. Hip pack for two hours or less rides. Even for snowboarding

wl
    Free Member

iain – cheers for that. Evoc’s product hierarchy seems complicated. Is your Blackline 16L? I’ve heard the CC packs are smaller and don’t interfere with helmets. Seems a really fundamental flaw in a pack that’s so popular with enduro riders. Weird.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Got a camelback hawg (think-same as he volt). Nice separate compartments for tools, food and nutrition, decent sized pump, lined pocket for phone with clip for keys, nice handy pocket on waist belt for glasses or things you want regular access to without taking the pack off your back, spine protection built in if you were to take a tumble, and more then enough volume in the main compartment for additional clothing, lunch and other things. Really well thought out features and lift weight pack.

JAG

Osprey Raptor 14

I have one and love it very much – it’s also lasted 6 years (so far!)

3 litre bladder, separate pockets for bike stuff (pumps/tubes etc…) and a Helmet Lock on the outside. I use it for all day rides and any other rucsack duties :o)

GolfChick
    Free Member

Camelbak Mule owners, I’m interested to know whether you can fit an iphone or similar in one of the waist pockets. It’s the one feature of my camelbak bumbag that I really like and it annoys me that my 14Ltr osprey can’t do.

iainc

wl – mine is the 20l :

EVOC

the one I got rid of as it was hitting my helmet on steep downs was the 10l version :

10l one

wl
    Free Member

iainc – thanks for that, very helpful.

zinger
    Free Member

https://www.roughrideguide.co.uk/Wingnut-Hyper-3.0

very light, large hip pockets,  no bladder included and its a bit expensive compared to others – but i’ve never had a sore back since i started using it 5 years back, and it does not hit my helmet going down steep stuff

fasthaggis

OP.
    As part of my backpack reduction plan,I have a hardly used Camelbak HOSS (now the HAWG?)that I need to shift.It’s a big old thing fully packed,but super comfy.
    Bought about 10 years ago for an event,but ended up going lighter/smaller so it’s been kept just in case stored for a while.
    PM me if interested.

John_Key
    Free Member

Another vote for the Osprey 14 L. Takes everything, including knee pads and other bits and pieces, fits well and is well designed. I used to go for camelbak, but Osprey are better these days

tomparkin

Another +1 for Evoc. I have a Stage 12L pack (bought via a PSA here a year or so back) which I am really impressed with.

It’s perhaps a little small for epic all dayers (although in fairness I carry much the same kit list you mentioned), so this exact model might not be the one for you. However the build quality is excellent, it’s very well designed/thought out, and has proved very robust in the time I’ve owned it. I’d definitely be happy to get another Evoc pack!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Evoc FR Enduro 20lt. Used every day as my commute pack. Never banged the back of my head. Built in protector. Used to be available in a couple of different lengths for different height riders. Mine is over 3 years old and shows no wear despite daily use.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Acre hauser user here. Although I’ve not really used it that much to be honest as stopped doing longer off road rides. Make me an offer…

timidwheeler

My Evoc FR was relegated to be my cycle to work bike as it always got caught on my full face helmet (ironically I don’t even use it for that anymore as I now need something that will take a laptop). I have three Osprey packs in different sizes and have never had an issue with any of them.

thepurist

Another wingnut fan here – I’ve been more than pleased with my Hyper 2.5.  It doesn’t feel like a big pack when you’re wearing it but it has a ton of space.

Pros- comfy, lightweight, easy access to pockets (zipped and open on each side) without taking it off.  Just feels better to wear than any large pack I’ve used (Camelback, Deuter, Vaude), especially when loaded.  “Try before you buy” from RRG.

Cons – bit pricey, doesn’t have all the clippy and pouchy internal divisions that others do (may be a pro as well), would stuggle if you have anything particularly long to fit in

mariner
    Free Member

This gets a good write up on Gear Junkie.

Deuter Speed Lite Daypack Review: Forget About the Weight

I go by shape more than anything and look for a teardrop shape that is not at wide at the top in the belief it makes me more aerodynamic at speed.
    After my LowAlpine gave up I got a Vango pack which is so far indestructible.
    They don’t make either anymore.

mccraque

Evoc 16L here. they’re build to last…. and no head nudging on steep descents with mnine. It has seen a few big offs with only one minor tear from sliding along a trail with me on top of it at 30mph.

The compartments are great, grab pockets for gels are perfect and it takes a 3L bladder if you want it to.

bigjim

For the OP’s list of stuff to carry you don’t need a very big bag. I have an evoc fr trail which is a great bag but seriously heavy and it’s for big mountain days or camera days only. Just bought an evoc cc10 for norma day rides and it’s really great, light and very well made, however it absolutely stinks after just three sweaty rides! Really odd.

dove1

Another happy Osprey Raptor 14 user here.
    Mine is about 5 years old and is still in excellent condition. Comfy to wear and easily holds everything needed for a long day’s ride. Cinch straps on the sides mean it can be ‘flattened’ when not full to stop contents moving around.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Backpacks – best all-day ones’ is closed to new replies.