• This topic has 29 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by ajf.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Backpacks and washing machines – yay or nay ?
  • iainc

I used to sling my old Camelbak Mule in the wash every few months but I suspect it did it no good, softening it/more porous ???

Current process with Evoc is let it dry in the kitchen and then brush the dried mud and dirt off following day. It looks pretty shabby, but it’s only going to get manky again within 10 mins of getting on the bike…

so what is the consensus – wash ’em or brush ’em once dry ?

FuzzyWuzzy

I wash mine as brushing off mud doesn’t get rid of sweat in the straps which was making mine smell ripe after a few months. Doesn’t really seem to affect mine (I rarely ride in the wet though), can’t you just spray with Grangers etc.?

jam-bo

I hosed mine down once when it was really grubby. other than that I don’t bother. the big lumps of mud fall off pretty quick.

Harry_the_Spider

Neither. I just keep mine in a bucket and make sure that I never put it on in the house.

beano68
    Free Member

Regularly just brush mine down but when mine get really manky I just put them in on a 30′ wash just making sure all the straps and zips are done up and never had any probs

BoardinBob

Evoc in the washing machine many times with no problems.

jonnym92

I’ve just put my Evoc on a gentle wash the other night, currently hanging to dry. I removed everything, including the back protector for washing.

Been used a lot over last 6 and the layers of mud were starting to build up.

Wouldn’t wash it after every ride, but once every few months for sure.

scotroutes

I’ve managed never to put any sort of backpack in a washing machine. If it’s wet, wait until it dries and brush the dirt off.

iainc

^^^^ yeah, but if it was clean it wouldn’t match your bikes Colin ! 🙂

sirromj

Got mudguards so don’t need to worry about mud on bag. But if I didn’t I’d use the rain cover so still wouldn’t need to worry about mud on bag. When it gets stinky wash it with warm water & washing powder in sink. Don’t fancy putting bag in machine as bag has stiff frame to allow airflow on back and not sure it’d fit anyway.

scotroutes

ainc – Member
    ^^^^ yeah, but if it was clean it wouldn’t match your bikes Colin !

Touché

ninfan
    Free Member

I think all my backpacks have been washed in the machine once or twice when they really needed it.

I always put them inside a mesh washing bag though

Phil_H

Mine goes in the washing machine when I can’t stand the smell any more.
    It just gets stuffed in with the rest of my kit.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve hand washed them in a sink or bath. Be careful what soap you use as some can mess up the coating on the nylon and render it non-waterproof.

matt_outandabout

My bike Vaude is 16 years old and I have never washed it – other than hose now and again and rain…

gavinpearce
    Free Member

Friend puts hers in the dishwasher… seems to work well!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You need a NY resolution Iain. Do something this year without asking all of us on here first…. 😆

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’ve put backpacks in a few times in the past, never noticed any ill effects and they’re usually pretty old by then anyway. I could believe that chucking your Camelbak in after every ride might not be very good for it though.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve been sticking camelbaks in the washing machine for over 20 years, never had an issue. It’s not a particularly technical material so no reason not to wash it.

rocketman
    Free Member

When the dried-on sweat makes the straps stiff enough to stand up on their own or I can’t open the zips because of the mud the rucksack has a meeting with mr washing machine

It goes in one of those mesh bags you get knee pads in

iainc

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    You need a NY resolution Iain. Do something this year without asking all of us on here first….

nah 🙂 where’s the lunchtime fun in that ? ….

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

😆

colin9

I’ve never washed mine. I wipe the mud off on the wet grass in the garden before I bring it inside and dry it on a hook. I see no benefit in it being spotless because I’ll make it filthy again a few days later.

gummikuh

Have washed my dakine before and my shoes (mavics and 5.10’s) go in sometimes.
    My thoughts are, if it doesn’t survive a wool wash in the machine, it was rubbish in the first place.
    This stuff will get dirty and smelly.
    Mesh bags are a good idea, and don’t wash it with your Mr’s smalls!

richmtb

I wash my Camelbaks occasionally in the machine and never had an issue. The bigger one that I use for commuting – a HAWG I think – is absolutely ancient and doesn’t seem to have suffered in anyway from the occasional machine wash

P-Jay
    Free Member

My Camelback Chaos is something like 2009 vintage, gets shown the washing machine every other ride it feels like in winter, it’s still alive – although not very water proof. The top pocket with the waterproof zip still works though. It’s housed 6 years worth of iPhones and such I haven’t drowned one yet.

I do plan to stick it in with my jacket if/when I try to re-proof it, but as my jackets are bright orange £25 ones from Mountain Whorehouse I’m more likely to just replace it.

fasthaggis

If you are bothered about it staying waterproof showerproof,just chuck all your precious stuff in a dry bag liner.
    I tend to buy bags for their shape rather than how waterproof the are.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

matt_outandabout – Member
    My bike Vaude is 16 years old and I have never washed it – other than hose now and again and rain…

Eh MattO&B, Yeah, about that… 😛

Have washed mine on occasion but no more than once or perhaps twice a year. Some of these fabrics recommend a proper wash from time to time, gets the grit out of the fabric and reduces wear.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Wash my Camelbak every couple of months. It’s never been particularly waterproof anyway, so precious things like phone etc, go into a sandwich bag first.

ajf
    Free Member

hell yes! Run and bike with mine, its also a commuting bag and used for mountain marathons and it also carries sweaty gym stuff. Without a regular proper clean it STINKS and makes my work stuff stink before I have even worn it!

Less fussed about mud on the outside, its what’s on the inside that makes me wash it!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Backpacks and washing machines – yay or nay ?’ is closed to new replies.