Backpacks and camera gear

• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by  DrJ.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Backpacks and camera gear
  • Kit

Any advice from hiker photographers here? I’ve been looking at the Lowepro Photosport 30 litre jobbie http://www.lowepro.com/photosport I like the idea of having a side pocket for easy access to a DSLR. I guess I’m looking for something that I can use for travelling (carry on luggage), but is nicely designed. The reviews are a bit mixed for that bag, similarly for the smaller Photosport 200AW.

What do you guys use?

wysiwyg

Dakine mission photo here.

Kit

Yeah, I’m not after a photo rucksack. More like a normal pack, which will take a camera. I know I can just buy a bag for the camera and use any backpack, but wondered how other folk did it.

Cheers anyway!

stumpy01

How about a chest harness and holster bag, then just use your normal backpack?

Thinktank do a good one:

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/digital-holsters/digital-holsters.aspx

CraigW

I don’t have a photo-specific rucksack.
    I use a Peak Design Capture Clip. This attaches to the rucksack strap, then the camera clips on to it. Very handy for quickly grabbing the camera to take a photo. Seems comfy for hiking, much better than having it swinging around on a neck strap.

I also have a small Lowepro case, for when I want to put the camera in the rucksack.

Kit

Hmmm, interesting ideas!

GregMay

Evoc Photo Scout here…. very, very nice.

jimbocube

Osprey escapist and the bottom pocket easily holds the DSLR. Great ruck sack as well

footflaps

but wondered how other folk did it.

I just shove mine in whatever bag I’m carrying.

jaymoid

Dakine mission photo here.

+1, and a lowepro fastpack 100AW for lighter trips

Check out the Kata 3N1 bags (now owned by Manfrotto) they’re awesome. Some have decent weather protection. Very expensive mind.

smashit

I’ve got a Photosport 200, and its great. Comfortable and stable. Room for DSLR and two lenses or zoom lens and a few accessories.

The Pro model you can remove the camera module which makes it better for ‘normal’ use.

The only thing is that the only organisation pocket is in the lid and I’ve cracked filter cases ducking under branches and resting the bike on top during hike-a-bikes!!

Oh, and the aluminium frame rod is great when hiking but the pack is far more comfortable/stable on the bike if you take it out, which is a matter of opening the velcro and sliding it out.

I have the fluro orange and tempted to get a black one for travel/everyday use.

stumpy01

jaymoid – Member

Check out the Kata 3N1 bags (now owned by Manfrotto) they’re awesome. Some have decent weather protection. Very expensive mind.

I’ve got a Kata 3N1 and am fairly disappointed with it, overall.
    I wanted a bag that was big enough to get all my camera gear in and use as hand luggage when i went on honeymoon, so could fit all the other paraphenalia in that went with it (water bottle, Kindle, magazine, playing cards etc.). And it was perfect for that.
    But, as an everyday photography bag it is not as good as it could be; it’s the actual photography specific bits of it that aren’t very good.

The velcro camera dividers are a bit too floppy, the compartment for SD cards/batteries is a bit of an afterthought, the waterproof cover just came loose inside it, with nowhere specific to store it.
    The Lowe Pro sling bag I’ve got was too small for me to use, but is much better thought out in terms of the camera/photo specific aspects of it.

Although, saying that….there is now a ‘pro’ version of the range, which is perhaps an improvement based on feedback from the original range?

jaymoid

Ah wow, thanks for the feedback Stumpy, that’s really interesting. I had seen a few kata bags in the flesh (although not 3N1), and was always impressed but never had the money – I would have considered/assumed all their stuff to be pro quality by default – especially at the price! The 3N1 looked to tick all the boxes for me but couldn’t justify the cost. I wonder if Manfrotto will improve matters now, I love their kit and always seems quality.

Agree with you on the LowePro Sling (I put I had a fastpack earlier but meant sling! too late to edit), it’s great – very well thought out and tough, and has much better pockets and options than my DaKine Mission (I even migrated the excess velcro bits from my lowepro as the da kine didnt have enough). I was struggling with it loaded up and just on one shoulder for any length of time though, considered the fastpack ones, but they just look really fugly.

stumpy01

jaymoid – Member
    Ah wow, thanks for the feedback Stumpy, that’s really interesting. I had seen a few kata bags in the flesh (although not 3N1), and was always impressed but never had the money – I would have considered/assumed all their stuff to be pro quality by default – especially at the price! The 3N1 looked to tick all the boxes for me but couldn’t justify the cost. I wonder if Manfrotto will improve matters now, I love their kit and always seems quality.

Agree with you on the LowePro Sling (I put I had a fastpack earlier but meant sling! too late to edit), it’s great – very well thought out and tough, and has much better pockets and options than my DaKine Mission (I even migrated the excess velcro bits from my lowepro as the da kine didnt have enough). I was struggling with it loaded up and just on one shoulder for any length of time though, considered the fastpack ones, but they just look really fugly.

Yeah, sounds a lot like my thinking behind the Kata. I couldn’t find any in the flesh to have a proper fiddle with and there were only a couple of online reviews. They generally rated it OK.
    I bought it thinking that Kata seem to know their stuff when it comes to photography gear (having fiddled with some of their bags at Focus on Imaging at the NEC a few yrs ago) but like I say, it was the photography specific aspects of it that weren’t so good.

I wouldn’t bank on Manfrotto improving matters with regards to Kata. I’ve got a Manfrotto camera messenger bag (Unica V), predominantly as a manbag for work but thinking I could empty it out if I wanted to use it for the camera at weekends. But again, the ideas are good, but the execution means it just misses the mark. Velcro dividers with hardly any range for movement, a stylish buckle that is a pain to use in real life, a ‘tripod’ compartment at the bottom that collapses when you put anything in the top section, a padded section on the strap that’s sown into the strap so you can’t adjust where it sits and the strap doesn’t have those rotating end connections so you are constantly having to untwiddle it.
    As a general work bag, it’s OK. But it’s far from perfect (and wasn’t cheap).

I like the Lowepro, but like you say….wearing it for extended lengths of time makes my back/shoulder ache.
    And it was no way going to be big enough for what I needed it for.

Am new to this site, though I’ve been ‘observing’ for ages.
    If I could strongly recommend the F-Stop range as the ideal camera bag.
    Depending on the size you want, they make from very small, to fit a point and shoot. To a huge sack that will take masses of pro gear.
    I have a Loka with medium ICU and have to say not only is it the best camera bag I’ve ever owned, but also the best made rucksack I’ve ever owned.
    They’re not cheap, intact verging on very expensive, but believe me they are better than anything else I’ve looked at
    You can import them from America, I was fortunate and got mine mailed to a hotel whilst on holiday. I think you can also get them mailed from Europe somewhere.

http://fstopgear.com/product

DrJ

Second the recommendation for f-stop, also – they are not sent from the US, they are shipped from a warehouse in Europe, so reasonable charges.

As for Kata – I cannot accept to buy them, on ideological grounds.
    “KATA was born in the (Israeli) defense world, an environment that sets the highest functionality standards. ”

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Backpacks and camera gear’ is closed to new replies.