Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Backing up the whole of iTunes???
  • Premier Icon sp
    Free Member

Are there any utilities that enable the entire backup of the whole of iTunes to include everything. Essentially a mirror image for the sake of total hardware failure. This could be in a compressed file to alleviate any piracy concerns?

Thanks

Premier Icon BoardinBob

So basically you want to backup your music?

2nd hardrive and some backup software

Premier Icon julianwilson
    Free Member

Mine is backed up onto several dvdr’s. This is a part of itunes software and you don’t need anything else to do it besides a cd burner. It takes a while but, once you’ve done it, it remembers what you have backed up and lets you put all the new stuff added since last backup on further discs.
    External HDD also works; I did this when my tiny hard drive on my laptop got all bunged up and i wiped it asnd reinstalled everything. Not sure what it does for stuff you bought from itunes store as i never buy anything from them!

Premier Icon sp
    Free Member

I don’t use it my self, a friend was under the impression that by coping the iTunes folder to a 2nd HD would enable him to drag n drop to a new HD and would be up and running with all his play lists and the like. I said I doubt that would work due to previous system registry entries. So yes the music is straightforward to sort but what about a archive and reinstall type backup?

Premier Icon tomzo
    Free Member

Hmmm, I would consolidate the library first. (in itunes go file-> library -> consolidate. Also, go to edit, preferences, advanced and select keep itunes folder organised. Then simply copy the itunes music file over to the external HD.

Premier Icon sp
    Free Member

julianwilson, I noticed this but looked like it would only work with Cd’s. Does it work with a ext hd then?

Premier Icon BoardinBob

Just copy the “itunes” folder that’s in your “My Music” folder

That contains all the library, playlist etc info

Premier Icon tomzo
    Free Member

to save playlists, ratings etc just go file-> export library. and it will creat a .xml file which contains that data. then simply impoort that to the new itunes

Premier Icon sp
    Free Member

Heck getting lost now, tired and one too many bears. Thanks, tomzo will pass this on to him.

Cheers all for the advice

Premier Icon bbAardvark
    Free Member

I back mine up to an external HD but I’ve also got CopyTrans (here) in case it all goes pear-shaped.

It’ll rebuild your iTunes from your iPod – well worth it for $20 and has saved me a couple of times when I’ve had to rebuild the PC as I’ve got about 60Gb of music on the sucker.

bbA

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Backing up the whole of iTunes???’ is closed to new replies.