Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Backing out of a job interview
  • Saccades
    Free Member

Does anyone have professional wording for turning down a job interview?

It’s for the hiring manager rather than HR/recruitment and I’m going around in circles (have worked for him before and I was initially excited to get the position but things have changed and I’m not interested).

My Google-fu isn’t working very well.

dogbone

“things have changed and I’m not interested”

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

Change the word “things” in your post, to “circumstances” and you’ve just about got it covered.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dyna-ti

“Change the word “things” in your post, to “circumstances”

And dont say Not Interested. Change that to unfortunately cannot take the position should it arise. Sorry for wasting your time..

argee

‘Due to my on-going trial, it would be unfair to have an interview at this time’

mboy
    Free Member

Something along the lines of “Thank you very much for the opportunity, but due to reasons beyond my control, I will not be able to consider the position should I be offered it currently, therefore will not be attending the interview. I felt it polite to let you know in a timely manner so as not to waste your time. Yours sincerely …..”

Or words to that effect… The less is more approach is better, nobody needs to know why you weren’t interested lest it should hinder any future opportunities that may arise, but be polite, and touch on it being for reasons out of your control, and any professional relationships should be maintained going forward at least.

seosamh77
    Free Member

bolt ya rocket.

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

Sorry for wasting your time. being a dick.

That’s what I always put. Saves any arguments

Coyote
    Free Member

Agree has it.

funkmasterp

I was initially excited to get the position but things have changed and I’m not interested

More formal version of that.

Would some of you really say due to circumstances beyond my control? Just sounds ridiculous and is obviously a massive lie. Earthquake, Kaiju invasion, hostage situation? Just be honest

argee

95-C928-EF-90-D6-43-AF-A276-F7106-C97-F4-D4

Onzadog
    Free Member

After having realised who my mistress is actually married to, it’s probably for the best that I don’t take a job under you.

Terribly sorry,
    Saccades.

lunge

I work in recruitment, the fact that you’re telling them in advance rather than just not showing for the interview is already more than many do.

However, I’d send something like:
    “Thanks for your interest in me for the position of ….
    After some thought I’ve decided not to pursue this opportunity any further.
    I wish you all the best in finding the right person”

footflaps

I love that cartoon.

🙂

mefty
    Free Member

“Whilst the prospect of working with you again is very enticing, I have reflected and come to the conclusion a move wouldn’t work for me at present. I will therefore not be attending the interview on etc and apologise for wasted effort.

All the best and I hope you find a good candidate.”

footflaps

Dear Sir/Madam,

After careful consideration, I have come to the conclusion that I just can’t be arsed to change job.

Yours sincerely,

etc etc

sirromj

the fact that you’re telling them in advance rather than just not showing for the interview is already more than than they’ll do to when you don’t get the job.

FTFY

matt_outandabout

I’ve pulled out of a job interview as they offered me the job.

It’s a two way thing – you’re interviewing them and the organisation too.

“My circumstances have changed and I am withdrawing from the recruitment process. I do hope you find a suitable candidate and thank you for considering me.

Luv n kisses”

FB-ATB

“ love & kisses” big no-no.

Use Boomshanka instead

northernmatt

I had to do this earlier this year. I’d got to the offer stage so well past interviews etc.

“Hi,
    Stuff has changed, thanks for the opportunity an that, you’re all lovely apart from the recruitment guy who was overbearing prick.
    Much love
    Matt”

How I wish I had actually sent them that and not the generic one much like all the suggestions above.

Saccades
    Free Member

Cheers all. There is a lot there to use.

@surromj funnily enough, I came 2nd (after 5 rounds of interviews) for this position about 4 months ago and even after chasing to see what was what, I heard nothing, was the recruiting manager getting back in touch for this additional position let me know.

I was keen 5 weeks ago when they got in touch, but since then I have been promoted internally into a whole new career during the time between contact and invited to interview (invite today, two additional interview rounds on Friday afternoon & morning, loads of notice…) and I’m just no longer interested.

Caher

The job I just started now I initially pulled out off. I had some doubts and with nothing to lose, I spoke to them again and expressed my doubts. As a result the location and responsibilities changed.
    Might not work for all.

johndoh
    Free Member

Dear Fascist Bully-boy…

timber

Interviews are a two way thing, I’m having a few currently and the next one lined up really needs to fit around me for it to work and will be clear about that in the interview.

In the fortunate position of being in a job already so can turn stuff down if it doesn’t improve my situation.

wordnumb
    Free Member

“Double the money and I’ll think about it.” Surely?

thols2

mrdestructo

Even being polite is not guaranteed to have them thinking nicely about you, but we do our best. I did do my best recently with an approach. Repeatedly.

I had a previous employer back in the UK trying to get me on a list for a temp job. They do special contracts, treat you as self-employed. You need special police checks for it (youth and adult workforce) and must have a verifiable background and understand the work environment (having grown up in it/worked in it), have specific education/training and experience.

Anyhow, I tried to politely tell the first contact that I would be unavailable (as on another continent) This went back and forth, then the HR manager got on to me and their written “voice” was quite snotty. There was no way I was coming back for 4-5 month’s work, giving up my relatively stable job, during times of covid where I would be unable to return to my job (country I’m in isn’t going to let me back in). Any other time, I “may” have been interested. I’m not taking it personally though.

MSP

I recently went for an interview for a job I really wanted, after not having had one for over 10 years, and it was a bit of a train wreck. I wish I had kept my hand in having an interview or two a year.

My advice now would be to have the interview, see what happens and, if if an offer is made, to turn it down politely later.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Sorry brah I just had 4 keys land and I need to cut it asap. I’ll do you a deal by way of compensation.
    Safe.

Olly
    Free Member

‘Due to my on-going trial, it would be unfair to have an interview at this time’

Ive realised that the range of my tag wont extend that far.

footflaps

My probation officer is just arranging day release for my interview….

oldtennisshoes

Are you **** mad? £11m quids worth of IT spend before the end of the financial year from a supplier that hasn’t yet got a contract? I think I’ll pass.

Is my paraphrased response following an interview at teh back end of last week 🙂

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Boomshanka

Dear Fascist Bully-boy…

Two Young Ones references shoe-horned into thread about paraphrasing.

Textbook STW.

Keep it up, team!

IdleJon

Two Young Ones references shoe-horned into thread about paraphrasing.

Neil:
    Oh, look, I know, I know, why not put “Boomshanka”?

Mike:
    Ahh… that’s hard to tell, Neil. What does it mean?

Neil:
    It means “May the seed of your loins be fruitful in the belly of your woman”.

Rick:
    Ah-ha! And WHAT makes you think your bank manager’s a man?

Neil:
    His beard.

Gets me every time! 😀

argee

footflaps
    My probation officer is just arranging day release for my interview….

I just need to confirm with him that this interview isn’t within 500 metres of a school?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Unfortunately the interview clashes with my surgery. If we could reschedule, please note I now identify as a kestrel.

Ca-caaaaaa.

bellerophon
    Free Member

Saccades
    Free Member
    Cheers all. There is a lot there to use.

@surromj funnily enough, I came 2nd (after 5 rounds of interviews)

You’ve more tenacity than me, I’d have lost interest after 3 interviews. I find 2 normally enough, but 5!!

ElShalimo

@Saccades – just say that given that they never followed up with you in a timely manner, you assumed they had selected a different candidate. Then say you’re happy in your new position and are not currently seeking new role

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Oh the position is for a Master Baker? Sorry , my mistake…

gingerflash

I think it might be best to give them a reason.

i pulled out of an interview a while ago. was very polite, saying that there had recently arisen a significant chance of major change in the business i was intending to leave, so out of loyalty to my current employer (over 10 years) and colleagues, i felt it appropriate that i stay and see how that change would pan out.

they were totally fine with that, was a reason they respected.

a little while later, the people i turned down bought my firm, so i get to work for them after all, without having to leave my nice colleagues and friends.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Backing out of a job interview’ is closed to new replies.