• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Background screen for video conferencing
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Anyone seriously considered this. My work desk is in my bedroom, which is a) my bedroom so is hardly professional and b) a mess. You can’t really tell that much from where my desk is, when I’m sitting down, but still not that happy about it.

There are no options to move the desk so I’m thinking a screen is the only option. But it feels a bit stupid, so can someone give me validation please? 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

90% of the time I don’t use the camera on me as I’m either presenting content or listening, in the past I’ve used a sheet hung up to cover bikes when my office was in the bike store

You could get a cheap projector screen but it would leave you with a white background.

Don’t forget the note for your desk to remind you to check you put trousers on before standing up 🙂

ads678

Big sheet with this printed on it.

wwaswas

Maybe something a bit different?

https://www.muralswallpaper.co.uk/app/uploads/clear-blue-underwater-underwater-room-825x535.jpg

These people do some decent mural wallpapers you could have added to a screen.

https://www.muralswallpaper.co.uk/
    I work at home, have an office in a converted bedroom and have always avoided video conferencing for that reason.

cloudnine
    Free Member

simon_g

A colleague does exactly that, but he has a messy storage thing behind his home office desk so attached a pull-down screen at the top to hide it all. I just rearranged things a bit so I had a plain wall behind my desk. You can get freestanding screens though quite cheaply that only take a few seconds to put up and pack away. Light is a bigger problem for home offices – easy to end up with way too much light behind & above so your face is in shadow and it looks like a hostage video. Definitely worth giving some thought to if you do a lot of video.

The background blur in Microsoft Teams makes this less of an issue for me now. I believe Zoom and consumer Skype do it too.

molgrips
    Free Member

Really a white backdrop is all I need.

You can get freestanding screens though quite cheaply that only take a few seconds to put up and pack away.

Got a link?

I’ve found very cheap photography studio backdrops (for some reason Amazon is awash with super cheap photography studio kit – can’t be that big a market surely) but they are the kind you have to roll out and peg to a stand. The kind that roll up themselves seem expensive.

Otherwise I’m buying a normal kitchen blind in a big size and screwing it to a piece of wood.

antigee

something arty – am i imagining it but wasn’t there a series of biscuit tins with flowery woodland scenes which if you looked carefully many a copulating couple could be spotted – commission something along those sort of lines?

edit Mick Hill is your man apparently

JoeG
    Free Member

wwaswas

Amazon is awash with super cheap photography studio kit – can’t be that big a market surely

Every online retailer and half of ebay users have this sort of kit now 🙂

beej

Does your VC software allow you to blur out the background?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Just wear your Captain America onesie.

No one will notice the background.

precutduck
    Free Member

Get a green screen, then your options are only limited by your imagination.

rone

Depending on how big a frame you need (can get expensive) Lasolite (And I’m sure some cheap knocks offs too) make collapsible back-drops.

The good ones will make your eyes water in price but you could get something similar.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/collapsible-backgrounds/

We use them for reflectors/chroma-key etc.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I have this on the wall behind my desk at work, 3m wide x 2.4m high

TiRed

Hang a sheet on a piece of string. The resolution won’t show the creases. For more impact use a duvet cover. My son’s Marvel for example.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Background screen for video conferencing’ is closed to new replies.