Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Background music – aaargh
  • aracer
    Free Member

Just watching this clip on the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/37730179

WTF do they need to have that background music? It’s probably just me because I’ve always had trouble following conversations in noisy places, but I’m really struggling to hear what is being said at points.

As a more generic point, does anybody else find this a problem? Doubtless something which has contributed to my issues with social situations, but in a noisy pub and especially one with background music it’s almost completely pointless for me trying to hold a conversation – yet I see other people around me apparently managing. Yes I have had my hearing tested a few times, and with a basic hearing test I appear to be normal.

DezB
    Free Member

I do often find myself noticing background music more than other people, but only when it’s something I don’t like. “Why are the playing this crap?”, “What?” “The music: Robbie effin Williams”, “Oh, didn’t notice”, “Sod it, I’m leaving!”
    That kinda thing.

globalti
    Free Member

Yes I find it a problem when entertaining overseas customers in noisy restaurants. Get onto BBC iplayer and listen to Radio 4’s PM programme at around 6.45 last night; they did a feature on exactly this problem. They concluded that hearing conversation in a noisy place gets harder as you age, not because your ears deteriorate but because your brain is less able to process the input and learn. They also concluded that shouting to make yourself heard doesn’t work and it’s better to speak more clearly and slowly.

aracer
    Free Member

I struggled when I was in my mid 20s 🙁

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Background music – aaargh’ is closed to new replies.