Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)
  • Backfiring cars – is this a ‘thing’?
  • GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Shame people still see cars as “fun” things to mess around with and not just devices to get from A to B, but that’s the way it is in this screwed up ol’ world.

Of course cars can be fun – to view them solely as a means of transportation is pretty depressing.

Hardly makes it a screwed up ‘ol world to think like that.  Hey, live a little 🙂

TheFlyingOx

Shame people still see cars as “fun” things to mess around with and not just devices to get from A to B, but that’s the way it is in this screwed up ol’ world.

Shame people see “food” as something to which flavour can be added, as an occasion to enjoy time with bourgeoisie “friends”, instead of just a means of providing sustenance to allow the individual to produce for the furtherment of the glorious Mother State.

jag61

Been wondering about this, do these cars have to get remapped to pass mot? and standard exhaust fitted then reset to ‘tosser’  after? do they have to inform insurers? lots of the ones near me seem to be gtd deisels make a hell of a noise and push out thick clouds of black smoke.  why would you want to make your car sound like its fkd,  blew an exhaust of a car years ago and drove for 2 hrs it was deafening and a bit shit but that on a daily basis no ta

DezB
    Free Member

to view them solely as a means of transportation is pretty depressing.

Hardly makes it a screwed up ‘ol world to think like that.  Hey, live a little

Cars are awesome, yep. The planet needs more and needs more fun ones. Can’t get enough of em. Let’s just turn everywhere into roads so people can have their fun.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Cars are awesome, yep. The planet needs more and needs more fun ones. Can’t get enough of em. Let’s just turn everywhere into roads so people can have their fun.

Bloody hell, you sound like a right barrel of laughs.

DezB
    Free Member

Just don’t get my kicks from cars. Sorry, I always forget I’m on pistonheads.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Just don’t get my kicks from cars. Sorry, I always forget I’m on pistonheads.

Don’t get me wrong – I’m not saying we need more cars/build more roads/kill polar bears, etc.  But driving can be both a means of transportation and fun at the same time.

plyphon
    Free Member

To be honest there is nothing more pleasing than the rumble, pops and bangs of a proper petrol engine. I think they sound magnificent.

Of course, seeing the stock Focus 1.4 Zetec with obnoxious exhaust language doesn’t quite have the same effect.

I say enjoy for the final few years it’ll be around – in the next 10/15/20 years we’ll all be on electric, if we’re still allowed to drive our own vehicles at all. (automation, transport-as-a-service).

Get it in now folks, it won’t be around in a few years.

ssbnreso
    Free Member

My Cooper S clubman does it as standard, has a ‘sport’ button which makes it do it more often.

1981miked
    Free Member

I agree with the above.

On a proper sports car or bike it sounds ace, I’m not a fan of the underpowered drone from bog standard corsa. Making all the noises but going nowhere.

Nothing wrong with being a petrol head.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Can I get that ‘Map for my Nissan NV400?

molgrips
    Free Member

Driving can be fun yes.  In theory.  I mean, actually moving a car around is good.  But there are so many downsides to trying to do it fast in most environments, it’s just not worth it.

As for the noise – it’s not really a pleasant noise, you just associate it with power and thrills.  In 100 years’ time when we’re all used to blistering performance from electric motors, we’ll be waxing lyrical over the whine of a motor and the smell of ozone, and people will wonder why anyone put up with the racket petrol cars make.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Slightly different (laborious) take on horns..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv8wqnk_TsA

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m somewhat ambivalent, the bloke who owns our village garage has a 1968 Dodge Challenger, with a sodding great ramcharger sticking out of the bonnet and it makes a rather appealing sound.  You can hear it being driven half a mile away, but it’s never driven outside of sociable hours so I’m more than happy that it exists.

On the other hand, we’ve a yoof in our village with some sort of tossermobile that is driven everywhere as though it’s on a qualifying lap.  I’ve no idea as to the make and model, as everything is obscured with badly fitted bodykits, spoilers and stickers.  It’s got the prerequisite farts, pops and pyrotechnics from the exhausts and I’d happily see it crushed.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

For those who aren’t top flight rally drivers it makes a good noise, exhaust flames and reduces the life of your exhaust and turbo significantly.

It also tends to melt spark plugs if you’re not very careful with it. I’ve a pal who just blew up his RS4 B5 650+bhp engine all because he missed a gear change whilst he was using the ‘flat shift’ feature….which works like anti-lag. Basically you can keep your foot hard on the accelerator pedal and then change gears as normal…the ECU recognises that you’ve hit the clutch so it kills the spark ignition but keeps fuelling the cylinders. If you don’t get a snappy gear change…there’s a huge amount of unburnt fuel in the system and it can all go horribly wrong.

Anti-lag…well the clue is in the name…it keeps turbo engines from dumping the boost between gear changes. Some like the sound of the piisstt between gear changes (that’s the boost being released) and some just like that continual flow of power between gear changes.

My motorbike can shoot flames a good 5 feet out of the exhaust. But if anyone else does it, they’re dicks

Like Northwind…my mid-life crisis S4 B5 also has anti-lag & flat shift tuned into the ECU so if you give it a bit of stick it makes lots of bangs, pops & flames. If you drive the car normally, it sounds like any other car.

When I’m driving it with all those noises it makes me feel like a real man…everyone else who does it, well they’re just tools.

DrP

Hmmm.. follows with interest….

So, as I’ve had my Pimp wagon* lowered** and new ‘shoes’ ***(that’s wheels, granddad) put on it, I should now get an aftermarket ‘exhaust popping kit’ I guess…

DrP

*Octavia 2.0 TDI. In Grey.

** This is true.

*** This is also true. I’m like a child with lots of money….

MrSmith
    Free Member

Bloody hell, you sound like a right barrel of laughs.

More fun than a ‘car person’ with their selfish attitude to the queens highway and other road users. Don’t get me wrong I think fast/beautiful/old/interesting cars are are great, but they are a nuisance when driven by cocks on the road. They have their place, the track. that way you drive like a tosser and nobody else suffers from your ignorance.

blouson rally jackets, manufacturer key fobs, names like ‘scooby Ben’ ‘RS John’ Cossie Mike’ M3 Dave’, and a log-in to PistonHeads. All the hallmarks of a car-cock.

The kind of blokes who’s idea of conversation is “so what do you drive?”  And thinking the answer somehow defines you.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

More fun than a ‘car person’ with their selfish attitude to the queens highway and other road users. Don’t get me wrong I think fast/beautiful/old/interesting cars are are great, but they are a nuisance when driven by cocks on the road. They have their place, the track. that way you drive like a tosser and nobody else suffers from your ignorance.

blouson rally jackets, manufacturer key fobs, names like ‘scooby Ben’ ‘RS John’ Cossie Mike’ M3 Dave’, and a log-in to PistonHeads. All the hallmarks of a car-cock.

The kind of blokes who’s idea of conversation is “so what do you drive?”  And thinking the answer somehow defines you.

I agree with what you say – my tongue in cheek reply was in response to cars can’t be fun.

Fun doesn’t mean fast – my most “fun” car was a clapped out 1964 Land Rover.  0-60?  It couldn’t reach 60 under its own steam unless aided by gravity.

And those who judge on the car you drive?  Well judge away as I really don’t care.

vincienup
    Free Member

…and there was I thinking there seemed to be a lot of people with poorly adjusted spark timing, overfuelling and burnt valves…

pondo

I understand that James Hunt in his retirement either cycled everywhere or drove an old A35, at least in part because he could drive it with entertaining verve without much fear for his licence. There was a man who gave zero f***s what anyone thought of him or his wheels – top man. 🙂

dovebiker

My mildly-tuned 74′ VW camper does it – 1641cc with twin Weber carbs – I wind the window down when driving through sleepy villages and lift-off the accelerator and it pops and bangs quite a lot. Startled a few biddies coming down the hill into Arundel yesterday.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

When the knob measuring goes a bit wrong

pondo

Ouchy – I guess the effect they were after was more like this;

mattyfez

It just means the engine is running rich . So it’s running a bad ecu map, or it’s done on purpose to sound loud.

Outside of professional racing it’s just fashion really.

mattyfez

A bit like when turbo dump valves were a thing, a really loud “PppppThssssss” after every gear change.

matt_outandabout
    CountZero

A bit like when turbo dump valves were a thing, a really loud “PppppThssssss” after every gear change.

And still is, with some people. I’m not sure what’s making the bangs, there’s a road past our site, with a roundabout a few yards away and other roads running into other parts of the estate, and I’ve seen a small open-top car going past at some speed which appears to cause the bangs, might be an old MX-5, but there are others doing it. I’ve not noticed it happening in Chippenham, oddly enough.

pondo

Did Matt, err… Just post an advert?

jamesoz

My car pops at certain revs and engine loads, it’s embarrassing/pleasing/childish.

Thing is the car is nearly as old as me so has a few foibles. It doesn’t get used much  as I only get 200 miles from 80 litres of Shells finest.

Noise wise it’s almost silent compared to the local lads on their peds.

mattyfez

Exhausts should sound like this

bikebouy
    Free Member

Antisocial noise pollution. Loud motorcycle exhausts are a similar problem.

This.

Any vehicle that sounds louder than a sparrow farting should be crushed as the owner watches on, then catches the bus home.

As for motorbikes revving like they’ve got rickets, crush them too except make em’ walk home.

MrSmith
    Free Member

And still is, with some people.

14 year old boys who still wet the bed?

timber

Our old 944 would if being pushed particularly hard.

The silver shed (Octavia) is just a bit loud due to weak standard Flexi joint and a lack of caution across fields and up forest tracks. Mostly weld currently, but still a gap somewhere. Stainless mid-pipe and back box could be quieter, but was cheapest option for the 4×4.

pondo

Exhausts should sound like this

TL:DL

prettygreenparrot

Shame people see “food” as something to which flavour can be added, as an occasion to enjoy time with bourgeoisie “friends”, instead of just a means of providing sustenance to allow the individual to produce for the furtherment of the glorious Mother State.

Nearly PMSL

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Christ you lot are old.

Where’s the under 50s forum.

samuelr
    Free Member

My old 1997 impreza sti type ra pops and bangs after a good few minutes of full boost. It was mapped to run a little bit rich high up the rev range to help cool the pistons. The removal of the cat helped as well. God I miss that car 330hp in a 1200kg ish car, not much could keep up with it.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Was a thing before but over the last year it seems to have gone really popular. Get a mix round my way, this being rich Surrey, of decent performance cars that are loud but sound nice and loads of really shit cars deliberate backfiring and attempting to wheel spin and donut at the junction down the road.

Last time we went through this it went away, maybe because the cars fell apart or the kids got locked up. Seemed to coincide with the police helicopter not frequenting the nearby estate so much.

breadcrumb

I’m pretty sure it’s standard feature on hot hatches now.

Back in the day my little AX would do it on a down shift with a throttle blip, young and didn’t know better I guess!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Backfiring cars – is this a ‘thing’?’ is closed to new replies.