Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Back to work, which folding bike?
  • jimbobrighton
    Free Member

Got a job (yay me!) after 6 weeks of being gainfully unemployed – have to admit the time off has actually been really rather pleasant – the longest break from a job in 18 years. Anyways, it’s a great gig, and as such I’ve agreed to a couple of days a week in London.

So, is it a straightforward decision – Brompton? Or does anyone have any other recommendations? I used to have a mezzo, which I really liked, but also like the look of Tern, and the fact they are cheap! Chief priorities are:

Folding size
    Minimal maintenance
    Hub gears.

No hills where I live, and none on the london side of my regular commute.

My gut is to go brompton, but I’m always open to options….

Also, if it is a brompton – has anyone gone for the dynamo hubs or just regular lights – I’ve heard reports the wires for the dynamo get tired after lots of folding….

What’s the wisdom?

bencooper
    Free Member

Yes, has to be a Brompton for that kind of use. The dynamo wires do wear out eventually, but it takes several years at least for that to happen, and not hard to swap them.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Terms etc flex like buggery

simon_g

Brompton.

Not sure I’d bother with the dynamo unless you’re really averse to charging lights or swapping batteries occasionally. Knog-type lights weigh virtually nothing, last ages, many charge off USB and give plenty of warning that they’re getting low.

colande
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/buying-a-brompton-options

Lots of good info about brompton buying here.
    Bromptons are brilliant, not cheap but are extremely well built.
    Dynamo is really useful, if you’ve not had dynamo before then it’s a revelation. Lighting becomes a non-issue. You grab your bike like it’s summer, not having to think did I pack my lights.
    It’s not for everyone because retro fitting dynamo is expensive but if you are sourcing one I’d recommend it.
    Have you looked on welovebromptons website? That’s where I got mine from.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

why do you need gears if there are no hills – you could get a dahon uno or a 2 speed brompton for simplicity.

Bromptons are a must if need really small otherwise many of the other folders ride a lot better – so make sure you have a test ride.

shermer75
    Free Member

Instead of getting a dynamo I just left my lights on the Brompton. You carry it around with you anyway, so why not?

shermer75
    Free Member

I also got the two speed, it saves a lot of weight

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You already know the answer!

(And it’s not thta Mezzo you used to tool around on!)

Just spotted your email. Reply incoming shortly! Congratulations.

DaveRambo

I had a similar decision (that didn’t actually come off but I did the research) a couple of years ago now.

Brompton – 2 gears because there are no hills (1 would do but 2 makes it faster)
    Marathon tyres – because you don’t want a puncture.
    Simple mudguards – because you will ride when it’s wet if it’s a commute
    rechargeable separate lights – as you don’t need them all the time
    I also specced a bag that clips to the front

I was tempted by the Ti option for weight – Hardest part is deciding on the colour

Simple choice 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

Though you know if you’re getting a Brompton, fancier ones are available:

😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Back to work, which folding bike?’ is closed to new replies.