Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Back to the future, Sausage content
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

When we were primary school kids, my brother, sister and I, would spend our summer holidays out on our bikes on random rides which would always include a sausage sizzle. We’d pack a frying pan, tea leaves and milk in a jam jar.

I just did it again for the first time in nearly forty years. The sausages were just as delicious. It will feature on future rides.

mountainman

Absoulutly “support the British Banger”

Lets start trend .

chvck
    Free Member

I do rather like this idea.

tomhoward

What sausage for (insert trail centre here)?

passtherizla
    Free Member

I’ve had some off looks over they years cooking up bacon and eggs in trail centre car parks on my trusty gas stove. It’s always better than the trail centre nosh and I bring cake 🙂

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Breakfast or dinner sausages though?

gusamc
    Free Member

yuppie – we used to do bangers on a small branch and hold them over the fire – more skilled than you think, can also do marshmallows, spuds in silver foil in embers ditto nanas and smarties for afters, you can also do tins of beans in the embers and get really irate when they fall over and get ash in them,

timidwheeler

Love it, love it, love it. 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

Anyone recomend a good banger then ? Yet to have a good one from a supermarket

Our local butcher is terrible at them – despite being a master of the black puddin keeps adding random crap – needs to get the basic sausage right first imo. My old local did a good line in sausages of all kinds including a most excellent steak sausage! ( and no i dont mean just beef sausages)

Had some breakfast cumberlands over the holidays at a friends who shares my hatred of cheap sausages…. They were most excellent but her local butcher supplied them and thats no where near me.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Whoop hooooooo!!

Sausages.. Sausages, sausages, more sausages.

I have no idea what Man would have turned out like had Sausages not been invented. 8)

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Bodnant Welsh Food Centre do the best sausages IMO Miles the butcher has even shown a group of us how he makes them we were the treated by the chefs to a sausage cooking master class then the best bit we ate them.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Need to be cooked low n slow for a nicely caramelised, sticky outer. Mmmmmm.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Terry, next time you’re in Edinburgh, make sure and pay crombies a visit, in broughton street, brilliant links. My local butcher in prestwick makes lovely sausages, pork and garlic one is awesome. Beef links are also great, nice and peppery.

Lovely on a wee BBQ for a camping brekkie, in a brioche with Tom sauce.

singlespeedstu

I recon any ride could be improved just by adding extra sausage to it. 😀

kcr
    Free Member

One of my club mates brought his Primus with him when spectating at the National Hill Climb Champs. Nothing like the smell of a full English breakfast cooking at the roadside as you are struggling to race up a 1:5…

boxfish
    Free Member
    metalheart
    Free Member

@Trailrat: Ingrams of Newburgh.

You can find them at the local Saturday ‘farmers markets’ in Stonehaven, Banchory, Inverurie & Belmont St (last Saturday of the month). Plain pork ones are the best…

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I forgot the marshmallows. We used to remove the core from an apple and stuff it with brown sugar, cinamon and raisins then wrap it in foil and bake it in the embers. I’ll add that to my ‘to take’ next time list too.

toyrobot
    Free Member

Would it be dull to say that even though I LOVE the thought of bangers when out biking, your fire looks like it’ll leave a right horrible mess behind. I was always taught that a good outdoor fire is one that leaves no mess or obvious evidence behind.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

your fire looks like it’ll leave a right horrible mess behind.

Fear not, my boy scout training let the embers burn away, I doused what was left of them,then recovered the site with pine needles. No one would know I’d been there.

I’ve cursed at enough chavvy backwoods fire sites surrounded by litter and beer cans to fall foul of that criticism.

toyrobot
    Free Member

Then bangers it is. Good call!

gusamc
    Free Member

smiling, you’ve just reminded me of caramac apples, take one mum, small child, pan, knife and apples and a short stick. Melt chocolate, add extra holes to apple, fill holes and cover apple with caramac, bung stick in end, shout at child about getting burnt, wait for a while, mmmmmmmmmm. I was also allowed to tke jaffa cakes, turn them upside down, butter and strawberry jam.

_tom_
    Free Member

Anyone recomend a good banger then ? Yet to have a good one from a supermarket

I like the sainsburys ones with mustard in them.

Kip

Wally Dutton in Kelsall. The best sausages ever…FACT!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Good call on Crombies nobeerinthefrdge, I’m in Edinburgh tomorrow, any recommendations?

notlocal
    Free Member

@trailrat. Sheridans in Ballater do a good selection of bangers. Their jumbo pork sausages are epic, as are the beef and black pudding.
    *runs to the butcher for tonights tea*

birky
    Free Member

Stoner
    Free Member

have been fruitlessly trying to find my photo of us cooking bangers on a trenching shovel over a fire.

Hmmmmm, cementitious. 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

“@trailrat. Sheridans in Ballater do a good selection of bangers. Their jumbo pork sausages are epic, as are the beef and black pudding.
    *runs to the butcher for tonights tea* “

sounds like next weekends road ride is planned…. best fit the carradice – if i take the whisperlite will any of the sausages make it back to culter ?

bigG
    Free Member

Skinners of Kippen FTW, best sausages ever ( they have medals to prove it).

tomaso
    Free Member

I’m jealous that your childhood included banger cooking. I could only get away with a tin of beans a couple of slices of bread, but any food cooked outside in the woods on a fire tastes better!

righog
    Free Member

Do you think racing sausages would work ? Pre..cook then warm up ( finish off ) on the ride.

sparkyrhino

top work, fellow snag scoffer.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Supermarket wise:

Debbie and Andrews Harrogate sausages
    Porkinson Bangers
    and Sainsbury ultimate outdoor reared sausages

are the best supermarket ones I’ve had

ourmaninthenorth

I had sausages for dinner last night (and a pair of leftovers* cold with my lunch today). Deeeeeeelicious.

*Nothing of the sort. I bought more than we needed for dinner, just about managed to stop myself eating them last night and enjoyed every mouthful for lunch. All made by the butcher across the road from my house. Yum!

flowerpower
    Free Member

No bikes this time… but our Christmas Eve sausages in the rain 🙂

mountainman

and Sainsbury ultimate outdoor reared sausages

Conjours up visions of fields full of sausages grazing freely.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Back to the future, Sausage content’ is closed to new replies.