Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Back to (motor)biking!
  • scotroutes

Due to circumstances, including the difficulty or parking my van at work, I’m considering the purchase of a 2nd hand motorbike. Initially, this would be for this summer/autumn. My commute is around 30 miles each way, on fast trunk road.

I last owned a motorbike some 25 years ago, so it’ll be quite a shock to the system.

I’m currently thinking of something in the 500-650cc bracket.

Also thinking it would be good to hire one somewhere for a familiarisation session, possibly some sort of training day.

Now then;

SV650 looks like a fairly common, decently sized bike with some weather protection. Quite a few about too. Assuming I buy something with an MOT through to November/December, this looks like a safe bet. Any other stand-outs I should consider?

Clothing seems to have moved on a bit. I usually wore jeans and a leather jacket but it’s all man-made fibres these days. Anything to watch out for? I’m not in it for a fashion shoot, just want to arrive dry and warm. Aldi are currently selling motorbike gear, will this be OK?

Any other hints and tips for a (yet to be) born-again biker?

TIA

MrSparkle

In the same, er, boat. Just been pricing up for a refresher course. £140 for the day.
    Also looking at SV650 or a M600 Ducati monster.

allthegear
    Free Member

Absolutely yes to getting a day, at least, to re-learn.

As far as a bike is concerned, if you are using it for commuting, surely something with a fair bit of weather protection is the thing? Maybe even an old BMW 1200RT would be good?

Seriously uncool but who cares?

Rachel

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scotroutes

Yeah – it doesn’t have to be at all cool (though who knows what a little re-exposure to m/cycling could lead to 🙂 )

Cougar

I’d concur with your leanings.

Clothing wise, I got a leather jacket and a synthetic (long story). Against my instincts, the synthetic was better in every way.

shifter
    Free Member

Training? Pfff. It’s like riding a bike.

martymac

http://forums.sv650.org/

Refresher course good idea.
    Sv is a good shout, they can be had pretty cheaply with a complete mot and are decent enough.
    Enjoy!

metalheart
    Free Member

The Gladius version of the SV, nice engine and fast enough for your purposes. Be about the right size (height wise I mean) for you (it’s too small for me). Or a honda CB500X. Or one of them 1/2 a Jazz NC700 jobbies (popular in these parts, economical).

Don’t get a lumbering 1200 Beemer beast, it’ll be harder to pick up when you drop it trying to manoeuvre it about… Plus they will all in be in the Snecky coz that’s where adventure bikes fully laden congregate of a summer… Like homing pigeons 😉

weeksy

I’m going for the old recommend what you own

This was yesterday out cruising the B roads at 65mpg 🙂

these were Silverstone GP last Weds getting 60mpg 🙂

I’m blaming the fact it was never fully dry as justification for my lack of elbow down pics

bazzer
    Free Member

Triumph Street Triple. Great for getting back into it and great once you are back into it. I still miss mine, even with the Tuono, RSV4 and S1000XR in the garage !!!

Street is super easy to ride, light little bit of torque so gear selection is not so critical. They look great too which is a bonus.

I did commuting, touring and trackdays on mine.

Bazzer

tjagain

YOu thought about a mega scooter? Fast enough for the A9, weather protection, comfy. Burgman or something of similar ilk

Marge
    Free Member

the mega scooter suggestion (however uncomfortable I feel about the idea) is actually quite a good one….

I see more & more of these things on my commute. The riders look comfortable, warm & dry in comparison to me on my K1200R.

If its any help – I can definitely say the K1200R is not a great commuter. 😉

benp1

30 miles is quite far. I’d probably want a fairing for that

Personally I prefer leather jacket with a waterproof over the top when required, that was for all year commuting. But I live in the South where it doesn’t rain so much

Used to wear textile trousers or Kevlar jeans for commuting

scotroutes

Scootery thinge is an option, just a lot fewer of them. I’m thinking about spending £2k or so on the bike. Of course, I go onto Gumtree and one of the first things that jumps out at me is a white Multistrada…

Is the Aldi clothing worth a look at or am I likely to find other new stuff at similar prices, or even look at second hand clothing (is that a thing?)

smokey_jo

MCN reviewed the adli gear here

RustySpanner

I like the big scooters too, but they’re still relatively expensive secondhand.

Plenty of Burgmen(?) 400 about,
    but the Honda Silverwing seems a bit more capable for similar money.
    And it’s a Honda, innit?

Tempted by a cheap Piaggio X9 for commuting.

The T Max and Burgman 650 seem to be either immaculate and pricey or battered by couriers and winter commuters.

Still fancy an early Fazer, but doubt it would get used enough.

peterno51

I have had a NC700 for three years and even on my pissy little commute I would like more elemental protection that a big scooter would give.

I was looking at big scooters, having had a Fazer and a little scooter previously, but they were all a bit spendy (i.e. a chunk more) at the time for comparable performance/usability against the NC. The previous small scooter had a massive space under the seat for Stuff, the bigger scooters not so much because of the bigger engine getting in the way. I found the the NC700 had more space in a fake airbox/trunk thing which is really handy.

NC has been a doddle to own, nothing broke apart from when some **** tried to nick it when I didn’t put the chain on. Really easy to ride, especially in traffic, fast enough.

I can heartily recommend an Almax chain for keeping whatever you might get in its proper place.
    http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/

I have a textile (£120) jacket (Weise) and £100 trousers (Triumph) with some form of armour and some short Prexport boots (£80). The disproportionate spend was on some Gerbing heated gloves (~£130) which transformed the winter commute, I cannot underplay the difference they made.

Peter.

epicsteve
    Free Member

The Honda Deauville is a better commuting option than an SV650. I had one as my commuter for 10 years – not the most exciting bike in the world but good weather protection, built in luggage, shaft-drive and very, very comfortable. I doubt there is a better mid-size option for a 30 mile all-weather A-road commute.

For clothing the Heine Gericke all-weather stuff is great and Altberg boots are the best.

alexxx
    Free Member

I’ve got a mint sv650 that I’ll be selling when I get around to it due to funding a camper van conversion!

It’s around £2750 – send me a pm if you’re interested. It’s red and awesome!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Aldi clothing is good.
    I’d get textiles for commuting. And heated grips or underpants or whatever.

kayla1
    Free Member

Honda CB500- cheap, fun and cheap. And they’re cheap.

Northwind

I am biased, but, SV650S is very good for this. Fun to ride without being stupidly powerful, reasonable fairing (stick a double bubble on it though), bombproof tough (the paint/build quality is iffy but where it counts they’re indestructible- I threw mine down the back straight at knockhill at 90mph then rode it home) Endless tweaks available if you choose. It’s not the Ultimate Commuter by a long way but if you want one that’s also a proper bike then it’s good.

The old carbie ones (98-2002, the nice curvy ones) cost nothing these days but they’re getting a bit old and they do carb ice. The fuel injected, pointy version probably makes more sense.

And yep SV650.org is quieter than it was but still ace. (watch out for the scottish section, it’s full of savages and reprobates and moderated by some tosser, I forget the name, Northsomethingorother.)

Veestrom and Kawasaki Eeyore also in a pretty similar vein.

alexxx – Member

I’ve got a mint sv650 that I’ll be selling

I’ve got one that’s a total ****ing basket case, any use?

allfankledup

CBR600 or similar – can be an absolute pussy cat, but has a loud setting as well.

themilo
    Free Member

I’ll short list it for you:

At your budget:

Vstrom 650
    kwaka versys
    Cbf600
    Dullville if you must
    Fazer
    Bandit

Same shopping list as me currently.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I like the big scooters too, but they’re still relatively expensive secondhand.

I do too. I’ve had a couple of smaller ones (Gilera Runner 180, Vespa GT200) so I tried a Piaggio X10
    Fantastic for general A-road stuff, pooling around, brilliant 2-up, very practical, ABS, traction control, trip computer, big screen, loads of storage, great weather protection….
    But it was jeffing useless on the motorway or in traffic.
    Wheels too small over any poor surfaces (Think down the while lines when filtering) and it wandered and crashed about all over the place. And just to long and low to nip through smaller gaps.
    In traffic a smaller scoot would slay it, and my current NC700x would also leave it for dead – higher up, bigger wheels, shorter, easier to throw around.
    For town use I’d have another Vespa like a shot, but if I wanted the ease of use of a bigger scoot again I’d get the DCT version of my NC, or a Crosrunner, or an Africa Twin.

rickmeister

If its aviemore to Inverness…. A9 cruising all the way, speeding not an option really is it.
    Zzr 600 and a rack on the back. North face bag for clothes
    Use walking boots and get a good one piece waterproof suit from Aldi
    Don’t buy leathers, synthetics or anything special. Just wear warm stuff under the over suit.
    That’s it… Did me for 93k on a zzr 1100

Merak

I’m selling my GSXF650 at the moment. 5k miles. FSH immaculate condition, etc. In Glasgow, come have a look. You don’t want a scooter for the reasons eloquently put above.

scotroutes

I might have found a good refresher course with a hire bike thrown in. £60 for two hours/ £80 for three. If I can line that up quickly then it’ll help me decide if this is for real. 🙂

Thankfully, I’m too old for a MLC.

scotroutes

Refresher course is on Saturday.

Getting excited and trying to keep it all rational.

Also trying to avoid looking at that Ducati Multistrada…..

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

trying to keep it all rational.

Good luck with that! 😆

metalheart
    Free Member

A mate had a multistrada….

It was a complete mare, was back at the shop more than he rode it. He got his money back and bought a Griso instead….

scotroutes

As luck would have it, a good friend was thinking of selling her SV650. Some appropriate clothing bought, I headed down to Edinburgh to pick it up yesterday.

I like the v-twin, but I’d forgotten about wind noise. Earplugs are my next purchase!

perchypanther
    Free Member

Houns

Can’t get used to you clean shaven. I prefer the stubble (rash 😛 )

rp16v
    Free Member

yay another sv owner i have one myself
    curvy was a s but have done a n conversion and ditched the fairings for risers and twin spots i use it as my commuter,weekend toy and its great fun
    some find the seat a little harsh on long runs but seems ok to me.

nedrapier

nice bike, colin!

pp – 😀

Dickyboy

SV’s are great bikes, borrowed one for a road trip to Belgium and another track day bike for a blast at RAF Benson – great choice

boblo
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    As luck would have it, a good friend was thinking of selling her SV650. Some appropriate clothing bought, I headed down to Edinburgh to pick it up yesterday.

I like the v-twin, but I’d forgotten about wind noise. Earplugs are my next purchase!

Could you look any more camp? ‘Welcome to gay motorcycle world, the vibier the betterer…’ 🙂

tootallpaul

I passed my Module 1 today!

BadlyWiredDog

Don’t buy leathers, synthetics or anything special. Just wear warm stuff under the over suit.

And remember not to crash… 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Back to (motor)biking!’ is closed to new replies.