Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Back to Exposure Lights: Stem mount
  • mrmoofo

I have just bought a Six Pack. And stem mount.

My intention was to have the light underslung below the bars to protect the light if I stack it. Howmever is absolutely no way that you can have it underslung – and then mount the light!! The maximum amount of spacers still leave you about 8 mm short.
    Cotic Flare Max with a 40mm stem BTW

Anyone succeeded ?
    And how?

simon_g

Yeah, I’m not sure how you’d manage that, clearing the stem (and head tube if you run a short stem) and still have the light pointing downwards.

I have it above and happy with the stem mount, no concerns about crashability.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Has anyone actually broken one having it above…..

Surely the bracket would fail first.

12 years of a maxx d above the bars without breakage here.

steve_b77
    Free Member

You’d do very well, they’re pretty solid lumps of machined aluminium.

I can get a Maxx-d under the stem on my gravel bike (90mm stem) but no chance on my MTB (70mm stem)

mrmoofo

My guess would be you need a 70mm stem or above – so as all of you feel that works well, I will leave it mounted there.
    Thanks

appltn

I stacked directly onto my bar mounted magicshine the other day. It popped off the mount and the mount bent horribly but the light was unscathed.

MoreCashThanDash

I have it above and happy with the stem mount, no concerns about crashability.

Plus 1

Daffy

I’d just mount it on the supplied bracket, inverted, under the bars slightly off to one side. Why buy an extra mount?

Burchy1
    Free Member

Surely the bracket would fail first.

It does.

intheborders
    Free Member

I’d have thought that under the stem, if you’ve the length) that the first time the bars go all the way around it’ll rip off the light and/or damage the top tube – could be wrong.

FWIW in 10 years of using a Toro and a standard Exposure bar mount, never had an issue.

bentudder

You might also want to think about cast. One reason most people ride offroad with a helmet light as well as a bar light is that when a light is closer to the ground, shadows from obstacles are longer / bigger. Ideally you want a light fairly high up. Typically you see under bar set ups on road bikes, where there’s less in the way of uneven terrain and a big shadow is actually useful for avoiding stuff.

Oh, and as above – I’ve been riding off road for about 25 years pretty regularly, and I’ve crashed a couple of times where the light has been in the way. A couple of scratches on anodising (Lumicycle) or broken lenses (Halfrods D cell halogen monstrosities in about 1994/5) and that’s it. Top mount your light, enjoy your ride. 🙂

mrmoofo

I have concerns about the safety of helmet lights. After an acquaintance’s accident and Mr Schumacher’s I am not convinced that a light on you helmet is good thing …

andrewh
    Free Member

Mount yes.
    Light, no. Or at least not like that.

potiriadis
    Free Member

Have you looked at Go-Pro Mounts. Exposure have what they call an action camera adapter for the big lights. There are then several options for adapters that fix to your stem face plate, to out front garmin mounts with underslung action camera mounts.

cheekyget
    Free Member

Don’t know if this is what your after..but I got a garmin mount off ebay that attaches via the two top stem bolt…and with it ate various attachments for go pro etc…..I use a banded mount that fits my exposure flare front light…its on my road bike so not sure if it’s what your looking for

bentudder

I have concerns about the safety of helmet lights. After an acquaintance’s accident and Mr Schumacher’s I am not convinced that a light on you helmet is good thing …

Yep. I’ve been really impressed with the mount that goes on my Endura Singletrack 2 lid. Really easy snap on / off action which makes it straightforward to fit a light when I’m off out for a night ride. I’ve clipped it against a couple of tree branches since I got the lid last summer, and in both cases it’s popped off without damaging the light or the helmet. Worth taking a look – it’s a clever bit of kit and I’m sure Endura is not the only manufacturer doing it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

have concerns about the safety of helmet lights. After an acquaintance’s accident and Mr Schumacher’s I am not convinced that a light on you helmet is good thing …

Exposure mount will pop out on impact…..ok there are lots of people on here who see this as a bad thing but for the reasons you stipulate it’s a good thing.

And yes it seems that I was right the bar mount would be a weak point.

intheborders
    Free Member

After an acquaintance’s accident and Mr Schumacher’s I am not convinced that a light on you helmet is good thing …

If you ride offroad with only a bar light you’ll be either going very slow or falling off a lot.

FWIW I bought a new Exposure bar mount and they changed them. Now is a 2-part unit and the bolt screws in from the top. Easy-Peasy.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Back to Exposure Lights: Stem mount’ is closed to new replies.