Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Back to coil
  • jedi

I’m loving my new cane creek dB coil. It’s been over 10yrs since I rode a coil and it feels amazing. Also I have the yari up cartridge in my fork. Loving the adjustability. My bike feels like ridinga Cloud

johnw1984
    Free Member

Looks really good with the coil too! Still have to wait till the weekend to try mine 🙂

sam_underhill

New progressive springs from cane creek are going to open up the coil options now.

Mbnut
    Free Member

No air in ‘ere…. all coil now and loving it.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Yeah I saw the new progressive spring too. The white would look stunning on mine hehe 🙂

qtip

New progressive springs from cane creek are going to open up the coil options now.

What’s the advantage of a progressive coil spring over an air shock?

nickc

Sounds like it could be the best of both worlds? The sensitivity and fit and forget-ness of a coil, and the “ramp-up” of an air to give that bottomless feel.

kiksy
    Free Member

If your bikes linkage design is linear, a progressive spring will ramp up as it goes through travel so it doesn’t bottom out all the time

transition1
    Free Member

You need to drop a Smashpot conversion in the forks to go with the rear shock

Kamakazie

MRP have been offering them for a while, but they are a bit pricey so the CC ones are likely to sell better.

chiefgrooveguru

There’s this too – not progressive but adjustable rate:

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/sprindex-adjustable-rate-coil-spring-first-look.html

RicB

Agree with you Jedi- best upgrade to my mtb since dropper posts came out. I knew it would make the bike better on the downs but I was really surprised how much better on the flat/berms and climbs it is.

qtip

If your bikes linkage design is linear, a progressive spring will ramp up as it goes through travel so it doesn’t bottom out all the time

I get that. I just don’t see why that is better than an air shock which is naturally progressive (and can be tuned to be more/less progressive to some degree).

VanHalen

the supplenes of a coil is waaay better than an air can. therefore tracking, grip etc are all better.

honourablegeorge

qtip

I get that. I just don’t see why that is better than an air shock which is naturally progressive (and can be tuned to be more/less progressive to some degree).

It just allows a coil shock to be used on a bike that’s designed for a progressive shock, if you used a normal coil on the same bike you’d bottom out too much.

Coils are less tunable, and heavier, but if they’re set up right for your weight, and work with your bike, then they perform better in almost every way

greeny30
    Free Member

I was running a db coil in 2013/2015 with ti spring, no other shock as come close since, giving it some serious thought myself.

andyrm
    Free Member

Coil front and rear on my Stumpy Evo and honestly couldn’t go back now. Rode a friend’s Stumpy Evo back to back with mine a couple of weeks ago, he’s still on the standard Fox air both ends and it’s nowhere near as stable or composed feeling. Thing I notice most is the speed of response to small stutter bumps, roots etc.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Back to coil’ is closed to new replies.