Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Back to BMX in 40’s?
  • kerley
    Free Member

Yep and when broken/damaged bodies means time off work, longer healing time etc,. it is not quite the fun it was when 16 years old.

BruceWee

I went to the local big general sports shop looking for tents so that the family can go camping. I didn’t find a tent I liked but on the way out I noticed a GT Slammer with 25% off. It would have been rude not to.

I got into trouble from the missus when I got home.

Anyway, my first question, is the front brake supposed to work? It’s a caliper type that’s routed through the top cap. Pulling it as hard as I can doesn’t really slow me down. The rear brake is a u-brake which seems to work a bit better.

I thought that it was just on there because it was a legal requirement for it to be sold but the fact they routed it so that you could do bar spins makes me think it’s supposed to actually work. I wonder if it’s just cheap crappy pads?

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

Just take the front brake off. They only put them so they’re road legal at point of sale.

BruceWee

Just take the front brake off. They only put them so they’re road legal at point of sale.

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. I was just surprised they went to the trouble of routing the cable that way if they expected everyone to just take it off.

b230ftw
    Free Member

I remember back in the day my first BMX didn’t have 990 mounts on so I bought an ACS Boa which had been modified with cartridge bearings and a 10mm mount – some company in the UK modified the stock ones. Worked really well but I upgraded to 990 mount forks.

Man I wish I had my old bike back. ☹️

It was a We The People Pony – 19” TT and super short rear end.
    Custom machined Standard Byke stem flipped to get as low a front end as possible.
    S&M Castillo bars, later on I had Odyssey Milk bars.
    Odyssey heat treated forks with 990 mounts
    Profile race cranks with race spider to fit smaller cog on.
    Primo Steroid Seat
    Front G-sport hub on peregrine super pro rim
    Rear rim can’t remember but it was on a Static Freecoaster (SA coaster hub modified with a welded shell) with a Standard Byke heat treated axle and Graveyard 12t stainless cog welded on.
    Primo V Monster tyres (obvs!!)
    T1 rear alloy with steel sleeve pegs (so I could grind) – front pegs were standard Byke a huge grenade pegs in alloy to stand on!!
    Custom cable splitter for rear brake with gyro.
    990 brakes front and rear with pads which meant they worked amazingly well.

Was my perfect street/park/flatland bike. I have a pic somewhere. I’ll try and dig it out.

Edit

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

sirromj

Yep and when broken/damaged bodies means time off work, longer healing time etc,. it is not quite the fun it was when 16 years old.

With age comes wisdom. We dont need to impress anyone. We can put or egos aside and master the basics before progressing to riskier riding.

Stevet1
    Free Member

@b230ftw – love that build, classic mid school. I used to run milk bars as well, something like 25″ wide – how did we ever cope?

b230ftw
    Free Member

I wouldn’t want massive bars now anyway. I have really short arms and legs so needed everything low and narrow to even try any flatland stuff.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I bought an ACS Boa which had been modified with cartridge bearings and a 10mm mount – some company in the UK modified the stock ones.

That company was just Rob Ridge. Still ripping it now and one of the best in World at what he does.

b230ftw
    Free Member

That company was just Rob Ridge. Still ripping it now and one of the best in World at what he does.

I had forgotten that, thanks! I do still watch his videos.

bigdean

Yep and when broken/damaged bodies means time off work, longer healing time etc,.

It’s a supported fracture so no cast and still at work. 6 weeks till i can ride or swim.

That company was just Rob Ridge. Still ripping it now and one of the best in World at what he does

I sold him some titanium pegs I made some years ago. Commented on both our ages when I linked the name to my reaction boa.

oikeith

I wouldn’t want massive bars now anyway. I have really short arms and legs so needed everything low and narrow to even try any flatland stuff.

I used to rock Castillo Bar (really cutdown) and a S&M Redneck, now rocking a lovely profile toploader and 9 inch bars with nothing off the width and it feels great, my lower back has never been happier!

trickydisco
    Free Member

I’ve been going down the local pump track with my boys recently.

Yesterday a guy turned up on a tricked out bmx (in his 40’s same as me). He let me have a go. I loved it! so fast. Didn’t have any brakes on though.

Got me thinking i’d love to pick up a second hand bmx.

What should i be looking at? whats the deal with sizing? do they pretty much fit anyone? think the one i rode was 20.5 inch?

trickydisco
    Free Member

Any good makes i should be looking at?

Saw a Fly neutron on ebay which didn’t look too bad

also a mongoose legion L60

sharkattack

I’m not up to date on current bikes and models but Fly make nice bikes. As do Fit, BSD, Sunday, We the People etc.

The vast majority of frames have 20.5″ top tubes but some modern bikes have longer reach and taller head tubes. I think people have finally realised that these things are actually ridden by young adults and grown men and not just the 8 year olds that they were originally designed for.

So yes, they’re all tiny, twitchy, danger machines but if you want to ride one you get used to it.

Also, I’ve got a new favourite frame…
    bsdforever.com/products/sureshot-frame

trickydisco
    Free Member

How about Mafia kush ?

escrs
    Free Member

Ive been riding BMX since the 80’s, im now 45 and still reguarly ride Southsea skatepark (my local park since 1992)

It does take longer to heal now compared to 30+ years ago but the enjoyment is still there

Have friends who are in their 50’s who still ride (ex pro’s) who have no plans to stop riding and bmx is their life

Here’s a couple of pics of me riding over the years, been an S&M guy since 1993, with a soft spot for Standard’s

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Gng8hoC9L8RpqbxH8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5to52FbwCyH7MCyz7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rjg6cvvA2VYSmG4y8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UhXfUiCbAXjd7yXu7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DTQPs7KeAra7bDdQ6

trickydisco
    Free Member

Spotted this on YouTube

Brutal but good progression

trickydisco
    Free Member

Rather than back go BMX in your 40’s, how about getting into BMX in your 40’s ?

Any recommendations? Been looking around at some 2nd hand one’s. What are some good makes? Mongoose, GT, Mafia, Wethe people?

As above. TT lengths. i;m 5’9″ and by all accounts should be 20.5 to 21″? Can you not adjust with a longer stem?

found this pretty decent GT that came up on fb marketplace

or this mongoose legion

it’s a 20″ TT though

TheBrick
    Free Member

Mafia

No!
    Out of the GT or mongoose the GT probably

trickydisco
    Free Member

interesting. I have heard other ppl say no to Mafia

Someone mentioned GT are more race orientated. How do i tell this?

sharkattack

Mafia make BSO level BMX’s or at least they did last time I worked in a shop and had to fix the bloody things.

Some might be but they’ll be easy to spot because they’ll look like race bikes. Avoid anything with a massive chainring and a V-brake. Everything else will be a normal do anything BMX.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Mafia make BSO level BMX’s or at least they did last time I worked in a shop and had to fix the bloody things.

GT and mongoose are not dissimilar now that they are more corporate brands, but I think the main Thing with Mafia is they are direct to consumer only and screw the small bmx shops which as I am sure you are aware are few and far between now. It the old because there is not the money on bmx compared to mtb people are protective. (I know you probably know this but just for others who may be reading).

They have a good freestyle team again now, as above a race bike looks very different, loooong back end, canti, big chainring, aluminium or carbon usually.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Here’s a couple of pics of me riding over the years, been an S&M guy since 1993, with a soft spot for Standard’s

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rjg6cvvA2VYSmG4y8

FBR!

Is that the Charlton ramp?

sirromj

Saw this and thought of you lot, this could be you soon 😉
    Probably not, but inspiring all the same 🙂

bigdean

So I’ve kind of made a commitment to myself to actually try to ride more often.
    I went to Asylum last night after work, first time since breaking my arm in the summer.

I’m basically back at beginner, the bike felt twitchy and wobbly and turning on the vert walls got a bit sketchy at times. Strangely I had to lower the bars (swapped spacers from under the stem). My goal is nothing more that to ride the BMX once a week and get a bit more confident on the bike again.
    I can’t get used to the brakes being rubbish years ago I would be breakless, but not really at a level where that’s safe at the min.
    I was great though 1 1/2 hrs and knackered this morning 👍

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.