Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • back door glazing bead?
  • sadexpunk

just painted our back door, white gloss. masking taped the 6 small panes in the door but after peeling off its still quite scruffy around the edges, and shows some of the previous dark wood right in the corners.

the best way i can think of tidying it up is some thinnish bead/filler type strip that i just cut off and stick into the edges, so it looks like its been siliconed if you see what i mean? im sure if i attempted that (or caulk) itd look messy tho, using a gun in such small spaces and only wanting a thin bead, hence the idea of ready made strip that just pushes in.

its not external, theres a utility room beyond, so no need for weatherproofing, its purely cosmetic. (and yes that paint smudge on the glass has already been removed 😀 )

ive googled glazing bead, filler bead, glazing strip etc etc but not finding anything suitable.

am i going to have to attempt caulk? :-/

thanks

r17anm
    Free Member

You can use masking tape on the glass a few mm from the bead before caulking, I would do one side at a time rather than trying to tape right round

sadexpunk

ok, thats an idea. thanks

chickenman

That needs a seal between the bead and the glass and the paint should lap over it and just onto the glass. Water will go down the gap and your door will be ruined. Do not use caulk or silicon, use white CT1 or an over paintable all weather sealant (cut the nozzle end so you’re just applying a tiny bead of it, trim with a very sharp blade when set if required).

sadexpunk

Water will go down the gap and your door will be ruined.

the back door is internal, theres a utility room beyond with an external door. this one sees no weather.

thanks

houndlegs
    Free Member

If you silicon it, get a fugi tool, think thats what they’re called, makes it very easy to get a good finish.

sadexpunk

thanks, never heard of them but a bit of investigation sent me down a rabbithole of youtube vids. initially wondered why youd spend money on them when you could just snip the corner off an old credit card or something, but the vids seem to have won me over 😀

houndlegs
    Free Member

Aye, I thought that but decided to give it a go when I refurbed the bathroom, and it made a massive difference. Looks like a pro done it for me 😁

sadexpunk

the youtube vids actually show a problem with them in that theyre too wide to go behind taps and the like? and i cant think of many silicone jobs that wouldnt have to negotiate taps.

matey seemed to use the fugi wiper, then for taps switched to a lolly stick type of tool which could fit behind the taps. so why not just use that in the first place?

seem pretty pricey tho for a few lolly sticks with a bit of plastic on the end…..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Those kits are brilliant, and there’s enough of them to cut one thinner for behind taps etc.

sadexpunk

which kits, the lolly sticks or the original fugi tools? im guessing you mean fugi?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, the fugi kit.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘back door glazing bead?’ is closed to new replies.