Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Back after 10 years – what have I missed & what’s everyone riding?!
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

Hmm, well from what i can figure out:

29ers are the thing to be on, unless you’re really small, but even then the really small 29ers are ace.

XC bikes are slacker and more capable than a trail bike from 10 years ago, they also weigh less.

No one really rides traditional XC anymore, they just plough through it on 130 to 150mm travel gnarpoons, which are also quite light, if between 26 and 30lbs is light.

Gravel bikes are just morphing into the original shonky 29ers from the dawn of 29ers and they most definitely are not CX bikes in disguise.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I am deeply unfashionable, still riding 26″ wheeled bikes (and the same 26″ wheeled bikes I had 10 years ago at that), much of it on hardtails (steel ones) and don’t own an electric bike (and don’t intend to, until I’m so decrepit that it’s the only option).

I have slightly modernised most of my bikes to 1x set-ups though.

montylikesbeer

Welcome back to the fold says the man who has only been back himself a week.

I go away seven years, then come back and my 2009 Orange 5 26″ is a relic.

Hey ho, it was still fun last night carting over the tops of Rossendale giving the old light a run out.

Like as said above, some thing dont change, these being getting out and having a right load of fun.

Enjoy

SuperScale20
    Free Member

A big change for me has to be costs of bikes which I will say are an absolute joke. Although still fun.

epicsteve
    Free Member

A big change for me has to be costs of bikes which I will say are an absolute joke

I’ve noticed the same. I’m still riding my 2003 Epic and I think I will continue to do so given the cost of the current ones which run from £4K to about £11K or so!

mountainmonkey2.0
    Free Member

Hey Keva! Ah that rock lobster was a beaut – I’m glad you got a good few years out of it!

I’ve always liked the look of the anthem for a do it all bike, sadly there are none to be found at the moment, but who knows what the future might bring.

To be honest, I’m a bit torn between a HT or FS – I can see the benefits of both. Though at the moment – I’ll go with whatever fits me & my budget.

There are a few 160mm bikes around, they look like great fun, but that just seems like so much travel… But I don’t know, maybe that’s the norm these days? I guess that’s partly why I need this thread – I’ve no idea what most people ride these days!

I’m desperate to get on the trails, but in the meantime, I’m very grateful I still have my road bike to keep me sane!

mountainmonkey2.0
    Free Member

I go away seven years, then come back and my 2009 Orange 5 26″ is a relic

That was my last bike – I bloody loved it! Such a huge grin factor after always riding hardtails! If one popped up SH, I’d buy it like a shot! Plus, I’m so short, I can’t help but think 26″ wheels still make sense for me.

mountainmonkey2.0
    Free Member

I am deeply unfashionable, still riding 26″ wheeled bikes (and the same 26″ wheeled bikes I had 10 years ago at that), much of it on hardtails (steel ones)

You sound like a kindred spirit epicsteve. I’d love an old steel HT to crop up in the classifieds – even better if it were singlespeed, which I can only assume would make me even more deeply unfashionable…?

squirrelking
    Free Member

I am deeply unfashionable, still riding 26″ wheeled bikes (and the same 26″ wheeled bikes I had 10 years ago at that), much of it on hardtails (steel ones) and don’t own an electric bike (and don’t intend to, until I’m so decrepit that it’s the only option).

X3

Oh and nobody posts bikes any more, that’s another great thing you’re about to find out.

Rona

I am deeply unfashionable, still riding 26″ wheeled bikes (and the same 26″ wheeled bikes I had 10 years ago at that)

Same here.

Hi mountainmonkey – hope you get an mtb sorted soon. I’m another who is getting back to riding after a few years away, and will continue to ride my old bikes. I’m also on the small stature end of the scale (5’2″) and suspect I’ll be happiest to stick with 26″. Like you, I’m swithering over which bike (for me, to fix up first) – FS or HT – will probably go with FS … HT is singlespeed at the mo – was considering going back to geared, but the gearing changes have thrown me a bit!

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’d love an old steel HT to crop up in the classifieds – even better if it were singlespeed, which I can only assume would make me even more deeply unfashionable…?

Maybe I should list my Inbred in the classifieds – although it’s just recently been returned from rigid singlespeed to geared hardtail spec! I’ve got a Soul and a BFe so the Inbred isn’t getting that much use.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Hey, good to see you back! I only pop in from time to time but still riding and yup 26″ still rocks for us tiny folk (although I must admit to spending more time on 20″ers now).

OwenP

Hmmm the feedback so far feels a bit like a synopsis of what’s changed in mtb over 10 years…if you are over, ahem, “a certain age”.

Over that time new riders have grown up into the sport and that has definitely changed some of the influences mtb has had – the younger crop of riders and social media has changed some of the attitude manufacturers seek to reflect in their bike lines, not just 50:01 but that reflects this a bit. Not always great (Sick…) but it would be weird to leave this out of a “what’s changed” update. But then, you knew you were asking on STW…;)

thepurist

There are a few 160mm bikes around, they look like great fun, but that just seems like so much travel… But I don’t know, maybe that’s the norm these days? I

Ah well that’ll be the Enduro effect – everyone “needs” more travel these days. 160 is the new 140, 130 is the new 100 etc.

Though actually modern damping and suspension design means that long travel isn’t as much like riding a marshmallow as it used to be so pedaling a bigger bike up hills isn’t much of a handicap, and short travel is way more capable so riding a smaller bike down hills isnt much of a handicap 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Back after 10 years – what have I missed & what’s everyone riding?!’ is closed to new replies.