Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Back after 10 years – what have I missed & what’s everyone riding?!
  • mountainmonkey2.0
    Free Member

Hello STWers, it’s been 10 years but I’m back 😀 (I’m not expecting anyone to remember me, but I’m excited! 😬).

So, what has happened over the past decade of mountain biking & what’s everyone riding these days?! (Please show me your bikes!)

teamslug
    Free Member

Welcome back. You’ve missed loads. We’re all riding hoverboards now.

lunge

Gravel is the new XC, XC is about to become the new gravel.
    Everyone bought and then sold a single speed, a fat bike, a CX bike and a 27.5er.
    EBikes are a big thing, they either let you have more fun in the same time frame, whilst working just as hard or they’re for fat, lazy biffers who don’t like pedalling. There is some truth in both statements.
    TJ has gone and come back. Others have followed a similar path.
    This place is still rammed full of awesome people and the very occasional idiot.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

(Please show me your bikes!)

Guess you’ll be wanting locations and any alarm codes as well?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Ive been away for 2 years and just come back and its chaos. You’re going to be stuffed …… 12 gears on the back and one on the front ……….. no fat bikes……… different axles……

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

All the cool kids have skinwalls. On gravel bikes, obviously.

theboatman
    Free Member

My pubes have gone grey, and I have a lovely new Orange Clockwork Evo.

mountainmonkey2.0
    Free Member

Damnit, teamslug – I knew Marty was right!

Lunge – this is exactly the executive summary I was after 👌

Thrustyjiat, this what I was afraid of – when I left everyone was getting excited about 29ers – is that still a thing?! (Not actually joking)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My pubes have gone grey, and I have a lovely new Orange Clockwork Evo.

Pics?

mountainmonkey2.0
    Free Member

Lol

mountainmonkey2.0
    Free Member

Next question – is a gravel bike not a cx bike?

lunge

To add further:
    Listen to Flashy on tyre choice but not on footwear.
    Brexit.
    Running is the new road riding, road was the new MTB. See previous comment on gravel and XC to complete the circle.
    Stems are either very short or very long. There is no-one who runs a 100mm stem anymore.
    Zwift can be glorious, many smash huge mileage on it and boast of vast FTP’s. It can also be mind numbingly boring and frankly you need to man up and ride outside in the rain.
    Commuters are still, and always will be the bravest and hardest of all cyclists.
    Tyres are now good, and actually grip. Even ones made by Continental.
    Think your old bike was long enough and had the right geometry? Wrong. It is too short, to steep and has the wrong size wheels.

lunge

Next question – is a gravel bike not a cx bike?

No.
    CX – shorter, steeper angles and very stiff, no bosses or mounts, 35mm tyres, designed to be trashed around muddy field for an hour.

Gravel – longer, slacker, more comfortable, for longer days out. Often covered in way more mounting points than you’ll every need. Room for huge tyres, some are basically 29” MTB’s with drop bars, some are slack road bikes with bigger tyres.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Oh and plenty of debates on seat tube angles and the need for at least 20 bottle mounts in various places. Some bikes have fork angles like Orange County Choppers and facial hair is now silver not brown…………….
    Its all fun to get into this again though, even if a run of the mill bike is 7 grand and must weigh 40 lbs due to needing a dropper post and handlebars wider than the Thames Estuary.
    Now, I only have shillings and pence for a new bike as needed as my 29er hardtail has 3 chainrings on the front..

TheBrick
    Free Member

Gravel bikes are like old light weight touring bike with mud guards removed. An ideal all round bike really plus some marketing bullshit.

mountainmonkey2.0
    Free Member

This is very informative!

So, what actually constitutes a “standard” trail bike? Is that even still a thing?!?

I currently don’t have a bike (not for want of bloody trying!) but now I fear even if I do manage to find one for sale that will actually fit me – it might be ALL WRONG! What if it doesn’t have enough bottle bosses or the seat angle is just too steep?!

gingerbllr
    Free Member

The main thing you’ve missed is bikes are actually good now. 1x, dropper posts, suspension that works etc etc. As much as people like to complain about the minutiae, performance vs price is as better than its ever been.

Its basically impossible to buy a bad full suss trail bike from any major brand in 2020. There is too much choice, so pick something that sparks joy and go ride it.

SaxonRider

My only knobbly-tyred bike is a CX, and all of my bikes have drop bars.

NormalMan

Downcountry will be the new Gravel, which was the old XC. Maybe…

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Back after 10 years?

Long time! You’ll probably find the “air got dirty and the sex got clean.”

tthew

Commuters are still, and always will be the bravest and hardest of all cyclists.

I ♥ you Lunge.

The two basic rules haven’t changed.

Rule 1.
    Rule 2, all bikes are great.

mountainmonkey2.0
    Free Member

Ah OK, I’m beginning to get the picture…

It’s great to hear that bikes have come on so much. I used to have a steel HT back in the day, so 1x appeals. Gravel bikes sound fun too, but I’m definitely keen to get myself a mountain bike first…

It’s just a shame I appear to have inadvertently picked the worse possible time to buy a bike! Does anyone know anywhere that has any in stock?

Obviously I’m keeping an eye out in the classifieds, but as a 5’3″ woman options are often a bit limited – even at the best of times.

Does anyone have any tips on places that might have something suitable for sale still or any good sites for secondhand bikes/frames (which would definitely be my preference)??

zezaskar
    Free Member

Welcome back.

Now listen carefully:
    – every bike now weights 50% more
    – every bike is an enduro bike in some capacity. Except gravel bikes, those are xc bikes
    – every bike must have enduro tyre, or better yet, DH casing tyres
    – if you’re not “shredding” or “stoked” you’ll be publically lynched.

Good luck

Poopscoop

27.5 is the new 26″. As in its going Dodo.

All the cool kids have 29ers now.

Yes, I’m very cool.

Welcome back by the way. With the state the world is in, it’s a great time to get back into riding. Whatever the wheel size!

nuke

One word…mullet. You’re welcome

Lionheart
    Free Member

I’ve just realised who you are! And we have one of your old bikes in the shed!
    Now running 1×11..

View post on imgur.com

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

29’ers for wheels on the ground ploughing!

Dropped chains are rare with 1x gearing even when clattering the shit out of your bike.

Droper posts make riding steeps better.

Oh and people don’t use XC tyres made of tissue anymore. Guess what punctures don’t happen as often, it’s a miracle who’d av thought it.

If we did a straw poll road bikes would come out on top here.

matt_outandabout

What’s riding? We only talk here.

mountainmonkey2.0
    Free Member

Lionheart – hello! 👋 Awesome that you’re still here & still riding, etc. I don’t suppose you fancy selling that bike back to me, do you?? Please 🙏 🙏

mountainmonkey2.0
    Free Member

What’s riding? We only talk here

Ah it’s good to know some things haven’t changed.

sscx
    Free Member

35mm tyres

The UCI offical would like a word about your excessively large tyres. Those socks look a bit long too

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Obviously I’m keeping an eye out in the classifieds, but as a 5’3″ woman options are often a bit limited – even at the best of times.

Bought an electric bike for the current Mrs TJ ( no not that one) and she is 5ft and getting lower. We were lucky in that we got one, as they sold out soon after, even for teeny weeny size. Being your height you may have a ‘better chance’ of finding something than a medium to large, but its going to take time trawling as everyone has bought everything. 29 er for your height is daft. Wifes bike is a 650B plus and the wheels look huge.
    Hope you find something soon and get back out there 🙂

boblo
    Free Member

mountainmonkey2.0
    <snip>Obviously but as a 5’3″ woman

Aw crikey, that’s got their attention… That much hasn’t changed at least, ‘they’re’ still like hormonal teenage boys 😉

BadlyWiredDog

The main thing you’ve missed is bikes are actually good now.

Bikes were always ‘actually good’. Everything is different, everything is the same. You still sit on them and pedal. You still get tired and laugh and cry and occasionally fling your bike into the gorse in frustration.

You still meet up with your mates, or head off on your own and come back hours later tired and happy. You still eat cake and drink coffee or do beer and chips post ride. The industry still comes up with new standards, new materials, new gear configurations, new BS, just as it ever was.

But when all is said and done, riding bikes is still just riding bikes 🙂

jd13m
    Free Member

That much hasn’t changed at least, ‘they’re’ still like hormonal teenage boys

hormonal teenage boys never change no matter what age we become…..

daern
    Free Member

Largely unrelated to your absence (but welcome back anyway!) but sadly this isn’t a great time to buy a bike of any sort. As you’ve probably read elsewhere, bikes have been the bog-roll of lockdown with the supply chain more or less cleared out of new bikes and used bikes (at least those of a certain type) being heavily in demand and commanding stupid prices.

That’s not to say that there won’t be some out there, but just at the moment the “12 month old bike for less than half price” norms of used bike purchases seem to be very much in abeyance 🙁

Riding bikes is still just as fun though 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Basically it’s only pensioners and 9 year olds that ride hardtails now, the fitter pensioners bought into gravel, everyone else is on super capable FS bikes now.

jd13m
    Free Member

somewhat XC but looks like small should fit 5’1″
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mountain-bike-xc-050-id_8575904.html

Keva
    Free Member

hi Mountainmonkey 🙂 I remember you! – unfortunately the little red Rock Lobster found a new home a couple of years ago. I did thoroughly enjoy riding all that time but moving house and a new bike meant I no longer had space for it.

I’ve not been through the thread in detail but looks like you’re after a new bike. I bought a Giant Anthem a couple of years back, my first FS bike after years on hardtails. I went for the 2017 model though which has 27.5in wheels with 130mmm up front and 110mm on the back. There’s probably none left now though unless you looked second hand. Are you still after a hardtail though?

jekkyl

Do pubes really go grey? 😩 At what age roughly does this happen? Sounds awful, the old chap will look like a sickly Gandalf 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Back after 10 years – what have I missed & what’s everyone riding?!’ is closed to new replies.