Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Babysitting – what are you all paying?
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

This forums as good as any for a well balanced chat about child exploitation and labour so here we go 🙂

The neighbours have just asked youngest daughter (age 14) if she’s interested in doing any babysitting and have offered £4 an hour which seems cheap to me

We’re a bit out of the loop with babysitters as the kids are a bit older and look after/fight amongst themselves when we are out on the lash these days

Back in the day we paid a fiver and then £5 an hour rounded up on top which my mate who’s daughters we used used to say was a little generous but we never had any issues with their availability

So what is the going rate?
    Im fairly sure £4 is mean

Cheers!

TheDTs
    Free Member

£7.50 / hour for a CRB checked 21 year old. My nephew gets £5 / hour and unrestricted Internet!
    Bristol, and don’t ask for their contact details they are my babysitters not yours and I don’t want them looking after your kids when I want to go out. 😉

Hoff

£5 an hour here for our 16 year old neighbour – Probably ends up nearer £10 as the misses is always far too generous after a few shandys!

sweaman2
    Free Member

In Canada I’m paying $8 / hour for a friend of the family so exactly the same as 4GBP for a friend of the family. We tried to offer more but were told we were already increasing her funds hugely compared to pocket money and so that was fine.

If we use another who’s 16 then it’s $10 rounded up to the highest hour. (So 2.5 hours = $30)

To some extent it depends on how much they’re doing. Sweajnr1 is 18 months and so is in bed at 7. So come round at 7:30pm and call us if there’s a problem is much less effort then come around at 5 and do the whole feeding, bath and bed routine.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

She’s 14…£4 seems like loads to her. It’s not a job, it’s pocket money and an education.

I’d be tempted to say let your daughter decide and don’t be that dad.

Xylene
    Free Member

I pay around 6pounds per 12 hours or around 50p per hour for a qualified nanny.

devlaeminck
    Free Member

£4 an hour seems fair to me – my daughter is on less than a fiver at 17 for a part time job working in in Macdonalds which in turn is more than her mates working at the local chippy and whilst no doubt the neighbours aren’t throwing in a free burger and fries you can’t do your homework during your shift in MacDs.

loddrik
    Free Member

I must be a neurotic parent as I couldn’t leave someone I didn’t know in charge of my kids that wasn’t a school, crb or not.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Babysitting – what are you all paying?’ is closed to new replies.