Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Babies in bike trailers how old?
  • waller
    Free Member

Hey guys,

I’m going to be a dad for the first time and wanted to get a bike trailer. Obviously down to head control but roughly how old do they need to be before you take them out in one? Also can anyone recommend a specific type?

Cheers 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Once they can support their head basicaly 6-12 months

You can take them out in car seat if you put that in the trailer – in that case aged 1 day

waller
    Free Member

Lovely thanks Junkyard. Thought it would give the baby and me a nice break from Mum 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

Makes sure the seat is secure and still reward facing though
    I used those strap thingies you use for securing bikes on racks to secure the seat to the trailer frame.

I then minced just in case

waller
    Free Member

I’m from Brighton. Mincing is on the national curriculum in schools down here 🙂

rossi46
    Free Member

What Junkyard said, but also i would add that you shouldn’t take them offroad till they are a bit older. And go easy on potholes, up kerbs (if you have to) and on speedbumps etc 😉

rossi46
    Free Member

My two love it- i didn’t take either of them out till they were at least 18 months old though. And offroad for the first time when they were about 2.

It’s great riding along listening to the giggling coming from behind 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes sorry should have said that is on smooth off road cycle routes as well

I’m from Brighton. Mincing is on the national curriculum in schools down here

😀

adjustablewench
    Free Member

There was a baby sling seat available when I was looking (many moons ago) I thinknit was made by a company called weber

It fits a lot of trailers and takes babies from birth.

waller
    Free Member

That’s a brilliant picture!

Are the eBay cheapy ones any good?

rossi46
    Free Member

That’s a brilliant picture!

Thanks 😀

Mines a Phillips Shetland one, i bought it from a mate for £30 after his son got his own bike.
    Iv’e seen some pretty good ones in Go Outdoors for about £119- Decathlon ones are similar, they look pretty much the same as mine. So that means i can recommend them 😉
    £119 is about right for a two seater…

hatter

Took our nipper out (very very carefully) for the first time when he was about 7 months, he loved it and it sent him to sleep better than anything else we’d tried up to that point, transferring a snoozing infant from trailer to cot soon became a well honed skill.

From about ten months he was more than happy to go for longer, faster road rides and after about a year we started venturing off road. Unintentionally Got him airborne at the FOD at 13 months, he didn’t even wake up!

Mind you this is in a Chariot Cougar 1, which has pretty decent head support and suspension, without this we’d probably have waited much longer.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Babies in bike trailers how old?’ is closed to new replies.