Babies and Bikes – Have you taken yours out and if so how?

Home Forum Bike Forum Babies and Bikes – Have you taken yours out and if so how?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Babies and Bikes – Have you taken yours out and if so how?
  • AndyP

3mths onwards, in one of those chest-mounted baby carrier things.
    then when they get too heavy, whack ’em in a trailer.
    Then when they start walking, give ’em a Rothan.

wildrnes

any second now some one will tell you that the child will die if you dare take it out on a bike

if that were true my daughter would be dead

we have used so far, a front mount carrier, a ruccsack carrier, a trailer, and soon i will be buying a weeride (as long as i can get it to fit)
    i am also eyeing up a LOCT chair, i don’t really think i want to put my daughter in a rear mounted seat, my rs isn’t the best thing to look at for the duration of a ride

have fun, but take it slow, bit of common sense where and how you ride and all will be good (remember breastfeeding stops during a ride can take a while, so pack warm clothes), oh and little one will get cold faster than you will

Cool we’ve got one of those already and she will be 3 months come main part of the summer.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Reading with interest as I hope to get daughter out on bike with me in summer.

What weight/age have you lot started putting yr kids in those rear seat contraptions?

Can you get full-face helmets in 6-9 months size?

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

We always used a trailer – mainly because we had two to carry, but also I think they are marginally safer offroad…
    Again, was about 4 months when we took them first, very carefully. By a year old they love it, and by three are wanting to be on the tag-along…

Premier Icon jonathan
    Subscriber

Started in a trailer at about 5 months (I think) – Chariot CX1 with baby support. Rothan from about 20 months, pedals (Islabike Cnoc) from 3 and a bit. Trailer still in regular use too (just turned 4).

Currently hunting for a decent tag-a-long that’ll cope well with singletrack for some longer rides.

clubber

I’ve just put together a bike (pic below, ok, I’m pretty happy with it…) to fit a seat (Rhode Gear Taxi) on – mini-clubber (9.5 months) will be getting his first go on it on Friday. Really looking forward to it as I think he’ll love it…

He’s a really big strong lad though – over 25lbs which means he’s sized more like a 15-18month old baby so I’d have been happy enough to put him in it a while back if the weather had been good enough.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Currently hunting for a decent tag-a-long that’ll cope well with singletrack for some longer rides.

We had same problem – in the end I bought a cheap second hand Schwinn one, and used plastic from ice cream tubs etc to pad out the wobbly connections/joints, pulled apart hub bearings etc and re-greased. It now tows straight without wobbling, and is great.

johni

I took JnrI out for his first spin last Saturday just on local paths. He is 9 months old.

I can cope with the excited uuuuuuoooooooooing so we are off to Delamere this weekend.

My Cove Handjob now be-decked with Nice bike seat

Also found a helmet small enough too (MET Elfo) 47cm head upwards

Has any of you family bikers taken a baby out on your bike, if so how and at what age?

I know you can get seats etc. that seem to mount on the back of the bike and the backpack carriers, not sure what would be best if a good idea at all?

I would keep off the road and on quiet toll paths / forest fire roads etc. so would be fairly safe (no more dangerous than taking her in the car!).

Experience, ideas, setups etc. greatly appreciated…

jfeb

The key measure is whether or not the child/baby is big/strong enough to wear a helmet (if you want them to wear one). Helmets are “relatively” heavy so just because a child can control its head normally does not necessarily mean it can control its head with a helmet.

I am more conservative than some with regards to when I think it is appropriate to take a child in a trailer or a bike seat but i put my own children in a trailer from about 9 months and they don’t wear helmets as the design of the trailer seat pushes a helmet forward over their eyes and is very uncomfortable for them.

I don’t carry my children in backpack carriers etc because I consider it too risk, although your mileage may vary.

Premier Icon mick_r
    Subscriber

We had them in trailer from pretty young but can get bumpy quickly on fire road etc.

Eldest went in kiddy seat from about 1 year but handling of bike was pants and he hated getting jolted about. So I made something to solve the problem….
    http://www.atomiczombie.com/gallery/alisonrushton/recumbent.htm

Other good but very expensive suspension stuff here http://www.tout-terrain.de/1/produkte/kinderanhaenger/kinderanhaenger.html

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

I don’t carry my children in backpack carriers etc because I consider it too risk, although your mileage may vary.

I’d agree with that one. The chances of an accident may not be hugely worse, but the potential consequences of one are rather similar to those of having your baby sitting in the front seat of your car not strapped in.

Mini-aracer first went in a trailer at ~6 months in a car seat. Definitely reckon a trailer is better for younger children as given proper support (eg the specific Chariot kit we used) you can get away with them having less good head control.

It all depends on your culture. My sister who lives in holland was taking her kid in a papoose from about 6 wks IIRC, front mounted seat from 4 months, rear mounted seat from a year old. The kids loved it.

What is mentioned above about helmets is true – be very cautious about putting helmets on young kids – their necks won’t stand it. So if you insist on them having a helmet then probably not until they are at least a year old.

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

…cue the pro-helmet fascists…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Babies and Bikes – Have you taken yours out and if so how?’ is closed to new replies.