Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • BA vs. VA
  • spence
    Free Member

Have flown BA long haul cattle class so know what that's like. Any experience or opinions on Virgin cattle class for the same flight?
    Thanks

iDave
    Free Member

i'd go virgin every time without fail

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Odd, as I would choose BA every time!

Although, I'd rather not fly cattle ever again if at all possible!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    whytetrash

Chances of Virgin staff going on strike and messing up your travel plans are very slim…that would make my decision easy at the mo!

Flaperon

Cattle class on BA gets unlimited free drinks and snacks. Dunno about VA.

uplink
    Free Member

Which route though?
    VA still runs some pretty tired [internally] 747s out of Gatwick

bluebird
    Free Member

Let's be honest BA long haul cattle class is hardly Ryan Air : )

Never had a problem with BA, but friends tell me Virgin are good too.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

flown both. BA club and cattle. VA cattle.

I'll be honest, BA was the more pleasant experience (when comparing economy). just all seemed a bit more relaxed and at ease. the interiors are (iME better). VA, on the route I flew was a bit more 'package holiday' than premium airline "ladies and gentleman, boys and girls" etc.

TBH though, I'd always go for the cheapest. neither are exactly unpleasant, and both give free booze out, which, sadly for me is high on my list of priorities on a long flight!

tracknicko
    Free Member

Ryan air! first and last experience was last week. i am prepared to never use them again regardless of cost.
    total scum.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Top tip – Turn up smartly dressed, with smart luggage and ask (very politely) for an upgrade. More likely to be upgraded if well dressed!

spence
    Free Member

Thanks. Flying LHR to San Fracisco, it's for work and have done it the last three years with BA but this time it's being suggested to use VA (nearly 25% cheaper ??). Not so bad as will get to ride Mt. Tam & Taramancho again.

cp

go VA then if it's that much cheaper!!!!

kevonakona
    Free Member

NO!!!!!!!!!!!! if it's for work assuming you will do some there you need to arrive relaxed and ready to give your best therefore whichever airline is most relaxing which according to this thread so far is BA.

cp

doubt its that clear cut as I would imagine 'in general' Virgin's interiors will be more modern, whereas BA will have some old stock with AA like interiors 🙁

Helios
    Free Member

Virgin…. I love Virgin… I love the little red suits the stewardesses wear… I love the smiles and the "Can I get you anything thing Sir?"

Mmmmmmm… Happy days…

david_r
    Free Member

cattle class is cattle class… you can't polish a turd. No difference in either of them IMHO.

molgrips
    Free Member

I fly LHR to Chicago most often, and BA has always been best on that route. Virgin cabin crew were ruder, the plane was crappier (ie no on-demand seat back entertainment) and it all seemed like more of an effort for those working on the airline.

However I'll only choose my favourite airline if there's not more than say £20 or £30 difference. Having said that, the more I fly the more I am prepared to pay for a better experience.

Despite favouring BA tho I have yet to fly from T5 🙁

Oh and from what I hear, asking for an upgrade is likely to push you to the bottom of the list. I think crews favour those who aren't demanding or pushy.. my wife's mother and aunt are the nicest least demanding meekest most helpful people you'd ever meet.. guess who got upgraded? 🙂

joemarshall
    Free Member

I've flown with Virgin a bunch of times and it has always been nice. I've flown with BA a few times and it has always been a bit uncomfortable, terrible food, grumpy service, dirty etc.

Watch out for 'code shares' though, some of the Virgin flights to the USA are actually run by Continental or United*, who are a bit like the Ryanair of long haul flying. I think BA may code share to some places also. You don't even get alcoholic drinks on them.

Having said all that, even though Virgin is much better in my experience, there's certainly not enough difference between them to make up for 25% difference in price. For that difference I'd probably fly Continental or United if I had to.

Joe

*I think London to San Francisco is sometimes a code share so do check this.

molgrips
    Free Member

BA codeshare with AA.

mefty
    Free Member

I guess you don't get free alcohol on AA.

spence
    Free Member

Thanks for the info. Codes appear to be different different although very similar times.

Price difference – BA £518 vs. VA £405, not quite 25% but enough. Same BA flight last year was £358.

AA do charge for drinks, flew with them to Chicago last year because BA would not do the onward connection times I wanted, home bound plane had to turn around because the engine light came on………………………………………..

allthepies
    Free Member

lol @ mefty, I got it fella!

Drac

Found BA excellent when we went to NYC, they kindly upgraded us to club class on the wait out even though we were in jeans and t-shirts.

-m-
    Free Member

Top tip – Turn up smartly dressed, with smart luggage and ask (very politely) for an upgrade. More likely to be upgraded if well dressed!

Top urban myth more like… Don't bother. Dress in something that you're comfortable in for the flight. On BA out of Heathrow your best chance is to on-line check-in. The vast majority of upgrades are worked out in advance of check-in at the airport opening, there is a pecking order and the airline's best customers (the airline knows exactly who they are) will be nearer the top of the list. However, it is BA's stated policy that those checked in on-line out of LHR come above people that check-in at the airport. Ultimately, enjoy an upgrade if you get one, but don't go looking for one or you'll only be disappointed.

As for VS -v- BA I can't comment.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

m, I always use BA online check in, but have benefitted from the polite asking on numerous occasions. Maybe I fall under "best customers" with a gold card, who knows…! 😉

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

Just doesn't happen like that anymore I'm afraid 🙁

Be very, very nice to whoever checks you in, dress smart but comfy, and you might (might, if there is space in business AND economy has been overbooked) get an upgrade. my colleagues who worked at check in always had the attitude that if people asked for an upgrade they would go to the bottom of the pile, after they offered them the opportunity to buy an upgrade. you don't buy a fiesta and ask if you can have a ferrari instead (fairly apt comparison in terms of price difference).

The other thing is that full fare paying passengers hate it. you would too if you'd dropped 4k on the same seat that someone got for 10% of that.

iDave
    Free Member

wear a fat suit and ask for an upgrade as you're concerned about whoever may have to sit beside you

on any longhaul flight, I ask at check-in if the flight is full. if not, i make sure i'm the very last person to board, then i pick a nice empty row of seats and proceed to lie down at the first opportunity, thus scent marking my territory

david_r
    Free Member

Yeah, the dress smart, ask for an upgrade worked at treat….in 1991!!

It's bollox. The only thing that gets you an almost certain upgrade these days is a bucket load of frequent flyer miles, and then when you do have them by the bucket load, you realise that 1st class is still crap compared to being at home with the family.

-m-
    Free Member

when you do have them by the bucket load, you realise that 1st class is still crap compared to being at home with the family.

There speaks the truth of a man that has travelled too much for work…

tails
    Free Member

m, I always use BA online check in, but have benefitted from the polite asking on numerous occasions. Maybe I fall under "best customers" with a gold card, who knows…!

think we found ourselves a billy bulls**ter, how is britannia?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

tails, I've just travelled rather too much with work and built up the points! Was lucky enough to have someone else pay for a couple of long haul First tickets as well. Sadly it's nothing like as glamorous as international travel should be!

(For example, have been to Madrid about five times recently. Still haven't seen any of the city apart from taxis, hotel rooms and office buildings 🙁 )

-m-
    Free Member

To be fair it's not that difficult to get a gold card on BA if you fly a lot on business in 'premium' cabins (6 long haul returns in business is just about enough to retain a gold card). So much so that on some routes (Hong Kong, Singapore, New York) >90% of the business class cabin will be sat thinking they're one of the 'special' few…

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

not much to add to the discussion other than i seem to have a relatively good record at getting upgraded. maybe 10-15%? just ask nicely, works for me when i bother.

the dressing smartly thing never made much difference either, been upgraded to first from HK to london after 7 weeks of hiking around japan on my own, with a few scruffy days in shanghai and HK before the flight… i stank and had a ginger beard.

that was a GOOD flight…

pacemaker
    Free Member

We have travelled to Florida regularly for the last 5 years with Virgin, they have gone downhill drastically over the last couple of years.

After the last trip we said we would never go with them again.

Have travelled with Northwest to Orlando via Detroit, can't complain about the service or quality.

Can't comment on BA though

dave360

I fly to US 4-5 times a year and I like BA. I've logged the request for a veggie asian meal on the web site (i is no veggie), it's always tasty, plus you get served first. never been upgraded though.

NZCol

I flew VA premium economy LHR-SF last year. Absolute pish. I had actually booked it all via AirNZ and turned up (having got no info from AirNZ) to be treated like absolute scum despite having paid full whack for a PE ticket with AirNZ. No lounge access (StarAlliance Gold Elite), no air points, no status points etc. All seems like whingeing eh ? The AirNZ flights were all great as usual but the difference in Premium Economy from AirNZ to VA was that the former treat it like cheaper business, VA treat it like annoying economy. Service was crap, seats were crap, plane was a mess. Awful. COmplained to AirNZ on my return which is not something i take lightly. They did call me up and we spoke at length about it. I'd not fly VA again on that route and have just booked tickets from LHR to SF again as part of a longer trip but going via LA to avoid VA. Best bit about that is the dude i spoke to just shunted us from PE to business the whole way for nothing !
    Anyway, not having flown BA for ages i can only comment on VA. 😀

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘BA vs. VA’ is closed to new replies.