Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • BA baggage allowance question
  • aka_Gilo
    Free Member

We (me, wife, two kids 11 & 13) are flying to Orlando Florida tomorrow on BA.

We have a baggage weight allowance each, but rather than take 4 cases we want to take 2 large ones with our combined weight allowance in them (or undoubtedly quite a bit under the overall 4 person allowance).

Will we be ok doig it this way, or is there a risk my wife and I will get charged for excessive baggage?

Cheers

trail_rat
    Free Member

good chance youll get charged

also there are limits to what the ground staff can lift under manual handling guidelines.

crispo
    Free Member

Can’t be more than 32kg/bag.

Think generally it’s ok to share your allowance between you. Some airlines have funny rules like you have to have the same family name to do it though.

Edit: Cap’n Flash will know, he knows all things BA on here.

spence
    Free Member

Unfortunately I believe it’s per piece of luggage.

From their e-ticked email.

Checked baggage
    Adults and children: 1 bag at 23kg (51lbs)
    You may be charged for extra or overweight bags. There are restrictions on what you may pack and on the dimensions of your bags.

geoffj

Edit: Cap’n Flash will know, he knows all things BA on here.

He’s got a man to take care of those kinds of details though…

bentandbroken

Risky as you stand to loose a lot more if one of the bags goes missing.

Classic case of potentially putting all you kecks into one basket

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

He’s got a man to take care of those kinds of details though…

🙂

No, but I do have one of these;

Baggage allowance? What’s that?
    8)

As mentioned above, there is often a max bag weight, but this is usually set by the airport. 32kg per bag is pretty much right, I’d say.

gary

BA were arsey with a friend and I when we travelled together with bikes last year – total for 2 bike bags was less than the 46kg combined allowance but the lovely helpful check in lady had us move things between bags to get them both under 23kg.

I did get the impression she had got out of bed the wrong side though, normally they seem to apply a bit more common sense. The 32kg upper limit is definitely one to stay under though.

-m-
    Free Member

You’ll need to split the weight to be less than 23Kg per bag, as stated above.

No, but I do have one of these;

What, an old design BA Gold card? Those ones must be quite cheap on ebay now 😀

chaos

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagchk/public/en_gb?refevent=help

A heavy bag charge may apply to bags over 23kg (51lb).

I’d stick to 23kg as the limit if I were you. Far more likely to comply with your destination airport policies as well.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Cheers all – just phoned the missus at home and told her to repack across 4 cases 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😀 @ -m-

Mine is the new one, obviously. Used only on hold baggage, never on cabin baggage. Always raises a chuckle when I see someone with a blue card on their cheesy laptop carry on! 🙂

Reluctant
    Free Member

Bon voyage, Gilo…… mind out for gators in the swimming pool! 😀

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Cheers Giler 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘BA baggage allowance question’ is closed to new replies.