Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • B+ wheelsets
  • core

Are there any out there that won’t break the bank, and don’t weigh a ton?

jam-bo

not the alpkit rumpus ones.

they only manage one out of the cheap, light, strong.

vincienup
    Free Member

Depends what you call bank breaking.

I’ve got a set of JRA built i35’s on Pro4 that I bought SH but are similar to a standard item. Running Trailblazer 2.8’s they’re not appreciably heavier than my regular Frequency i25 on Pro2Evo or FlowEX based Hope Hoop 27.5 wheel sets with standard 2.3 tyres. They’re actually surprisingly light in the hand! The standard stock items are £370 a pair but come with Bitex hubs not Pro4’s. Bitex aren’t a bad choice though. The JRA wheels are properly handbuilt and excellent quality. On quoted weights (including the 100g markup) they’re best part of half a kilo lighter than the Rumpus wheel set, too … Shame JRA don’t seem to do full custom build of anything that isn’t i9 any more 🙁

http://www.justridingalong.com/wheels/jra-wheels-for-road-disk-mtb-plus-and-fat-bike/jra-mtb-wheels/traildog-asym-i35-wheelset-350.html

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matt_outandabout

not the alpkit rumpus ones.

These wheels are the reason I haven’t just bought a Sonder Transmitter – they seem to weigh a ton, and two folk I have met who had them both had bent/broken them…

jam-bo

i didn’t break mine but they were really really flexy.

jam-bo

and heavy.

muggomagic

I bought these and other than needing truing up after a few rides they’ve been good. Don’t weigh too much either.

Planet x

smogmonster

Ive got a sewt for sale, £125 posted – Sun Ringle Duroc 35mm internal, 40mm external.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-275-wheels-assorted-rotors-motorbike-clothing

vincienup
    Free Member

Those PX wheels are a pretty good buy. You’d struggle to get the rims alone for £150.

The i40’s are about 100g a piece heavier than the i35Asym’s, so unless the hubs and spokes contain dark matter the wheel set should end up around 2200g which isn’t bad at all for the size. If price was comparable then I’d be humming and hawing about i40’s over i35’s for most purposes, but when you can buy two wheel sets and have £70 left over to put toward tyres it’s a compelling argument. The JRA wheels may be a better build though, so possibly they’re stronger. Whether that matters at that price is a different matter. Mine (which were SH and basically unridden) were about the same at £170 though! 😛

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve a set of the Rumpus wheels and they are heavy even without any rubber attached. I’ve not (yet) had any mechanical issues with them but know of a couple of cases where the rim joint has broken/cracked.

Flexy? Well you’ve got a lot of wibbly wobbly rubber there at low(ish) pressures. Not sure if I could differentiate between that moving around and the wheel.

They are typically Alpkit IME, fine for dipping your toe in the water but once you start pushing them then you find their limits sooner than you’d like.

daver27
    Free Member

muggomagic, they look like an absolute bargain! what are the hubs like and did you weigh them at all?

wildc4rd
    Free Member

I still have the stock Roval Traverse 6fattie wheelset on the stumpy, to be honest its really pretty good. Normally the wheelset is the first thing I’d change on a bike, but I don’t have reason to yet.

Hubs are rebadged DT Swiss 360’s, again, seem very reliable so far.

twonks

I’ve just bought some Easton arc 40mm rims on hope pro 4 hubs from crc for around £320.

Not super cheap admittedly, but the rims were on offer and never had an issue with hope hubs.

To be built into a bike this weekend, so will have a ride report shortly after.

muggomagic

I did weigh them after a request to on the PSA thread which alerted me to them. Just checked and they are

Front = 990g
    Rear = 1120g

PSA Thread

The hubs are good. The freewheel ratchet noise sounds expensive too 🙂

daver27
    Free Member

shame the price literally just went up £100 as i was about to buy them.

jonundercover
    Free Member

I have the rumpus wheels, they seem solid but very heavy so I’ve just bought ARC 35’s on hope pro $’s from CC for approx £350. The change in performance is massive! Teh front wheel of the rumpus used to be really hard to turn as it created a gyroscopic effect. The ARC’s are much lighter and responsive when turning. 35mm seems to be the sweet spot, 45mm to wide for my taste.

flange
    Free Member

I have a set of the Hope tech 35’s and they seem pretty good. Not ridden them that much yet, but impressed with the weight, cost and ease at setting them up tubeless. Look pimp too!

chakaping
    Free Member

The Arc 35 rims are back in stock cheap on CRC, so I went for them and my LBS is building onto Hope Pro 4s.

I was gonna get some cheaper hubs from PX, but then an unused Pro4 rear came up cheap locally.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘B+ wheelsets’ is closed to new replies.