Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Ayr coastal route- suitable for gravel bike?
  • lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Weather’s looking good on the coast- is the coastal route rideable or is it more hike a bikey? Thinking of doing a part of it and maybe a wee sneaky overnighter.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’d imagine so, most of it is sustrans and what isn’t would be fine on a gravel bike (only the Portencross to Hunterston jump is off road up this end and it’s just a field to cross). @nobeerinthefridge is probably best to ask about the southern end.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ayrshire coastal path? From ayr north, aye. South, no, definitely not.

espressoal
    Free Member

I did Ayr to Troon without going round the sustrans this week, no worries on that bit, went round the left side of the caravan park at Prestwick and turned right into the golf course, keep sort of left and there is a rough strip, right of way that cuts over to a path right through the golf course, when you come out the other side of the golf course you are in Troon, go me ha.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

@espressoal that’s part of my off-road commute, when I can be bothered!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Email sent George.

If your looking for anything else to fit in with a wee overnighter, loads of options from straiton/Stinchar bridge, I’d be up for it if ye fancy company, as long as it’s no one o they daft gravel rides 😉🤣

squirrelking
    Free Member

The caravan park to golfie was the route before the cycle path existed, for some reason it always felt a bit hairier than the municipal courses.

Barassie/Gailes/Irvine beach is the best route up the way as long as the tide is out (and you’re on a proper bike). Less fun pushing through the sand, obviously.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

I’d be up for that Greg since Arran is nogo. Need to get my MTB ready though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Magic, we’ll talk @squirrelking into it too!

squirrelking
    Free Member

Go for it, just as long as I’m not working or doing dad duties.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

👍🏻

espressoal
    Free Member

Any tips on south from Ayr? I’m ok with lumpy stuff, in my head there is a nearly ridable path as far as Dunure but I might have imagined that.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

From culzean castle to greenan castle is on and off the beach, rocky outcrops, the odd decent bit of path, I’d struggle to say it’s mostly good biking, as it’s not really.

A better route would be from Alloway up along the top toward Carrick hill, over brown carrick and into the woodland, which has a really good climb up and round to Drumshang loch. You could either descend there and pick up the coastal way, or carry on over the old firing range to trees farm, then over the road, up n over mochrum hill and I believe there is a path off the West of the top that goes all the way into culzean.

espressoal
    Free Member

Brilliant, thanks, the OP might also find useful.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Ayr coastal route- suitable for gravel bike?’ is closed to new replies.