Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Axle nuts for Alfine hub
  • keppoch

I have an Alfine hub that I have just built up. Whilst in the cupboard it seems to have lost the axle nuts. I still have the non-rotation washers though.

So can I just use standard axle nuts or do I need the Alfine specific ones? And what size axle/thread is it?

Thanks.

shermer75
    Free Member

Alfine specific. Shimano uses some kind of proprietory thread size. I think I got mine from SJS cycles

mintimperial

Alfine axle nut, other shops are available (probably).

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Don’t believe the hype…

Standard 3/8 axle thread

£1.70 a pair and less likely to catch on rocks, roots and goblin dens:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Cycle-Bicycle-Wheel-Axle-Hub-Nut-/321399584189?var=&hash=item4ad4e875bd:m:mT1dStG5PKhUpuZT6IyCRIA

(I know because I bought a bike trailer with 10mm axle fittings, so had to buy 3/8 helicoils to fit the alfine axle)

slimjim78
    Free Member

I picked up a pair of ‘custom’ nuts on the bay that have an 8mm hex recess, so I don’t have to carry around a spanner/etc with me on rides. Loves em

imnotverygood

I picked up a pair of ‘custom’ nuts on the bay that have an 8mm hex recess, so I don’t have to carry around a spanner/etc with me on rides. Loves em

Linky?

bencooper
    Free Member

Edit: Ignore, mixing up Rohloff and Alfine.

keppoch

Thanks all. Very useful.

Daffy

And me please…

ajantom

Axle nuts these work well (the listed 10mm is actually 3/8ths, so does work) They’re nice and chunky so the spanner gets plenty of purchase – the Alfine ones always seem to round off.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Axle nuts for Alfine hub’ is closed to new replies.