Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • axe restoration
  • neilnevill
    Free Member

interesting. How was it to cut? I’ve a rather worn out elwhell I have considered cutting down to make a pickeroon.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I promised finished photos of the Sandvik. Well it seems I’ve sold it before finishing it, so no polished head and no wrap yet, but otherwise its done.

axe

axe

handle got thinned slightly, lightly scorched, stained, and 2 coats of linseed oil

CountZero

interesting. How was it to cut? I’ve a rather worn out elwhell I have considered cutting down to make a pickeroon.

Not too bad, I was very careful to keep it cool with wet rags and making small cuts removing small sections each time. I was fortunate to be able to find a decent handle that fitted perfectly, probably because that type of head was I think, fairly common as a household ’chopper’.
    It was fun to do, and I didn’t really have much to lose.

timbog160

Impressive work here chaps. That Sandvik handle is smashing. I’m not generally a fan of scorching as I feel it’s easily overdone, but that looks spot on.!!👍

neilnevill
    Free Member

I tend to agree Tim, it’s easy to look over done. I thought I’d try it as I like to just bring the grain out a little, and it helps remove any splinters. I did hear it strengthens the haft too. I’m unconvinced but I guess it may case harden it. The thing is though, if you over do it you can easily undo it, just a few seconds with the sandpaper. I sanded it for literally 20 seconds after scorching, to smooth the raised grain and it calmed down the ebonising very quickly.

Oh and it seems to work well with the oak stain to make the handle look old and well used.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I bought another Sandvik. no country marking so mu guess is Sweden ….Wetterlings forged

I’ve also got another HB head that I picked up, so along with a Wetterlings that’s 3 projects to get me through lockdown #2.

I also need to finish this, but I’ve hung a ‘no name’ made in sweden

Ash handle, think It ended up about 29″

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘axe restoration’ is closed to new replies.